Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: JETHRO TULL - This Was (50th Anniversary S. Wilson remix book edition) November 9

JETHRO TULL - This Was (50th Anniversary S. Wilson remix book edition) November 9

Yep, it's that time again! Naysayers and whiners be damned, nobody's making you buy it. I'll be first in line....

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/ne...3cddvd-deluxe/

cd9.jpg

Jethro Tull's 1968 debut album, This Was, will be reissued as a 3CD+DVD deluxe edition in November with stereo and surround mixes by Steven Wilson and rare recordings.

This 50th anniversary package includes the original album and bonus tracks remixed in stereo by Steven Wilson, live BBC sessions from 1968, the original mix of the album in both mono and stereo, a flat transfer of the US 1969 stereo mix and the original album and bonus tracks remixed by Steven Wilson in 4.1 DTS and AC3 Dolby Digital surround and 96/24 LPCM stereo (‘Love Story’ and ‘A Christmas Song’ are actually presented as 5.1 mixes).

The Jethro Tull reissues should be familiar by now, so this will be presented in the usual DVD-sized book package filled with an extensive history of the album, track-by-track annotations by Ian Anderson with rare and unseen photographs.

This Was: The 50th Anniversary Edition will be issued on 9 November 2018. Note that at the time of writing, it’s cheaper for US fans to order from the UK since with VAT deducted the price works out at around $33 (plus shipping).
    Last edited by Progatron; 08-29-2018 at 11:30 AM.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I love it. I avoided it for years because of all the snobby, negative comments. I finally bought the CD about 5-6 years ago. Not sure what I was expecting but I loved it immediately. Great album. Top 10 Tull for me.

Ian is God. So is Dave Stewart. So is Tim Smith. And for that, I'm in.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Jethro Tull's 1968 debut album, This Was, will be reissued as a 3CD+DVD deluxe edition in November with stereo and surround mixes by Steven Wilson and rare recordings.
    If I read the description aright, it's only some of the bonus tracks that are getting surround mixes, correct? A surround mix of the album itself always seemed like a dubious proposition, given that it was only a 4-track recording to begin with.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Any chance of releasing some of it on vinyl? I have the original LP, which I've listened to since my high school days. Loving it to death!

Quote Originally Posted by feldman View Post
    Any chance of releasing some of it on vinyl? I have the original LP, which I've listened to since my high school days. Loving it to death!
    The Wilson Tull mixes always come out on vinyl eventually-- though it;s the albums alone, not the bonus material.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    If I read the description aright, it's only some of the bonus tracks that are getting surround mixes, correct? A surround mix of the album itself always seemed like a dubious proposition, given that it was only a 4-track recording to begin with.
    From S. Wilson himself:

The latest remix in the series of Jethro Tull deluxe editions is the band's brilliant debut album This Was, which will be re-released upon it's 50th anniversary as a 3CD/DVD set. Pre-order here: https://rh-ino.co/thiswas50

This Was: The 50th Anniversary Edition features my remix of the original 10 track album in stereo and surround sound, as well as the classic Love Story / Christmas Song single, and 4 previously unissued out-takes mixed from the session reels for the first time. CD2 includes BBC session recordings and other bonus tracks, whilst CD3 includes the original album mix in both stereo and mono. All of this is presented in the now standard case-bound DVD book filled with an extensive history of the album, track-by-track annotations by Ian Anderson, plus rare and unseen photographs.

As the album was originally recorded on 4 track, you can imagine that creating a surround mix was a challenge. However, I believe something quite immersive was achieved (how it was done is explained in detail in the book) and I think surround fans will be pleasantly surprised how effective the mix is. Despite this, I did limit the channel assignment to only 4.1, not making use of the centre channel on this occasion. The exception is the post-album single Love Story / Christmas Song which appears in 5.1, since it was recorded on 8 track and therefore presented greater possibilities.

The 4 disc deluxe 50th anniversary edition of This Was will be released on 9th November by Parlophone / RHINO. As always this is a one-off pressing (many of the previous deluxe Jethro Tull editions are now sold out).
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

As always this is a one-off pressing (many of the previous deluxe Jethro Tull editions are now sold out).
    This raises my hackles a little. There were a couple I couldn't get at the time and now they're OOP.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

This Was: The 50th Anniversary Edition features my remix of the original 10 track album in stereo and surround sound
    So I read the description awrong.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I was hoping for Stormwatch, but the usual autobuy applies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I was hoping for Stormwatch, but the usual autobuy applies.
    Next year, confirmed.

From S. Wilson himself:

The latest remix in the series of Jethro Tull deluxe editions is the band's brilliant debut album This Was, which will be re-released upon it's 50th anniversary as a 3CD/DVD set. Pre-order here: https://rh-ino.co/thiswas50

This Was: The 50th Anniversary Edition features my remix of the original 10 track album in stereo and surround sound, as well as the classic Love Story / Christmas Song single, and 4 previously unissued out-takes mixed from the session reels for the first time. CD2 includes BBC session recordings and other bonus tracks, whilst CD3 includes the original album mix in both stereo and mono. All of this is presented in the now standard case-bound DVD book filled with an extensive history of the album, track-by-track annotations by Ian Anderson, plus rare and unseen photographs.

As the album was originally recorded on 4 track, you can imagine that creating a surround mix was a challenge. However, I believe something quite immersive was achieved (how it was done is explained in detail in the book) and I think surround fans will be pleasantly surprised how effective the mix is. Despite this, I did limit the channel assignment to only 4.1, not making use of the centre channel on this occasion. The exception is the post-album single Love Story / Christmas Song which appears in 5.1, since it was recorded on 8 track and therefore presented greater possibilities.

The 4 disc deluxe 50th anniversary edition of This Was will be released on 9th November by Parlophone / RHINO. As always this is a one-off pressing (many of the previous deluxe Jethro Tull editions are now sold out).
    I love reading musical detail like this
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    If you can get 5.1 out of one guy playing guitar, I'm sure you can get a reasonable 4.1 mix out of a 4 channel source.

If a concert DVD was part of this, it would be a no-brainer for me.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    So I read the description awrong.
    Maybe you were doing something else whilst reading it?

I'll certainly buy this one since I've never owned a copy of the album before! I did finally listen to it recently though, and quite enjoyed it.

Uh Oh........now we're beginning the 50th Anniversary Reissues!

Will Mr. Fripp follow suit?
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    If a concert DVD was part of this, it would be a no-brainer for me.
    Wouldn't we all... A DVD of Tull with Abrahams. For me, even good audio of a live show from that era would make this an autobuy. Does anyone know if any good boots exist of the original lineup live?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I love it. I avoided it for years because of all the snobby, negative comments. I finally bought the CD about 5-6 years ago. Not sure what I was expecting but I loved it immediately. Great album. Top 10 Tull for me.
    always been a fave of mine, a top 5 , well before the Wood-Hose-Storm trilogy

But I'll most likely skip this (as I have all 5.1 Tull except Stand Up), partly because I can't see what all the extra discs will hold (I've got the bonus tracks on the Mini-Lp).
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I don't do the remix thing (I have Wilson's Aqualung, which is fine) for various reasons but a few things:

-This Was is a great album, anyone who hasn't heard it for whatever reason should, in any incarnation.

-I think this is the first time since that ancient 20 Years box that 'Aeroplane' and 'Sunshine Day' have been in the same place.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    -I think this is the first time since that ancient 20 Years box that 'Aeroplane' and 'Sunshine Day' have been in the same place.
    Has "Blues for the 18th"/"Letting You Go" ever appeared anywhere besides that Derek Lawrence Sessions set? I thought it had already been released as a bonus track somewhere, but I can't find where that would be.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I'm in.
    Also, we still haven't got that epic-symphonic version of "Song for Jeffrey" with the lengthy free-form French horn solo!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Has "Blues for the 18th"/"Letting You Go" ever appeared anywhere besides that Derek Lawrence Sessions set? I thought it had already been released as a bonus track somewhere, but I can't find where that would be.
    I've looked this up and it appears that this not only contains 'Blues For The 18th' but both sides of the Jethro Toe single. So I'm wrong!

https://www.discogs.com/Various-25-V...elease/7223594

Oddly, I'm sure much of this collection is Ritchie Blackmore-related!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I think this is the first time since that ancient 20 Years box that 'Aeroplane' and 'Sunshine Day' have been in the same place.
    That 20 Years box (itself now thirty years old) is an interesting thing - it's still the only place you can find the track Motoreyes as well. All this time has passed and it still isn't a redundant or obsolete set for the Tull collector.

^'Coronach', a single no less, is another track on very little else.

In terms of live material with Mick Abrahams, I don't think I've ever heard anything beyond the BBC sessions*. The earliest surviving footage I know of was that one-off with Tony Iommi for the 'Stones ill-fated Rock And Roll Circus project.

*Actually 'So Much Trouble' is interesting here. No studio recording of the track yet Anderson was fond enough of it to still do it in the 90s and beyond!