Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New (Trolls) kid in town

New (Trolls) kid in town

At their best they are, IMO, a wonderful fusion of styles, (Symph, Orch, Pop, Beat, Disco, Rock), with fantastic keys and great multi part harmonies

Concerto Grosso 1 and 2, UT, and Atomic System, are mint, top shelf prog italiano IMO

I also quite enjoy the pop / beat / disco stuff pretty much as well, things like Albederan and the Tour discs - great songs, with great vocals - love Belloni and the falsetto

For anyone trying to perhaps ease their girl into prog these guys are a really good call - my bride flat out loves them

But I digress

Copped three of their most recent releases this week and waited for Sat AM coffee and smokes to peruse them

Just played:

61GO8eeuxQL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

A double disc live release - disc one on is more of the hits, disc two is symph, both great

The line up trail is pretty squirrelly over the past years and apparently there have been all kinds of splinter bands using the name, (New Trolls, UT New Trolls, Mitto New Trolls) - all pretty much in the same spirit

I have the new studio "Do UT Des" and another live one "Live in Milano" to get to later on....

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Still looking for a physical copy of that one.

I like Searching for a Land, UT, New Trolls Atomic System, Tempi Dispari (Which is a bizarre attempt at Jazz fusion that sounds like a missing Soft Machine album!) and of course, the three Concerto Grossos. I have some of their 'pop' albums, but must admit I don't listen to them much, even if I do like some of the songs (Aldebaran is lovely).

I try to 'follow' what is going on at their Italian website, but it's quite hard as they seem to have incorporated all variants into one. I did get the impression the 'New Trolls' (With Di Palo and Di Scalza) were bringing out a new album, but it was delayed. Then UT New Trolls, which seems to be a few original members, brought out live album and a studio album. There's also a new live album by Mito New Trolls (Mythical New Trolls?) but I think this band consists of mainly members from the 'pop' era in the seventies. There was also one called 'Ill Cuore New Trolls' which featured Gianno Belleno (I think) who was an original member. Di Palo appears to have had a terrible car accident in the past and can no longer play guitar, and was originally in Mito New Trolls.

It did seem that sometime last year a lot of the original members got together, but it ended with another split (Hence UT New Trolls). Di Scalza and Di Palo seem to use the name 'La Storia dei New Trolls'... It's all confusing as I don't speak Italian.

I have an album by a band called Ibis, which is effectively the New Trolls minus De Scalza. I think they did one called ? because they could not use the New Trolls name, whilst De Scalza did the confusingly named New Trolls Atomic System...

I did see references to 'Concerto Gross 3' in the website last year, and it seemed to be the name of a new album (Although there was a Concerto Grosso seven seasons albums a few years back...)

The UT New Trolls album sounds interesting in that it appears to resemble the 'prog' stuff more. I have a Mito New Trolls CD called 'TR3' that has six new tracks on it, but they're pure pop.

Confusing band to follow, and frustrating that the new releases are very expensive on CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    I have an album by a band called Ibis, which is effectively the New Trolls minus De Scalza. I think they did one called ? because they could not use the New Trolls name, whilst De Scalza did the confusingly named New Trolls Atomic System...
    The ? album is aka Nico, Gianni, Frank, Maurizio, no?

Confusing band to follow, and frustrating that the new releases are very expensive on CD.
    Thanks for the summation of the website, I couldn't bother with the translation but was definitely curious

I opted for the MP-3's on the new ones - I would only rip them and file the CD's away for ever anyway, so an easy and reasonable $ option

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

There was also one called 'Ill Cuore New Trolls' which featured Gianno Belleno (I think) who was an original member
    Thought I had them all but don't have this one - doesn't appear to be too readily available

The UT New Trolls album sounds interesting in that it appears to resemble the 'prog' stuff more.
    799038d462eff6a07ff99dd2306ef66d.jpg

Based on my initial spin, not so much

It's good, and there are some proggy bits but I think it leans more to the pop side overall

Good songs, good tunes

BG

This is i'll cuore New Trolls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA5c8taIBNU

I don't think they ever released anything... I think I'll give UT New Trolls a miss, then. I didn't like the Mito New Trolls album TR3 much, either.

How many live versions of Concerto Grosso do we need? :-)

While we're on the subject of Italian music: today I received a CD of Stelvio Cipriani's soundtrack to 'Nightmare City'/'City of the Walking Dead'... Great stuff. A mix of rock/pop/jazz fusion and... other stuff. No horsemeat.

This is an informative site:

http://www.italianprog.com/a_newtrolls.htm

Brilliant band and sadly overlooked in more traditional prog circles.

Pretty much everything by NT and NT-related groups from about '71 to '74 is top shelf, although I have come to think that Tempi Dispari is a left turn that is vastly inferior to the rest of the prime period stuff.

This is i'll cuore New Trolls:

I don't think they ever released anything...
    Thank goodness - the last thing I need is another obligatory NT purchase and I will sleep better, secure in the knowledge that I do indeed have them all

While we're on the subject of Italian music: today I received a CD of Stelvio Cipriani's soundtrack to 'Nightmare City'/'City of the Walking Dead'... Great stuff. A mix of rock/pop/jazz fusion and... other stuff. No horsemeat.
    I have an older release of this, are there any extras on this?

A very cool album, going to spin it later hopefully

BG

The release of Nightmare City has about 28 tracks. Only 10 of these are from the original soundtrack album from 1980. I think there was a CD issued a few years ago with all the same extra tracks on it.

My favourite soundtrack album is Bruno Nicolai's 'Virgin among the living dead'.

I can't find the Il Mito New Trolls live release on Amazon.co.uk anymore. It appears to have gone!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post

Pretty much everything by NT and NT-related groups from about '71 to '74 is top shelf, although I have come to think that Tempi Dispari is a left turn that is vastly inferior to the rest of the prime period stuff.
    I like Tempi Dispari a lot. It might be my favourite. Agree on the 71-74 comment, though. After that it's not great. I have an album called FS that I don't think I've ever listened to all the way through.

The release of Nightmare City has about 28 tracks. Only 10 of these are from the original soundtrack album from 1980. I think there was a CD issued a few years ago with all the same extra tracks on it.
    Mine has 36, and is 49:04 total

I can't find the Il Mito New Trolls live release on Amazon.co.uk anymore. It appears to have gone!
    It still appears on the US site, (MP3), for $11.98

2 CD set

BG

I'd like to get the Trilogy Live with the DVD
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Am I the only one who prefers Ibis’ Sun Supreme and the first Atomic System album to any of the “proper” NT releases? The first side of UT is classic Italian prog, but I absolutely can’t stand the B-side!

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"You can take the war out of the soldier, but you can't raise that soldier from the dead."
    --Shona Laing

N.P.:“Sword and Sandal”-Krakatoa/Togetherness

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Am I the only one who prefers Ibis’ Sun Supreme and the first Atomic System album to any of the “proper” NT releases?
    Most seem to regard Atomic as just another NT album, but it is a very valid point that Ibis, Sun Supreme, and Nico etc should all be considered as main sequence as well

Sun Supreme is the best of those 3, but I like the CG's, Atomic, and UT better

BG

This is interesting:

http://www.newtrollsfanclub.it/pagineGB/biografiagb.asp

It seems that in 2009 the original lineup reformed and started recording CG 3, but it was never finished as the band (Now called The Legend New Trolls) split into what has become UT New Trolls [Led by Belleno] and the Di Palo De Scalzi version (Which looks to have changed its name every year!).

This is interesting:

Summer 2011: The Myth and NT Usai and Belloni grinds concerts Legend NT Belleno, D'Adamo, De Scalzi and Di Palo start recording the new CG3 (never finished) and incredibly, against the most basic rules of the market, by a preview concert with the orchestra conducted by Maestro Luis Bacalov broadcast live on the Web. The CG3 has not seen the light.
    Has anyone seen this 'preview' concert?

EDIT: I think there are some clips on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlAlaLhacR0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMgyXExQhaI
    Last edited by Harbottle; 02-17-2013 at 03:46 AM.

Is "CG The 7 Seasons" not CG3????

Speaking of which, I need to revisit that one this AM, don't remember loving it

More interesting stuff above, thanks

BG

No, it looks as if there was a new Concerto Grosso 3.

Seven Seasons wasn't called CG 3, at least my copy isn't... And the new CG 3 was by the original lineup of the band... Or an early lineup. Sounds like it's not coming out now.

I wonder if the NT have the problem of having too many songwriters all with their own idea of what they want to do, hence the constant fragmentation of the band.

I had a look at the forum on the New Trolls fan club website, and through google translate they seemed to be squabbling over the different variations of the band!

We need a native Italian speaker to try to decipher all this stuff!

PS: I bough the new UT New Trolls album in the end, and *really* enjoyed it. It's actually pretty proggy in places.

CG the 7 Seasons was allways treated by the band(s) as the third part of CG.

But it is clever named, so there will be a commercial chance to still have a part 3 (which sounds much better than part 4 (trilogy and so on))

No, it looks as if there was a new Concerto Grosso 3.

Seven Seasons wasn't called CG 3, at least my copy isn't... And the new CG 3 was by the original lineup of the band... Or an early lineup. Sounds like it's not coming out now.
    Interesting to say the least - my CD is labelled Concerto Grosso, The Seven Seasons

To further confuse I have the CG "Trilogy" DVD which has 7 Seasons on it, thus I assumed it was CG3

And people complain about Yes's lineup changes and squabbles

PS: I bough the new UT New Trolls album in the end, and *really* enjoyed it. It's actually pretty proggy in places.
    Good good!

BG

Sara' Per Noi on Do UT Des sounds a bit like Concert Grosso in style.

Sara' Per Noi on Do UT Des sounds a bit like Concert Grosso in style.
    A bit?

More like a total nod!

BG

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Do you think maybe people saw this, and that's why NEARfest 2011 was cancelled? (Just kidding though, I love New Trolls!)

If you only watch moment, go to 2:15. LOL!

↑Ah, yes...from their “we want to be the Italian Bee Gees” era.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

‘“What blow, Goblin?” said Corinius.’ --E. R. Eddison

N.P.:nothing

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post

Yeah, I was pretty baffled that NT wasn't enough of a draw for what was supposed to be the penultimate Nearfest. PFM, Banco and Le Orme might be The Big Three, but New Trolls and the various spinoffs at their best were just as good as any of the classic Italian bands, IMO.