Thread: Martin Barre Tour 2018 ?? Yay or nay?

Martin Barre Tour 2018 ?? Yay or nay?

Heading to NYC in Sept to meet up with a good buddy to go see the Yankees vs Red Sox (Sept 20th). The only live music that we would both be into seeing that weekend is the Martin Barre Band . The only caveat is that it is an hour and 10 min train ride out in Bay Shore , Long island (at the Bolton Center, a great small theater with no bad seat in the house..Went there many times back in the day as a local) Has anyone seen him on this tour? Yay or Nay ?? A LOT closer to our hotel is Rough Trade in Brooklyn where these guys are playing Saturday night..

https://youtu.be/7tn3exVFFFQ

Saw him last fall and totally enjoyed it. His band was great, the set list was great, everything about it was great.

Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post
    Heading to NYC in Sept to meet up with a good buddy to go see the Yankees vs Red Sox (Sept 20th). The only live music that we would both be into seeing that weekend is the Martin Barre Band . The only caveat is that it is an hour and 10 min train ride out in Bay Shore , Long island (at the Bolton Center, a great small theater with no bad seat in the house..Went there many times back in the day as a local) Has anyone seen him on this tour? Yay or Nay ?? A LOT closer to our hotel is Rough Trade in Brooklyn where these guys are playing Saturday night..

Big yay.

Yay

Totally worth your time. I've seen Martin's solo show 3x in the last 3 years. 2 hours of hot sweaty no-bullshit rock and blues. Awesome every time.

Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post

who are the buttertones? why is there a youtube link to their album?

if you choose one surrogate Tull choose Martin very energetic strong show.

Quote Originally Posted by kenschwartz View Post
    who are the buttertones? why is there a youtube link to their album?
    One of the other live music choices in NYC for the weekend I will be there..In a most likely "hipster" club in Brooklyn , 1 stop out of Manhattan for about $12...seems like most of the live music that isn't jazz or at a major venue in Manhattan is in Brooklyn, in the Williamsburg & Greenpoint neighborhoods.. Not that that's a bad thing..

I saw Martin Barre in September 2016 and was impressed. Quite a bit better than I expected, I should have expected more!

If you’re like looking for something a bit closer John Mayall is at the Iridium in Manhattan the same night. He was still bringing it when I saw him several years ago and he may not be touring much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    If you’re like looking for something a bit closer John Mayall is at the Iridium in Manhattan the same night. He was still bringing it when I saw him several years ago and he may not be touring much longer.
    John Mayall's website notes that his August/September gigs are cancelled as he continues to recover from a bout with pneumonia. He's turning 85 this year; it may finally be time to come off the road for good. He's been an incredible trouper, touring all over the world at his age. Hats off to him!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

There are a number of videos of MB's band live available on Youtube, if you're wondering what to expect. Personally, I think they're all excellent, and wouldn't hesitate to go if the opportunity presented itself.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    There are a number of videos of MB's band live available on Youtube, if you're wondering what to expect. Personally, I think they're all excellent, and wouldn't hesitate to go if the opportunity presented itself.
    Watched a bunch..I have seen Jethro Tull live twice, once mid 80's and again mid 90's..His guitar work definitely a highlight....My buddy just said there's a show right next door in Queens at the Forest Hills Tennis Stadium, Portugal The Man..

Also, as of now, would really like to make it to Sarasota in May, so if I don't catch him that weekend in NY , I will get 2 other former Tull band members with him...Decisions, decisions..

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned
    This sounds great:

https://youtu.be/hbFq3WH-PJU

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Very nice perfomance but why did MB hired a singer trying to emulate Ian's CURRENT (ruined and weak) voice ? This band really desserves a better singer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Very nice perfomance but why did MB hired a singer trying to emulate Ian's CURRENT (ruined and weak) voice ? This band really desserves a better singer.
    That particular recording is crap. The one from Darrel’s House is much better, and the vocals are good IMO.