Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bluegrass thread

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Bluegrass thread

I think I somehow always knew I liked Bluegrass, but I also think it's more varied than I knew. Check out this Bandcamp piece about Bluegrass on the Folkways label (our tax dollars at work!):

https://daily.bandcamp.com/2018/08/2...records-guide/

then listen to this kickass track! From the mid-60's:

Would love to listen to some recommendations, especially bluesy like this track.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 08-24-2018 at 08:46 AM.

My favorite Bluegrass song is "Stagnation" by Genesis.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    My favorite Bluegrass song is "Stagnation" by Genesis.
    It's funny you should mention that one. I'm a big fan of an Americana/bluegrass band called The Other Favorites. One of their songs, "Saturn Rising" immediately reminded me of "Stagnation."

I talked to them after a gig in Denver, and they said the only prog they listen to is Pink Floyd. So any similarity is a coincidence.

Also, I've read that some of Chris Thile's "progressive bluegrass" is influenced by prog rock. I need to listen to more of his post-Nickel Creek work to hear it for myself.

^^ It was a slam dunk. Chris Thile is very talented, as are many Bluegrass artists. If I pick my buddy's brain, I could give many in the Bluegrass field. The one who straddles the most is Bela Fleck, but I'm guessing you knew that.

I read somewhere that Al DiMeola played bluegrass before RTF...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Oops - mods, could you please move this to the off-topic board? Thanks!

I like it in a live setting, preferably sort of a dive where the walls are sweating and the folks are jamming. There's some individuals that push the envelope, like Chris Thile.

And then there's this:

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I own only one bluegrass album - Steve Earle and the Del McCoury Band's "The Mountain". Bought it based on hearing this tune on the radio:

Turned out that I love the whole album. The last tune, "Pilgrim" is an absolute tear-jerker, helped to grieve my dad's passing back in 2003.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

For my money, the best in modern bluegrass were the Kentucky Colonels with Clarence White. The rest of the band were no slouches, either.

Year ago I saw banjoist Doug Dillard and champion fiddle player Byron Berline together. Their hands were moving at 100 mph!
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Year ago I saw banjoist Doug Dillard and champion fiddle player Byron Berline together. Their hands were moving at 100 mph!
    Now there's some freakin' legends - players that even proggers and jazz heads would be impressed with.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopez
    I didn't see them together, but saw them separately. Sounds like you were at the right place at the right time.

Some shows I saw with bluegrass people:

Third Annual Banjo Fiddle and Guitar Festival 1975 featuring Byron Berline, Doc Watson, Emmylou Harris & The Hot Band with guest Linda Ronstadt, for $2.50.
    New Riders Of The Purple Sage and Flying Burrito Brothers, unknown '70s year, guests Doug Dillard & John Hartford for $5.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I didn't see them together, but saw them separately. Sounds like you were at the right place at the right time.

Some shows I saw with bluegrass people:

Third Annual Banjo Fiddle and Guitar Festival 1975 featuring Byron Berline, Doc Watson, Emmylou Harris & The Hot Band with guest Linda Ronstadt, for $2.50.
    New Riders Of The Purple Sage and Flying Burrito Brothers, unknown '70s year, guests Doug Dillard & John Hartford for $5.
    Yes, indeed. The right place (Jonathan Swift's in Cambridge, MA) and the right time (approx. 1979 or so). Just a couple weeks earlier to that show, at the same venue, I saw the Dillards, Doug's old band, with brother Rodney as the front man. Real Ozark Mountains bluegrass. They were slicker'n deer guts on a doorknob.
    Lou

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    They were slicker'n deer guts on a doorknob.
    I'm supposed to save a seat for who?

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    I'm supposed to save a seat for who?
    Lou

I'd recently discovered how amazing Chris Thile is on the mandolin and have been exploring both The Punch Brothers and his solo work. I'd always liked a little bluegrass (Glen Campbell/Bobbie Gentry) but have never delved too deeply into it, even though I have a banjo and can play a little. His album "Not all who wander are lost" is quite spectacular, but it's Punch Brothers who really intrigue me the most. Some incredible talent on display here.

"The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I like it in a live setting, preferably sort of a dive where the walls are sweating and the folks are jamming. There's some individuals that push the envelope, like Chris Thile.

And then there's this:

I'd have been more impressed if they did the whole thing.

I liked those guys on The Andy Griffith show. Soggy Bottom Blues always makes me cry.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    I liked those guys on The Andy Griffith show. Soggy Bottom Blues always makes me cry.
    Both the Dillards (as the Darlings) and the Kentucky Colonels had been on Andy's show.
    Lou

For modern bluegrass, I like Bearfoot. For 70s bluegrass, there is a band out of Wisconsin called Piper Road Spring Band that had a great album called Kettle Morain.

Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post
    For 70s bluegrass
    The Seldom Scene Live At The Cellar Door is my no.1 album. They're soulful high harmony vocals always get me.

We saw Del McCoury Band in Newton, NJ last night. Dude is fucking 85 and still absolutely killing it! Even dealing with any hecklers, albeit in a respectful southern gentleman manner. The band is nuts, especially Jason Carter on fiddle and Ronnie McCoury on mando. Del told a cool Phish story too.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    We saw Del McCoury Band in Newton, NJ last night. Dude is fucking 85 and still absolutely killing it! Even dealing with any hecklers, albeit in a respectful southern gentleman manner. The band is nuts, especially Jason Carter on fiddle and Ronnie McCoury on mando. Del told a cool Phish story too.
    Cool! Del has the classic bluegrass looks too with that big pompadour! I could go for a good bluegrass show right now!

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    Cool! Del has the classic bluegrass looks too with that big pompadour! I could go for a good bluegrass show right now!
    10/10 show. My wife who can sometimes have "enough" bluegrass after 3 or 4 songs was basically disappointing when it ended. It was that good and compelling. His stories with playing with Bill Monroe in the 60s were detailed like it happened yesterday. The guy is a national treasure and superhuman at the same time. This lifestyle on the road isn't easy for anybody at any age, and here he is. His guitar RH strumming is a thing of beauty, so fluent and he hits those G runs absolutely perfectly.