Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JETHRO TULL - This Was (50th Anniversary S. Wilson remix book edition) November 9

I have the 40th Anniv edition, which has just about everything, but the 5.1 mix? And the book?
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    I have the 40th Anniv edition, which has just about everything, but the 5.1 mix? And the book?
    This has a good handful of tracks not included on the double CD, including several previously unreleased outtakes, something called "Ultimate Confusion," "Blues for the 18th," which has never been on a proper Tull release before, "Aeroplane," and a couple of radio spots.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Firstly, some channels on the tape contain more than one element which I could split on to separate channels on the computer. For example on Song For Jeffrey the 4 track tape breaks down as 1. drums/bass, 2. guitar, 3. harmonica, 4. flute/lead vocal. The drums and bass on channel 1 are playing together so I couldn’t separate them, but the flute and lead vocal on channel 4 alternate and are never heard together, so I could split them to give me a 5 channel session: 1. drums/bass, 2. guitar, 3. harmonica, 4. flute, 5. lead vocal.
    So he can take a single track on a tape and separate out all the different elements (up to a point)? How is that even possible?

Quote Originally Posted by jan.gast View Post
    Could you please give a short description about the book, contentwise (photgraphs, interviews..) and esp. how many pages is has ('cause differently to all other announced book-remix-editions nowhere is mentioned this)
    JG
    It's very comprehensive and is 96 pages. It has a huge biography of the band during the time period from the John Evan Band to the recording of This Was, including loads of interview quotes and reminiscing from everyone involved. A lot of the other usual stuff is there (Ian's comments on each track, including the bonus tracks), an article on the studio where it was recorded with interviews from people behind the scenes, Steven Wilson's notes on the remix, a tourography, tons of photos, lyrics, etc. It's really excellent IMO!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    So he can take a single track on a tape and separate out all the different elements (up to a point)? How is that even possible?
    In the example given, it's simple. The original track 4 has Ian alternating between singing and playing flute, and Wilson just copied the vocal sections to one new track and the flute sections to another.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    In the example given, it's simple. The original track 4 has Ian alternating between singing and playing flute, and Wilson just copied the vocal sections to one new track and the flute sections to another.
    Uh, I was reading it wrong, I thought he was talking about pulling an isolated instrument out of a mixed-down track, but what he's doing is taking one track off a four track tape, which isn't the witchcraft I thought it was. I don't know what separating the flute and vocal really does for the sound, though.

Uh, I was reading it wrong, I thought he was talking about pulling an isolated instrument out of a mixed-down track, but what he's doing is taking one track off a four track tape, which isn't the witchcraft I thought it was.
    It's about separating instruments from the same track that are not overlapping.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Uh, I was reading it wrong, I thought he was talking about pulling an isolated instrument out of a mixed-down track, but what he's doing is taking one track off a four track tape, which isn't the witchcraft I thought it was. I don't know what separating the flute and vocal really does for the sound, though.
    It would make it easier to position the elements differently in the mix and with different effects.

The full set has arrived on release day... and the TULL book series grows mightier!

tull boxes.jpg

(Not thrilled about the bumped top corner, but hey, life goes on. )
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I picked it up at my local Bull Moose today. Once again, a great box set and the 4.1 mix is surprisingly immersive.

...and the TULL book series grows mightier!
    tull boxes.jpg
    Nice! I'm jealous. You are sitting on some valuable assets there. By the time I got interested in the series half of them were already sold out. I snoozed I losed…
    Did they never do Benefit in book form or did you just miss that one? I remember there was some controversy on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Nice! I'm jealous. You are sitting on some valuable assets there. By the time I got interested in the series half of them were already sold out. I snoozed I losed…
    Did they never do Benefit in book form or did you just miss that one? I remember there was some controversy on that one.
    They did not do Benefit in the book format - there wasn't really any controversy about it though. Benefit was the third SW-remixed reissue, and at that time (2013), only Thick As A Brick had been released in this 'book' style (Aqualung had been a lavish boxed set as well as a smaller 2-CD digipack.) They hadn't intended to make the book style a running series until the Brick set proved so popular that they did A Passion Play in the same style in 2014 and then continued on from there. Aqualung was eventually reissued again in 2016, this time in the book style, but that's always a big selling title so maybe they felt it was worth it. I don't know if they will bother to reissue Benefit in this format, as the 2013 set is still readily available (Titles like Aqualung andBrick went out of print quickly.) So they may not consider it worthwhile when only a small group of people would be willing to purchase it yet again simply so that it matches the others.

...and yes, I probably would.

The full set has arrived on release day... and the TULL book series grows mightier!

tull boxes.jpg

(Not thrilled about the bumped top corner, but hey, life goes on. )
    Pfffft, but why aren't they sealed as Jed has them?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Pfffft, but why aren't they sealed as Jed has them?
    Are you someone I know?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Are you someone I know?
    (In creepy whisper)...."everybody knows Jed.......everybody....."

Gave this a first listen yesterday. I have to say, the first cut on the first disc starts a bit jarringly....need to get out the original to compare. Overall, I'm Most impressed with the sound of Glenn Cornick's Bass Tone! WOW....especially on disc 2. The drums seemed to have a veil over them tho....
    It was fun to listen to the "previously unreleased" material....to this Old Fan Boy........it stood out and really grabbed my attention!
    The liner notes were again, superb! I agree with Ian....this is how "We Were" at the time.....and by the end of this set.....I was ready for them to move on.
    With Winter coming on.....I think I will do a Tull Binge.....start with this one & reading the liner notes....then move on to the next, etc. With all the extras.....the transition from one album to the next is less jarring when all played in chronological order.
    I'm also 1/2 way through Dave Pegg's Autobiography.....I'm about to get to the point where he joins Tull.

I would say the saddest thing I was left with was missing how Fantastic a young Ian's voice was.....
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    (In creepy whisper)...."everybody knows Jed.......everybody....."
    I guess so, but I find it disconcerting (and kind of invasive) when someone's using my name here, yet I have no clue as to who they are, and they don't include anything in the Location field of the profile. But maybe it's someone I know, I have no clue. For all I know, this is another account used by the banned DocProgger.

I guess so, but I find it disconcerting (and kind of invasive) when someone's using my name here, yet I have no clue as to who they are, and they don't include anything in the Location field of the profile. But maybe it's someone I know, I have no clue. For all I know, this is another account used by the banned DocProgger.
    I do sort of understand that. I revealed my name to a few folks on other music boards back in the day, and after some of 'em started using my name in threads others (I didn't know) naturally picked up on it and started using it. I am in a very different head space now and wouldn't care at all, but at the time it felt slightly odd.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    I do sort of understand that. I revealed my name to a few folks on other music boards back in the day, and after some of 'em started using my name in threads others (I didn't know) naturally picked up on it and started using it. I am in a very different head space now and wouldn't care at all, but at the time it felt slightly odd.
    Yes, it's only when they seem to be (or are blatantly) using your name to slight you, or at your expense, but you don't know who they are. I don't mind when someone I know on PE uses my name, because I know who they are.

In chalkpies defense: He was just referring to the the "quantity" of posts you do here.
    It's hard not to notice your "presence" here.

Your "true" first name was mentioned many times here, so it's no wonder it's got stuck.

It is not a personal thing anyway.

^I didn't have any problem with Chalkpie's post. I've hung out with him in person! He's not anonymous.

I am not anonymous either, I met with many PE-ers (Debby, Yehuda, Udi, Ian, Marc, Aymeric, Steve, etc etc) and do not know you apart for PE.
    I am sorry for using your real name (which I have seen numerous times here in PE), it was a joke and I did not think it will cause such discomfort for you...

I am not anonymous either, I met with many PE-ers (Debby, Yehuda, Udi, Ian, Marc, Aymeric, Steve, etc etc) and do not know you apart for PE.
    Well, you're anonymous on PE. So if you suddenly use my name for a joke at my expense, it shouldn't be surprising that I wonder who you are, if you're in a known band, work for a known label, etc. I know who all the people above are who you mentioned (and have know who several of them are for decades!), but have no idea who you are. I just wouldn't use another member's name in that way unless I knew they know who I am, so that they can take me to task if needed. Seems like common courtesy to me.

I accept your apology, and thanks for it. It's not a big deal, I just like to know who I'm dealing with if my name comes up.

BTW, if you're not anonymous, just mention your first name, or maybe if you're in a band, or represent a label, etc.

I am Erez, closest I got to the things you mentioned was a part time job in MIO records doing some remasters long long time ago,
    Nice to meet you

I am Erez, closest I got to the things you mentioned was a part time job in MIO records doing some remasters long long time ago,
    Nice to meet you
    Great to know you! I have several of the MIO releases. Now I'll try to remember the name that goes with the Avatar and member name!