Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Musical Box - A Genesis Extravaganza

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

The Musical Box - A Genesis Extravaganza

Sounds great, but no US dates yet. Possibly in the current climate it’s not possible, now that Canada is our “rival.”

http://themusicalbox.net/extravaganza.php?lang=en

^^^
    that sounds fantastic, hope I get a chance to catch a show.

My first show was so wonderful I would leap at the chance to see ANY show they do. But this "grab bag" show sounds very, very good.
    I sure hope they come to Phoenix!!!

Interesting. I guess they must figure that sticking to recreating specific tours has run it's course. Although, since they are doing it like this, why not do an actual Seconds Out tour show?
    Last edited by DocProgger; 08-15-2018 at 09:21 AM.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I first saw TMB around 1993/4 when they had two keyboard players. I was just walking along Catherine Street in Montreal and saw a Genesis tribute band. It was a great experience and I've seen them many times since, including a few months back in Ottawa. They are truly captivating

I would go see the new tour in a flash.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I first saw TMB around 1993/4 when they had two keyboard players. I was just walking along Catherine Street in Montreal and saw a Genesis tribute band. It was a great experience and I've seen them many times since, including a few months back in Ottawa. They are truly captivating

I would go see the new tour in a flash.
    I saw them in '96...2 keyboard players and 2 guitarists, in Toronto. After that, they went to 1 of each. Went to Raleigh NC, to see them do the black and white shows. I spoke with Dave Myers the keyboard player about having only one of each, he said "you won't know the difference", and he was right. Seen them dozens of times since, however, I'm sorry to say that I've had my fill of TMB and wont be going to anymore shows. It could be a Steve Hackett thing...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

I've only seen them once, but personally know two individuals of which one of them has seen TMB 30+ times and the other 45+. They were a bucket list band for me. But I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that this show could/should be one of their finest set lists ever.
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Possibly in the current climate it’s not possible, now that Canada is our “rival.”

I hope these boards don't turn political. The great creative music should come from the left, but I heard Fox News playing "Firth of Fifth" going into a commercial break.

Proggers must stay united.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    I hope these boards don't turn political. The great creative music should come from the left, but I heard Fox News playing "Firth of Fifth" going into a commercial break.

^^ I guess you have a point.

RE: this show, I’d be glad to see them do some TotT and W&W era stuff, as I missed the TotT tour shows they did. But they’d better have the singer with the big Phil beard!

Why do you assume that everyone is on the left and all good music comes from the left?

Saw them twice in the 00s. Might go to one of the gigs in Essen.

Last time I saw them the entire row before me left totally disgusted after two songs or so.
    The way they where dressed they seem to have expected a Musical of some sort, spend
    the rest of the concert with perfect view...
    Last edited by TheH; 08-14-2018 at 07:18 AM.

Sounds great, but no US dates yet. Possibly in the current climate it’s not possible, now that Canada is our “rival.”

They will tour the US in the spring

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    They will tour the US in the spring
    Certainly am hoping for an Atlanta date. This 3-section idea sounds like a good one....looking forward to hearing some W&W too.
    G.A.S -aholic

...United for what is "right"!
    G.A.S -aholic

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I just noticed TMB are playing in Gatineau, Quebec (20 minutes from my house) in mid-January, The seats were limited as people seemed to know about the sale a while back. I've got seats off the side closer to the stage.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 08-14-2018 at 01:51 PM.

Cool. I was hoping for an entire LAMB show, as they mentioned that last time coming through Chicago.... but this show looks awesome as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Last time I saw them the entire row before me left totally disgusted after two songs or so.
    The way they where dressed they seem to have expected a Musical of some sort, spend
    the rest of the concert with perfect view...
    Ha! Reminds me of the last MB show I went too, the people next to us didn't know WTF this show was, they were expecting Collin's era Genesis music. The wife said "This is total Bullshit!"

If they come south I'll do my best to make a show. Heard too many good things on this board not to.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post

Ha! Reminds me of the last MB show I went too, the people next to us didn't know WTF this show was, they were expecting Collin's era Genesis music. The wife said "This is total Bullshit!"
    It's always mindboggling to me that people buy tickets to a concert and not do any reading up or investigating as to what they are purchasing tix to. I mean how hard is it to hit the info page on a ticket link and read some background info or look up the band on their website, especially since they specify the type of tour they are doing. Just bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    It's always mindboggling to me that people buy tickets to a concert and not do any reading up or investigating as to what they are purchasing tix to. I mean how hard is it to hit the info page on a ticket link and read some background info or look up the band on their website, especially since they specify the type of tour they are doing. Just bizarre.
    I would rather they leave than just hold a mini reunion right behind me for the whole show.

The Musical Box shows I have seen ( I think one of each ) have been very well done.
    My personal preference is for original material, by the original artists. These folks do a might good job re enacting something that won't happen ( in it's original form ) again.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

this is exciting. I have passed on the last few times they have come to town because it was the same shows they had been doing and while great are harder to justify the price and hassle of getting to SF midweek. will definitely come out for this one though as I have never seen them do anything post Lamb. and guess maybe they will throw in a trespass song I haven't seen them do as well.

You can count on USA dates in 2019 for sure. I've seen them 15 or more times on the east and west coast of the States and Canada as well, every different tour they've done. I was not quite burned out on seeing them but if the next go around was Selling England again I may have skipped them. This should be awesome. The staging will be interesting as they will be inventing it I'd guess... the 5 tours were quite different so they must be.

One point, Denis does not do a great Phil vocally... To bad Martin was not still in the band. Martin nailed Phil behind both the kit and microphone!

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post

One point, Denis does not do a great Phil vocally... To bad Martin was not still in the band. Martin nailed Phil behind both the kit and microphone!
    Agreed, Levac as Phil was spot on. I saw them do that TOTT tour a few years back and Gagne just isn't quite as convincing as Phil, bad fake beard, not same voice timber etc. Musically it was still good though.

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post

One point, Denis does not do a great Phil vocally...
    I remember people kvetching about this point back when they did the A Trick Of The Tail shows, with Gregg Bendian on drums. To be honest, I was apparently enjoying the show too much to notice that Denis didn't do a good job on the vocals. Seeing the visuals (particularly the lava during Dance On A Volcano, and the laser during As Sure As Eggs Is Eggs), finally getting to hear some of the Trick material played live, that totally made the night for me. I didn't care about the fake beard and I certainly didn't notice Denis' voice not being "right" or whatever. If the guy hits the notes, and puts his heart into it, that's good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Well, maybe they don't know that there was a band before the trio era, and don't know that they should find out what era is being acknowledged by the tribute act in question. Or maybe they assumed it would focus more on the "popular" music, kinda like Genesis themselves did on their last gaggle of tours. A lot of people seem to expect "the hits" when they see a band or even a tribute act live. Maybe that's what happened in that situation.

I wonder how many people saw Yes in 2000 (they year they brought back Ritual and Gates Of Delirium), and were disappointed they didn't even play Owner Of A Lonely Heart.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Well, maybe they don't know that there was a band before the trio era, and don't know that they should find out what era is being acknowledged by the tribute act in question. Or maybe they assumed it would focus more on the "popular" music, kinda like Genesis themselves did on their last gaggle of tours. A lot of people seem to expect "the hits" when they see a band or even a tribute act live. Maybe that's what happened in that situation.
    That's why one click of The Musical Box website answers all those questions, which is the point of my post.