Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 90125/Asia

Different universes.

90125 is so much better.

ASIA was much better because It's the only CD I ever had who lighted up the deemphasis light on my player. I kept it for many years as a test disc to check this function when fixing CD players. This early feature (which is included in the Red Book) is no longer used today and I lost the CD (left in a customer's player). Don't miss it and never felt the need to replace it.
    Even with the preemphasis it sounded crappy to my ears (maybe it had the deemphasis activation bit code but no preemphasis applied at mastering, the reason why it sounded dull and lacking high frequencies)
    , and as far as the music is concerned, well...

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Different universes.

90125 is so much better.
    90125 is art; Asia is a very good rock album.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    To my mind this nails it.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    I listened to Astra again for the first time in at least 30 years. Wow, is it generic. Losing Howe was a big problem.
    Replacing with a guy from Krokus didn't help matters (and I actually like Krokus!).

I listened to Astra again for the first time in at least 30 years. Wow, is it generic. Losing Howe was a big problem.
    Agreed. I think the original line-up reunion albums are all better than Astra. The last one they did, XXX, has aged particularly well for me. Not exactly 'prog' (2008's Phoenix had some moderate leanings in that direction, with more instrumental work than usual) but nice songs.

90125 is brilliant, one of the very best Yes albums just after the amazing run between YA to CTTE . Sonically, it's really innovative , placing Tes's trademark musicianship inside the more interesting, glacial end of 80's production, as if Art Of Noise had dissected and then reassembled the whole idea of what Yes could be (while still being Yes). Something I still listen to and absolutely love the sound of. It was a complete one off for them and kind of stands alone. Before and after 90125 you kind of knew what to expect from a Yes album, even if you loved them, but not this time.

Asia was just ploddy meh

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Agreed. I think the original line-up reunion albums are all better than Astra. The last one they did, XXX, has aged particularly well for me. Not exactly 'prog' (2008's Phoenix had some moderate leanings in that direction, with more instrumental work than usual) but nice songs.
    I was surprised how good XXX was when it came out. I eventually bought it and liked it even better over time. I didn't buy Phoenix, Omega, or Gravitas since only three or four good songs among those three combined.

I suppose a lot of people thought that about the Asia album since, I believe, it sold more than 90125.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    I suppose a lot of people thought that about the Asia album since, I believe, it sold more than 90125.
    Wiki says 10 million v. 4 million for 90125. There were lots of 16 year olds who bought Asia for 'Heat of the Moment' to blare from their Trans Ams in summer to pick up chicks. More power to them, now 52, and maybe doing the same thing this summer.

Wiki says 10 million v. 4 million for 90125.
    When was the last time each were audited for recertification?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    When was the last time each were audited for recertification?
    Millions of copies were sold. The one thousand Asia records you bought to boost sales was just a tiny drop in the ocean.

The eons are closing
    Wiki says 10 million v. 4 million for 90125. There were lots of 16 year olds who bought Asia for 'Heat of the Moment' to blare from their Trans Ams in summer to pick up chicks. More power to them, now 52, and maybe doing the same thing this summer.

Nothing beats crusin' in my 2010 S6 blasting One Step Closer from my dash connected iPod classic while checking the PTA moms.

And yes, I had the album, two cassettes from wearout, and a CD (still have long box)
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

It has its moments; I actually like "Go" (they got Howe to play that one live later, so it couldn't have been that bad), "Hard On Me" is okay in my opinion, and "After the War" is fairly decent with a nice little bit of classical guitar at the end. But yow, "Love Now Till Eternity" may just be the lowest low point they had until "Gravitas": "All that is left, that you are woman and I am man." Brother...
    Last edited by ThomasKDye; 08-27-2018 at 11:16 PM.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    It has its moments; I actually like "Go" (they got Howe to play that one live later, so it couldn't have been that bad),
    "Go" is great! So is "Days Like These", written by someone outside the band. I just don't think Asia has been that memorable in the past decade with the exception of XXX.

Not to be a downer, but... This thread has made me remember just how great a loss it was when John Wetton passed away. I miss that guy.

90125. It turned me into a Yes fan, and then into a prog fan. "Owner of a Lonely Heart" has what is still one of my all-time favorite guitar solos.

I'd never heard of Yes or Asia when either album came out. I remember liking the first two songs from the Asia album well enough when I heard them on the radio, but they didn't blow me away. I can still take it or leave it.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Not to be a downer, but... This thread has made me remember just how great a loss it was when John Wetton passed away. I miss that guy.
    Yeah, with the acquisition of the various King Crimson boxsets, I've found myself listening to a lot of the Wetton era stuff, and one really starts to pick up just how great a bass player he was, even if he didn't do much in the way of "virtuoso" playing, he still managed to play a lot of stunning stuff, especially during the improvisational stuff. And of course, he was a great singer too.

One of my favorite Wetton things, though, is his performance on the Uriah Heep song One Way Or Another. I'm still not sure if that's an 8 string he's playing, or if they simply overdubbed a guitar doubling his bass line (same trick Squire used on the studio version of Roundabout), but that's an amazing bass line, and his vocal on that song is great, too. Easily the best song on either of the two Heep albums he played on.

Quote Originally Posted by SongForAmerica View Post
    The Asia album was an atrocity: horrible garbage made by musicians who knew better, all to make a buck..
    Never bothered with Asia. Loved the album cover and immediately knew it had prog/Yes DNA. Then I heard HOTM on radio and just waved it off. This was back in the early 80s long before I got into prog.

90125 I never thought of buying but I read nothing but glowing reviews here for years. I found a used copy several years ago and gave it a shot. I couldn't stand it. In contrast, I loved Drama.

Now I'm curious to know, being that you are a fan of Kansas. Kansas was my gateway. What are your thoughts on 80s Kansas? I'll admit that the only 80s Kansas album I like (love actually) is Vinyl Confessions. I've owned Audiovision, Power, and In The Spirit of Things in the past but got rid of them. AV had a couple cool songs but overall I didn't like it, and I don't miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Yeah, I've been playing a lot of Wetton stuff the last couple days, too.

I keep thinking that I should change my avatar, but I'm really not over it, yet. Not sure why his passing hit me so much more than Squire, Lake or Emerson, but it has.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Yeah, I've been playing a lot of Wetton stuff the last couple days, too.

I keep thinking that I should change my avatar, but I'm really not over it, yet. Not sure why his passing hit me so much more than Squire, Lake or Emerson, but it has.
    Keep it Scott, it's cool.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Emerson's hit me much harder because of the circumstances- as awful as can be. Squire and Wetton I was expecting, sadly...and even Lake I had wondered about because things had been quiet for years.

I think it was great that in Wetton's last 10-15 years, he'd really turned things around for himself and saw some renewed success again with the original Asia. As I said, certainly Phoenix and XXX are albums I still return to. (Omega, a little less.)

Emerson's hit me much harder because of the circumstances- as awful as can be.
    My emotions on Emerson's passing have intensified over the years, and that Robert Berry interview by Anil only made them stronger. So very, very sad.

I think it was great that in Wetton's last 10-15 years, he'd really turned things around for himself and saw some renewed success again with the original Asia. As I said, certainly Phoenix and XXX are albums I still return to. (Omega, a little less.)
    I think this is a large part of it. From things I've read, he could be quite difficult to work with, but it sure seems like he turned his life around and redeemed himself during his last few years. And he managed to create more music that I enjoy, so I always admired how difficult it must have been for him.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I think this is a large part of it. From things I've read, he could be quite difficult to work with, but it sure seems like he turned his life around and redeemed himself during his last few years. And he managed to create more music that I enjoy, so I always admired how difficult it must have been for him.
    Once he kicked the bottle, his interviews lightened up a LOT. I think the three Asia albums he made with Howe reflect that ("Gravitas," too, but man, it's just... not good). They were a nice way to realize the potential the band never realized in their heyday, and as such I really like all three of them.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I think the three Asia albums he made with Howe reflect that ("Gravitas," too, but man, it's just... not good).
    Totally agree. I really wanted to like Gravitas, but it doesn't work for me.