Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about Dusty Rhodes

Question about Dusty Rhodes

I read recently that Robert Fripp played as "hidden" guitarist on the first Gabriel tour in 77 under the monicker Dusty Rhodes.. Apparently he played behind a curtain. I don't know if this is verified or a legend. My question : I saw the Gabriel tour in fall 77 in Germany. I didn't found the band list, I know that Steve Hunter did only th US tour in spring. Does someone know who played on the European part of the tour in 77 and did Fripp played and when yes behind a curtain. I was a big Crimso fan back then and I would have recognized Fripp if he had been on stage.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Fripp/Rhodes was on the first leg of the tour, March-April 1977. He wouldn't have been on the show you saw in the fall. The fall leg had Sid McGinnis, Jerry Marotta, Tony Levin and Bayete-- the whole band changed over except Levin.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Fripp/Rhodes was on the first leg of the tour, March-April 1977. He wouldn't have been on the show you saw in the fall. The fall leg had Sid McGinnis, Jerry Marotta, Tony Levin and Bayete-- the whole band changed over except Levin.
    thanx a lot !
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    I read recently that Robert Fripp played as "hidden" guitarist on the first Gabriel tour in 77 under the monicker Dusty Rhodes.. Apparently he played behind a curtain. I don't know if this is verified or a legend. My question : I saw the Gabriel tour in fall 77 in Germany. I didn't found the band list, I know that Steve Hunter did only th US tour in spring. Does someone know who played on the European part of the tour in 77 and did Fripp played and when yes behind a curtain. I was a big Crimso fan back then and I would have recognized Fripp if he had been on stage.
    It's completely true. I saw Gabriel's 1st US solo show in Trenton and RF did indeed play behind a curtain.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Are Dusty Roads and Dusty Hill related?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    It's completely true. I saw Gabriel's 1st US solo show in Trenton and RF did indeed play behind a curtain.
    Wow - as in you could see his silhouette or was just completely non-visible behind an opaque curtain?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    i'm pretty sure i've heard a bootleg (don't know from which show) were, when gabriel was introducing the band he said (something like) "and, playing guitar offstage, robert fripp"

I was at the first Gabriel tour at The Roxy, and it was, without a doubt, Robert Fripp on guitar.

It was a poorly hidden "secret" that Dusty Roads was Fripp.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Wow - as in you could see his silhouette or was just completely non-visible behind an opaque curtain?
    It was very obvious who was playing those fuzz-sustained notes. Didn't take a lot of guessing.

I don't think you could see his silhouette, but I don't 100% remember.

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    exactly - even before the internet!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

What I want to know is whether Dusty Rhodes is related to Happy Rhodes!
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    What I want to know is whether Dusty Rhodes is related to Happy Rhodes!
    Or even David Rhodes...

or even Lonesome Rhodes...(the Andy Griffith character in the movie: A Face in the Crowd)
    G.A.S -aholic

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Good God. With all the bad puns, it's like Jed exploded in here.
    Chad

I was kinda hoping it was going to be all about this guy

More nostalgia ,
    On the Gabriel 77 concert I saw ( from memory) he came alone on stage in a judo suite and introduced in German a small teddy bear to the audience then sat on the piano stool and put the teddy bear on top of the lid and started with Here Comes The Flood....quite unusual concert at this time , he used only white light and a part of the stage was build of Lighting elements which he used to get light from the bottom which worked quite nicely . Gabriel had always great stage ideas.

More nostalgia ,
    On the Gabriel 77 concert I saw ( from memory) he came alone on stage in a judo suite and introduced in German a small teddy bear to the audience then sat on the piano stool and put the teddy bear on top of the lid and started with Here Comes The Flood....quite unusual concert at this time , he used only white light and a part of the stage was build of Lighting elements which he used to get light from the bottom which worked quite nicely . Gabriel had always great stage ideas.
    He did something slightly different in Chicago on that tour. He came out alone (house lights still on) sporting a cute lil stuffed teddy bear and a supershort crew cut. Sat down at the piano and began playing a song of which I can only remember the following lyric:

"Me and my teddy bear...
    ...we don't have any hair..."

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    He did something slightly different in Chicago on that tour. He came out alone (house lights still on) sporting a cute lil stuffed teddy bear and a supershort crew cut. Sat down at the piano and began playing a song of which I can only remember the following lyric:

"Me and my teddy bear...
    It was his rewrite of a children's song originally written by Williams and Coots. He released a version of it as a B-side (to "D.I.Y."). The weird vocal sound is not a YouTube problem; the recording just sounds like that.

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Those early Gabriel shows had some strange things. He did a few covers, one of which was actually officially released on this obscurity. (Anyone have this?)

https://www.discogs.com/Various-The-...elease/1481929

Saw the Gabriel show in Detroit. I was sitting near the front waaaay on the left side so I could watch Dusty behind the curtain. I have a CD of the Los Angeles show of the tour. Might be time to listen to that again, it's been a while.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The ONLY Gabriel tour I missed. Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    I was kinda hoping it was going to be all about this guy

If you want kicks in the head, you're going to have to go with Steve Howe. Mr. Fripp is a gentleman. The Champion of an entire League of them, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Those early Gabriel shows had some strange things. He did a few covers, one of which was actually officially released on this obscurity. (Anyone have this?)

https://www.discogs.com/Various-The-...elease/1481929
    .<Raises hand>.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post

"Me and my teddy bear...

best
    Michael
    That was actually the 78s tour. The crewcut happened after the second album; apparently as a symbolic gesture when he and his wife were having problems. The Teddy Bear song later appeared on one version of the DIY single.

Old man of prog
    Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    I was at the first Gabriel tour at The Roxy, and it was, without a doubt, Robert Fripp on guitar.

I saw the show at the Orpheum in Boston and Fripp was hidden behind a dark curtain. They opened with "Here Comes the Flood" and his guitar was unmistakable.

On the Cleveland Ohio show from March 1977, Gabriel introduces "on the far side of the stage, the somewhat obscure Dusty Roads, Rusty Toads, on lead guitar".