Thread: Living Theatre

Living Theatre

68 fifthiest birthday obligé there are lots of articles and features about the good ol' days. This morning I read an article about the venue of the Living Theatre at the Avignon theatre festival in sumer of 68. Back then Jean Vilar was the "progressive " director of the festival in a quite conservative environment. The second day of their arrival one of the members of the LT was arrested and spend two days in prison for having walked in his swimming suit in the town center.
    I had discovered the Living Theatre in Italy in the beginning of the 80s . They performed the whole summer during the festivals of the Italian Communist Party. The first time I saw them was in Bologna where they performed Antigone , one of the most amazing and strongest cultural ( in a wider sense) experiences I've ever made.
    Does anyone have memories of Living Theatre performances to share ?

Just in case you're not aware, there is a parody of Living Theatre in Avignon in 68 in Asterix Et Le Chaudron comic book (published in 69).

Relatively funny, but I'm not sure René Goscinny really understood the concept (he was more from the old school) and was about to get (almost) upturned in the Pilote magazine around that time (student upheaval and Paris barricades).

Personally, the Living Theatre is one side of counter-culture I can't seem to get interested in...

Maybe this will change with this thread.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I will send you a scan of the article Hugues.

Thx

You still got my e-mail address??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.