Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alec K. Redfearn and The Eyesores "The Opposite" - available now

Alec K. Redfearn and The Eyesores "The Opposite" - available now

The very, very wonderful AKR and The Eyesores have a very, very wonderful new album, The Opposite.

I think it's everything you could want an AKR and The Eyesores album to be.

The official release date is October 5, but you can buy it from us or you can buy it from The Eyesores at one of their upcoming performances right now!

It's available on CD, vinyl and as a download (note: BandCamp preorders should be up and ready this week.

You can hear a track from the record right here.
    Last edited by Steve F.; 08-27-2018 at 06:43 PM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Huzzah, planning on picking up a CD at ProgDay
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Yes! Can't wait to get this this weekend.

well, wasn't that fun

looking forward to seeing them this weekend

Excellent news. Do the LPs come with a download code?

Quote Originally Posted by mike_hunt View Post
    Excellent news. Do the LPs come with a download code?
    Yes.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I'm pretty sure I heard them play Bat Living In My Room when supporting Faust, I'm assuming there were other new songs in that set.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Cool ass tune - I dig it. I love the way they mixed the percussion ostinato so hot, really gives the piece some really nice traction and is a nice touch. Imagine some evil-ass circus using this music as the clowns start running out, and Tom Waits is at the door collecting tickets, dressed as a 13th century French farmer from Provence of course. Or not.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Glad you dig the sounds amigo
    Shit - I knew it sounded really GOOD. Now I know why. Congrats brother.

Sounds really cool!
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Imagine some evil-ass circus using this music as the clowns start running out, and Tom Waits is at the door collecting tickets, dressed as a 13th century French farmer from Provence of course. Or not.
    Not.

They’re tired of the circus music comparisons and really don’t think they apply, especially on this one, and I have to agree.

We think they sound like The Eyesores.

Glad you enjoyed it!
    Last edited by Steve F.; 08-29-2018 at 06:17 PM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I always though Acid Folk & Avant Folk described them most accurately, but as Steve says the sound like The Eyesores, instantly recognizable.
    Ian

Not.

They’re tired of the circus music comparisons and really don’t think they apply, especially on this one, and I have to agree.

We think they sound like The Eyesores.

Glad you enjoyed it!
    I guess my silly attempt at a surrealist bizarro humor didn't quite come off, but honestly I'm not really saying that this sounds like "circus" music, yet rather could be used for (as in previous surrealist scenario), just like something by Univers Zero or even perhaps something like SGM. Why not, right? In terms of this band not particularly appreciating their music being compared to circus music (I had no idea actually until you just told me), unfortunately for them music is a two-way street, a very personal yet shared experience by the performer and listener, both on equal footing. Musical interpretation is such a subjective thing, and I believe any human response can vary greatly from individual to individual - Jesus, just look at how many "arguments" there are on PE because we can't all see eye-to-eye on every piece of music or album. It's certainly a cool tune, sounds pretty original, but ultimately I believe the listener can decide what it sounds like for them, regardless of a song title or some fabricated subject matter or programmatic intent. I was thinking abut this yesterday at the beach listening to Ravel's "Une barque sur l'océan" (in English "A Boat on the Ocean"), thinking that I love the piece - the melodies, the harmonies - but in terms of the actual subject matter it just sounds like a beautiful music to me, not necessarily a boat floating on an ocean, yet that doesn't diminish my love or appreciation for it. Would Ravel be disappointed if he knew that I failed to make the connection to his original intent - I have no idea - but my personal interpretation is my interpretation. Sorry for rambling, and this is all of course expressed with sincerest respect, but those are some of my feelings on this topic.

Steve a vaguely remember a description of Amoebic sounding like a Salvation Army band

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Steve a vaguely remember a description of Amoebic sounding like a Salvation Army band
    Well, yes! That was MY description.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

On a slightly different topic, I just dusted off The Quiet Room and did a complete headphones spin, seriously its been years. Great album, I just enjoyed it more than I ever have by a pretty large margin. I really like the recording too, some very sharp detail and an overall nice mastering. I'm too lazy to dig it back out to see who did it. Also Alec is a such a fantastic player - his use of distortion is both original and adds great texture/color and his harmonic knowledge is very impressive, I sort of hear him as a great keyboardist in that respect. He can go way further than just dorian or mixolydian as I'm sure some accordion players who try to improvise are limited to.

they sound like The Eyesores.
    As long as they don't sound anything remotely like either 90125, Calling All Stations, Robert Berry or Asia then I'm all happy forever and eternally beyond.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

The new album is wonderful, right up there with Sister Death, they played a bunch of it at ProgDay (5 tracks I think), translates really well live. The production is excellent, got a really cool vibe. Up amongst the best of the year for sure.
    Ian

I downloaded this from Bandcamp several days ago and have only listened to it twice and I have to say I'm quite knocked out by this one.
    It's got an intensity that I didn't expect and that's a good thing!
    I really like the middle-eastern feel on the last two tunes.
    The only thing I'd previously ever heard from this group was the sample tune ("Bat Living In My Room") Steve initially posted.

Anyway, of the several releases listed on the Cuneiform page (http://www.cuneiformrecords.com/bandshtml/redfearn.html), which one should I should I get next?

If you like the small band-ness of the latest album, you might enjoy Exterminating Angel.
    Otherwise, faves include Smother Party, Sister Death, and The Quiet Room.

They are a splendid band!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

If you like the small band-ness of the latest album, you might enjoy Exterminating Angel.
    Otherwise, faves include Smother Party, Sister Death, and The Quiet Room.

They are a splendid band!
    Second all of this, I'd go with Sister Death next it's probably my favorite.
    Ian