Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Robert Berry/3.2 interview discussing Emerson, GTR Mk II, Ambrosia, Hush & more

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    ^^^ Yeah, I was surprised by that revelation in the interview. I agree that Billy has found a good home in Yes as the bass/bvox guy. But a lead singer he ain't. With Berry the band could have actually had a future.
    Yeah, Berry's songwriting style is much more aligned to Downes' and Wetton's than Billy's. I guess they thought Billy would give the fans a more familiar face, plus Geoff was already familiar with him on stage.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Asia with Berry would be very interesting to me. I like his voice and enjoyed his writing on the first 3 album.

I ?m listening to the 3 Live in Boston Disc and as already mentioned , it's nice and loose in places.

And Palmer on the Remo Acousticon kit I much prefer to the Black Moon sounds.

I also enjoyed the Terence Trent D'Arby anecdote...I gather he did have a reputation for being a 'serious artiste', shall we say.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    ^^^ Yeah, I was surprised by that revelation in the interview. I agree that Billy has found a good home in Yes as the bass/bvox guy. But a lead singer he ain't. With Berry the band could have actually had a future.
    Remember, at the time Sherwood was chosen, Wetton was still with us. They weren't looking for a future, they were looking to get thru a tour with hopes that Wetton would be well enough to perform again. His passing before the tour launched was not part of the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Remember, at the time Sherwood was chosen, Wetton was still with us. They weren't looking for a future, they were looking to get thru a tour with hopes that Wetton would be well enough to perform again. His passing before the tour launched was not part of the plan.
    That's true... but, y'know, if Downes and Palmer want to continue, working with Berry might not be a half-bad idea... *sends telepathic hints*
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    That's true... but, y'know, if Downes and Palmer want to continue, working with Berry might not be a half-bad idea... *sends telepathic hints*
    I'm in on this. If you're reading this, Geoff, make it happen.

While you're at it, can you get John Mitchell on guitar?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    While you're at it, can you get John Mitchell on guitar?
    Okay, now I would become a heroin dealer for this album.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Right?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Robert berry in asia would be great make it so Geoff!

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I'm with you on that.

I agree, Berry would probably make a great fit in Asia. Heck, since Berry can play just about anything having him and Sherwood together would probably be workable and open up a lot of creative possibilities.

I wouldn't keep Sherwood, in that scenario.

Nothing against Billy - I just prefer the Berry/Mitchell combo.

Damn, that was amazing. What a career. I don't know a lot about Berry and kind of wrote him off as too AOR for my tastes. But I'm seeing some great comments around here about this 3.2 album. I'll have to check it out.