Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Musical Box - A Genesis Extravaganza

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    What date is the Tarrytown concert? There are still no US tour dates listed on the TMB extravaganza tour page. The tour starts tonight in Oslo.
    March 10, 2019

Tupelo Music Hall Derry, NH on March 6. Tickets are on sale.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I would advise not taking her to the show if that's possible. If you've ever seen Gabriel era concert footage or been to one of those shows, you'll notice there are very few women in the audience, and there are reasons for that.
    It wasn't until Phil took over vocals and the music changed, women started enjoying the music and concerts, and by the time Phil released his solo album, you really started seeing guys with dates, other than "buds" like in the early Genesis concerts.
    I can pretty much guarantee she won't get into them, it will make you feel uncomfortable and probably ruin the night for both of you, and worst scenario an argument.
    If you still feel you'd like to give it a try, I'd start by introducing her to some of the classic genesis material by listening to Seconds Out. Phil singing some of the classics might make it more interesting for her, and a softer introduction to the music.
    I'm optimistic that my partner will enjoy the show. I've warned her about the costumes, stories, you know, weirdness. I've also been playing Trick and Live (tonight) and although this music is foreign to her she is open-minded. She knows Genesis is my lifeblood with a deep deep connection to the music and how much I admire all of the musicians in Genesis.

In the worst case scenario, she may not like it but will still respect me.

Shit, during my university years 1991-2002, Genesis were the one 70s "prog" act which generated allegations and accusations of "posh fairiness" from most all women I knew. Why do some insist on believing that somehow "women" as singular category are -generally- less receptive of attemptively harsh musical expressions? Is it the same factor of obtuse stereotype which apparently promotes and mandates Porcupine Tree or Marillion as somewhat ideal titles by which "prog" can be introduced to the feminine side of humanity?

"Gaybriel, haw-haw!" I could never get over it; "Gaybriel". And often coming from leftist women who'd otherwise champion LGBT-arguments through their vulva.

In other words: bring both wifey, wifey's ma and your own grandma. And bring your dog too.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Why do some insist on believing that somehow "women" as singular category are -generally- less receptive of attemptively harsh musical expressions? Is it the same factor of obtuse stereotype which apparently promotes and mandates Porcupine Tree or Marillion as somewhat ideal titles by which "prog" can be introduced to the feminine side of humanity?

"Gaybriel, haw-haw!" I could never get over it; "Gaybriel". And often coming from leftist women who'd otherwise champion LGBT-arguments through their vulva.

In other words: bring both wifey, wifey's ma and your own grandma. And bring your dog too.
    While I appreciate your intellectual approach to this topic(and humor), I think you're over thinking this a bit. And as one who suggested the member to not take her to a Gabriel based Genesis concert, I did so based on the commenter's own trepidation and her history of the music she liked.
    And to suggest someone's comment in that regard is somehow dismissive of a woman's intellect and receptiveness to non mainstream music is a bit hurtful. I have and always will be respectful of women and their intellect, and a champion for women's rights since the civil rights movement back in the 60's.

I've been married to my wife for 42 years and when we were first dating I had an old Volkswagon Beetle with an 8 track cartridge player, and her first introduction to my love for music was Genesis' Foxtrot.
    We have gone to every Peter Gabriel concert he's toured, same with Genesis(Phil era) seen Musical Box perform The Lamb, ELP, Discipline, and she even likes King Crimson. She knows the lyrics to most albums and sings along, and even comments "I had XX playing in my head today". To look over at her beautiful face and hear her singing along to Musical Box brings a smile to my face, every time!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I like this.

Women and PROG...
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    March 10, 2019
    Scored tix in row C, thanks for the head's up.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I think you're over thinking this a bit.
    It wasn't to counter your argument. But neither was it a case of overthinking. It was a comment on a general principle.

We're coming on late 2018; the music in question here is closing in on half-a-century of age. During those 50 years, things have changed dramatically - in music and arts, in our understanding of gender and society. Genesis anno 1973 might not appear either radical or particularly challenging with many groups of listeners today, due to the fact that music - also in "rock" - attained far more drastic traits in the developing years afterwards. There was a cultural evolution in popular music - that is until development eventually stopped as "popular music" became an irrelevant treat among younger generations and as such is barely even self-contained anymore. But it's no longer primarily music, it's theatrical and medial reenactment, not only of songs, sounds, costumes and wonderful fake beards, but of bygone culture.

And THIS is why your dog might get as much or little out of a "Genesis extravaganza" as ol' grannie. If you're unacquainted with the subject matter in the first Place, there's no "shock" in anything Genesis.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

You make a good point about how dramatically music and arts have changed the past 50 years, I hadn't taken that into consideration.

I was fortunate to have seen both the Selling England by the Pound and The Lamb Tours.
    Selling England was performed at our local University, Eastern Michigan University, so it was a rather small intimate venue they performed at.
    While I was familiar with the music, seeing it performed live and Peter's costumes and performance was like nothing I'd ever seen before.

Thanks for your response.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by schlongasaurus View Post
    Tupelo Music Hall Derry, NH on March 6. Tickets are on sale.
    That's the show I'd be going to see but I just don't dare to order tickets for that time of year. I'm a solid hour from Derry and I wouldn't drive in a snow storm to get there. I haven't been to the new venue yet. I wonder if TMB will be able to fit all their staging/special effects or if they will have to pare it down?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Sounds great, but no US dates yet. Possibly in the current climate it’s not possible, now that Canada is our “rival.”

http://themusicalbox.net/extravaganza.php?lang=en
    Not anymore, a new NAFTA or now called USMAC deal was reached last night so the climate is calm. For now, unless Trump comes up with more confrontations attacking his allies and friendly neighbors..so like he always says: "We'll see what happens."

Did you see the setlist... It is amazing! Many less-played tunes. I'll be there!

I saw them play the Extravaganza yesterday, it is quite different from the run of the mill tour/set recreations we have been used to, fun nonetheless.

The show is split into three acts, the first being Trick/Wind focussed but mostly instrumental. The second act was Lamb highlights, and superbly recreated. The third act was some really deep cuts from the early albums plus a few more familiar songs, running into the encore.

I was not gig to bother this time around as I've seen them so many times now, but I am really pleased that I made the effort.

On the gender aspect, I took my partner to last years Black Show and she said it ranked amongst the weirdest gigs she had ever seen. She declined an invite this time around

There are 4 CA & another NY date as well. Hopefully more US dates will appear
    Last edited by dgtlman; 10-03-2018 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    Where are these US dates listed? I don't see them on the TMB website tour dates.
    https://www.genesis-news.com/c-The-M...ates-s662.html

Saw an additional NY, USA date on another site as well

wow, four California dates and all of them in so-cal? seems a disturbing trend lately the dire straits legacy shows with mel Collins and trevor horn had two so-cal and nothing north as well. is there that much more interest down there!? hopefully they add some more shows.

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    https://www.genesis-news.com/c-The-M...ates-s662.html

Saw an additional NY, USA date on another site as well
    So more of the US tour dates should show up between 2/10/2019 and 4/02/19 inbetween 2 Canadian stints.

In fact, I just checked my email and tix went on sale at the Arcada in Chicago for March 29 and 30 today. Very odd The Musical Box website wouldn't show these dates yet.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    wow, four California dates and all of them in so-cal? seems a disturbing trend lately the dire straits legacy shows with mel Collins and trevor horn had two so-cal and nothing north as well. is there that much more interest down there!? hopefully they add some more shows.
    I'm sure they will--notice the five-day gap between Pasadena and San Juan Cap. Gotta get up to San Francisco somewhere in there!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I'm sure they will--notice the five-day gap between Pasadena and San Juan Cap. Gotta get up to San Francisco somewhere in there!
    ya hopefully they do a nice run up the coast in that time, send some love to Oregon and Washington too hopefully.

####$#POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD#####

Saw the new look show the other night in Edinburgh and a few thoughts, some good, some bad.

New drummer is a big step down. He performs well on the rockier bits especially during the Lamb section but is severely lacking in the swing Collins or Bruford brought to the table.
    Disappointed that most of the first section of Trick/Wind material is just medleys. I know Genesis themselves were prone to this but that doesn't make it right. Thank God we got an unfutzed with Blood on the Rooftops though the bright mix of the drums almost scorched that.

On the plus side the band did great justice to Can Utility and Seven Stones the latter a real highlight. They also stormed through Dance on a Volcano with great aplomb. We were also treated to the foxes head and red dress at the close of the Musical Box.

The shortcomings of the drummer also limited my enjoyment of Cinema Show. And the bass players move from Rick to Shergold during several numbers made you really aware of what an attractive tone the Ricky has.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ The beard, man! How was the beard?

Sadly there was no beard! 🤨

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Thank God

I was slightly disappointed by the presentation. I think musically The Watch and Mama do a better job. It was ok, The Lamb section was best. I was expecting more for the price. There was considerable heckling during the first section due to the medley approach "Play the f@@@@ing songs you c@@@@" was my favourite. To the point.

Yes I was disappointed too, particularly with the whole medley thing. Frankly, I really f*cking hated that and am on exactly on the same page as your brilliant heckler. As Genesis fans themselves I'm surprised they followed that path. Combined with the occasionally Neanderthal drumming it all made the first section a bit of a washout for me, except for the full Blood on the Rooftops and Denis Gagnes great turn on the Rick bass- who knew!

I'd prefer to see the proper original shows again to be honest. Hearing them tackle Seven Stones etc makes me really want to see them do a Foxtrot show. Bug they really need to ditch that drummer. I felt like early Yes fans must have felt when presented with Alan White....really quite deflated.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    Yes I was disappointed too, particularly with the whole medley thing. Frankly, I really f*cking hated that and am on exactly on the same page as your brilliant heckler. As Genesis fans themselves I'm surprised they followed that path. Combined with the occasionally Neanderthal drumming it all made the first section a bit of a washout for me, except for the full Blood on the Rooftops and Denis Gagnes great turn on the Rick bass- who knew!

I'd prefer to see the proper original shows again to be honest. Hearing them tackle Seven Stones etc makes me really want to see them do a Foxtrot show. Bug they really need to ditch that drummer. I felt like early Yes fans must have felt when presented with Alan White....really quite deflated.
    Yes, same here. I've seen them a few times now & I thought that their Black Show last year was absolutely superb - hairs on the back of your neck stuff... But this time around it felt more like they were just "going through the motions"...

I didn't understand why four of the band were "in costume" with the guitarist wearing his usual Hackett wig etc, whilst the keyboard player seemed to have made no effort to look remotely like Tony Banks, with short dark spiky hair & jeans / modern denim shirt. Maybe he was just a last minute replacement session player for the UK tour?

I don't really mind either way - costumed or not - but it just seemed an odd juxtaposition, particularly given TMB's reputation for anorak levels of detail in recreating the original shows.

Also, I agree that opening with the instrumental Trick / Wind medley was underwhelming and not good - particularly in the way that they again screwed around with the line up on the opening number (with the vocalist opting to play bass). I assume it was to accommodate the relative lack of Collin's era vocals - but it really didn't work for me & set the whole show off on the wrong foot.

Overall it was still an enjoyable show (it was live Genesis music after all) and it did improve with the latter sections, but such a disappointment given last years incredible Black Show recreation.