Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Us Festival - Woz Should Do It Again!

The Us Festival - Woz Should Do It Again!

I think at this point he'd rather sit at home and spin his massive vinyl collection.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

If they did it again, it would be a bunch of hip-hop artists and Coldplay.

No thanks.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

......and faux country pop schlock

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    If they did it again, it would be a bunch of hip-hop artists and Coldplay.

No thanks.
    Maybe even Nickleback & Taylor Swift too... or even Miley Ray Cyrus

Who cares about Taylor Swift and Coldplay. Give me that lineup from the '83 Metal day and I'm down, even if they are old farts at this point.

The Priest show from that day is legendary, IMO.

ETA: Oops, it was Nickleback that was mentioned but whatever, that kinda same thing.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

A festival lineup of 80s acts, if done right, might draw a decent crowd. Depends on the headliner. If one were able to convince EVH to dust off the cobwebs and pull DLR out of his sarcophagus you'd draw quite a few for the metal/hard rock night.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Give me that lineup from the '83 Metal day and I'm down, even if they are old farts at this point.
    How many of those bands are even still functioning? Motley Crue retired a few years ago. Triumph I think has done a few reunion gigs in the last 10 years, but I think Mike Levine and Gil Moore are tied down by their day jobs. Quiet Riot...well, they may as well change their name to Spinal Tap.

I don't remember who the other bands were.

As far modern day bands go, I think Coachella, or however it's spelled, has that whole thing sowed up pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Give me that lineup from the '83 Metal day and I'm down, even if they are old farts at this point.

The Priest show from that day is legendary, IMO.
    TRIUMPH! Also Crüe, Scorpions, and (of course) Van Halen.

The 5/30/83 Rock Day line-up was legendary, too: Los Lobos, Quarterflash, Missing Persons, Joe Walsh, Stevie Nicks, David Bowie. (U2 and The Pretenders also played, but that would be "take a piss, grab a beer" time.)

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    How many of those bands are even still functioning? Motley Crue retired a few years ago. Triumph I think has done a few reunion gigs in the last 10 years, but I think Mike Levine and Gil Moore are tied down by their day jobs. Quiet Riot...well, they may as well change their name to Spinal Tap.
    They wouldn't be able to replicate the line-up, anyway. Triumph's done as a performing band. Crüe made a pact, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a "we can play again only if all four of us agree" clause buried in there. Look at how Dokken (the line-up with Lynch, Pilson and Brown) got it together to go play in Japan recently when they got the proverbial offer they couldn't refuse. Money talks.

As far modern day bands go, I think Coachella, or however it's spelled, has that whole thing sowed up pretty good.
    It's about money. This year's Coachella bit the big burro.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    TRIUMPH! Also Crüe, Scorpions, and (of course) Van Halen.

The 5/30/83 Rock Day line-up was legendary, too: Los Lobos, Quarterflash, Missing Persons, Joe Walsh, Stevie Nicks, David Bowie. (U2 and The Pretenders also played, but that would be "take a piss, grab a beer" time.)
    Didn't Triumph play on a different day than the metal day? Anywho, no matter.

Not that anyone cares but here's the Priest show. I just watched it again and enjoyed it immensely.

Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

(U2 and The Pretenders also played, but that would be "take a piss, grab a beer" time.)
    For you maybe.

Of all those groups listed, U2, The Pretenders, and Bowie are the only ones I'd have wanted to see.

U2 and The Pretenders would be groups I would have made sure I was back for after taking a piss and stocking up on brewskis. But this is the day I would have most wanted to see:

"The authorized story of the 1982 Us Festival features remastered live performances from The Police, Tom Petty, Fleetwood Mac, Santana, The Cars, The B-52s and more."

Did those groups all play on the same day?

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    "The authorized story of the 1982 Us Festival features remastered live performances from The Police, Tom Petty, Fleetwood Mac, Santana, The Cars, The B-52s and more."

Same here. If they all played on the same day, that would have been insane (in a good way).

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    U2 and The Pretenders would be groups I would have made sure I was back for after taking a piss and stocking up on brewskis. But this is the day I would have most wanted to see:

There were two festivals, one on Labor Day Weekend 82, and another on Memorial Day weekend 83 (plus a fourth day a week later).

Day One
    Gang of Four
    Blairing Out
    The Ramones
    The English Beat
    Oingo Boingo
    The B-52's
    Talking Heads
    The Police

Day Two

Joe Sharino
    Dave Edmunds
    Eddie Money
    Santana
    The Cars
    The Kinks
    Pat Benatar
    Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers

Day Three

Breakfast with the Grateful Dead
    Jerry Jeff Walker
    Jimmy Buffett and The Coral Reefer Band
    Jackson Browne
    Fleetwood Mac

New Wave Day
    Divinyls
    Berlin
    INXS
    Wall of Voodoo (last performance with Stan Ridgeway)
    Oingo Boingo
    The English Beat
    A Flock of Seagulls
    Stray Cats
    Men at Work
    The Clash (last performance with Mick Jones, so essentially the last "real" Clash performance)

Metal Day
    Quiet Riot
    Mötley Crüe
    Ozzy Osbourne
    Judas Priest
    Triumph
    Scorpions
    Van Halen

Rock Day
    Los Lobos (on a side stage only)
    Little Steven & The Disciples of Soul
    Quarterflash
    Missing Persons
    U2
    The Pretenders
    Joe Walsh
    Stevie Nicks
    David Bowie

Country Day
    Thrasher Brothers
    Ricky Skaggs
    Hank Williams, Jr.
    Emmylou Harris & The Hot Band
    Alabama
    Waylon Jennings
    Riders in the Sky
    Willie Nelson

So, no, not all of those bands were on the same day.

I seem to recall one of the premium channels of the day, either HBO or Showtime, airing edited highlights after the fact. 25 years later, VH-1 Classic aired some of that footage, I think.

I know VH-1 Classic showed Berlin performing Sex (I'm A...), but it was cut to ribbons (probably because back in 1983, someone thought Terri Nunn and John Crawford's routine during that song was "too suggestive"). They showed Quaterflash doing Find Another Fool, with footage cut together from at least two songs (you can tell, because there was shots of one of the guitarists where he's wearing a jacket, then in other shots, he's just got a shirt on). They showed The English Beat (who, I imagine, were just on the verge of breakign up), so they used stuff from both fests. Also shown was Scorpions, Men At Work, Missing Persons, Judas Priest, and I forget whoe else at the moment (maybe The Clash?).

I know Triumph released their set (minus the first song) on VHS back in the mid 80's, and it's out on DVD now. I believe the Judas Priest has also been issued (VH-1 Classic showed an edited version of their set a couple years after the earlier retrospective broadcast). Somewhere, I believe I have a bootleg VHS of Van Halen's set, where Roth brags about there being more arrests on Heavy Metal Day than there had been for the entire previous year's festival. He also pulls out a bottle of...I can't remember if it was Jack Daniels or whatever, but he makes a crack about how The Clash (I think he said The Clash) drank whiskey bottles filled with iced tea.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 08-20-2018 at 10:21 PM.

So, no, not all of those bands were on the same day, or even the same festival.
    The groups I named in the quoted part of my post about the 82 US fest all played in the same festival obviously, but yeah, people are talking about both years lineups. Thanks for the lineup info though.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Of all those groups listed, U2, The Pretenders, and Bowie are the only ones I'd have wanted to see.
    You'd skip Joe Walsh? Clearly you must be less than sane.

I dunno, I've never been a fan of Joe Walsh for some reason. But I don't hate him either.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I'd love to see those Oingo Boingo sets.
    Chad

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I dunno, I've never been a fan of Joe Walsh for some reason. But I don't hate him either.
    Loved his cameos on The Drew Carey Show.
    Chad

Walsh put on one of the worst concerts I ever attended back in the 90's when he was heavy into his substance abuse years. He appeared to be wasted and it was a very short, and not very good show. I swore I would never go see him again. That being said, I have seen him with The Eagles twice since then and he was great, so today I would probably go see him again if he came around the area. I recently read Joe's ex girlfriend's book. She was there at the US festival Walsh played. There was lots of Cocaine and other substances floating around back stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Loved his cameos on The Drew Carey Show.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Walsh put on one of the worst concerts I ever attended back in the 90's when he was heavy into his substance abuse years. He appeared to be wasted and it was a very short, and not very good show. I swore I would never go see him again. That being said, I have seen him with The Eagles twice since then and he was great, so today I would probably go see him again if he came around the area. I recently read Joe's ex girlfriend's book. She was there at the US festival Walsh played. There was lots of Cocaine and other substances floating around back stage.
    Not surprised. Every Eagle was bad into it for a while. IIRC, it was Geezer (Butler) who said while Sabbath was in North Miami recording Technical Ecstasy at Criteria, and splitting the shift with the Eagles (who were recording Hotel California), they had to "scrape the cocaine off the mixing console" every day before they started working.

Didn't Squire say that The Eagles introduced Yes to hard drugs?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Didn't Squire say that The Eagles introduced Yes to hard drugs?
    New one to me. But please, elaborate. Haven't heard this one.