Thread: Joe Bonamassa - Country Blues in Nashville!

Joe Bonamassa - Country Blues in Nashville!

Joe is seeking redemption for playing country in San Diego!

http://www.soundpress.net/files-arts...-bonamassa.php

Joe's quite the player. I saw him at a couple local bars before he made it big. Saw him five times in all. Now it costs too much. Good for him and his success. It's been a long journey.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Joe's a living dictionary of blues and blues-rock guitar styles.

He even has all the right vintage guitars and amps .

Great ballsy player, but I can't recall or name one song he's done.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I'd be interested in hearing some of his country stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Joe's quite the player. I saw him at a couple local bars before he made it big. Saw him five times in all. Now it costs too much. Good for him and his success. It's been a long journey.
    I saw him in a club with about 200 people and he was fantastic. The last time he played the area he was playing at a nice auditorium, but the tickets were so highly priced that I skipped on him as well.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Joe's a living dictionary of blues and blues-rock guitar styles.

He even has all the right vintage guitars and amps .

Great ballsy player, but I can't recall or name one song he's done.

As a guitar enthusiast I should like the guy, but I just can't warm up to him. Not only can't I name a single tune I can't even identify his style, all I hear are his separate influences but can't distinguish it adding up to the sum of anything.

If he's mastered everything else I guess he should have a shot at country, why not add Luther Perkins to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    As a guitar enthusiast I should like the guy, but I just can't warm up to him. Not only can't I name a single tune I can't even identify his style, all I hear are his separate influences but can't distinguish it adding up to the sum of anything.

If he's mastered everything else I guess he should have a shot at country, why not add Luther Perkins to the list.
    Joe doesn't chart, except the blues charts. And you're certainly not going to hear him on your average rock station, which actually mystifies me, since they loved SRV all those years ago.

I get the sentiment, though. He's a bit indistinct and doesn't play like he's actually lived the blues. So, it comes off like what I call upper-middle-class-white-boy-blues. All the pieces may be there, but not a whole lot of soul.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Never understood the fuss with Bonamassa to be honest. When I want blues that takes it to levels that are beyond my comprehension (in a good way), I usually just end up playing Scott Henderson. Not saying the guy is terrible, because he has talent, but I usually refer to this as iBlues
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I have all of this albums and love what he does. No he is not doing anything new, but he is great at what he does. As mentioned earlier I saw him in a club before he got big and I thought he was fantastic. He used to even cover some prog including Jethro Tull and Yes in his early days. Big fan of Black Country Communion as well.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Never understood the fuss with Bonamassa to be honest.
    He filled a gap in the mainstream.

He's a bit indistinct and doesn't play like he's actually lived the blues. So, it comes off like what I call upper-middle-class-white-boy-blues. All the pieces may be there, but not a whole lot of soul.
    This !!!.......I find his playing, oh, how would I describe it,....he can "check-the-boxes" on technique, tone and playing "approximately-correct" blues solos but on an emotional scale, he bores me to death!
    G.A.S -aholic

I get the sentiment, though. He's a bit indistinct and doesn't play like he's actually lived the blues. So, it comes off like what I call upper-middle-class-white-boy-blues. All the pieces may be there, but not a whole lot of soul.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

He's obviously got a good management/promotional team. But I don't hear anything in his playing that's coming from within. It's unfortunate that these white copycat players get all of the attention because I can think of a half dozen black blues guitarists/vocalists/songwriters that are a whole lot more satisfying to listen to. They have their own style and personal voice.

But Joe is ambitious and he's made a career for himself. I heard him play live twice when he was 12 years old and he had great chops and tone back then, so I knew he was going to be a pro before long.

I like Joe. Yeah, there were previous masters of the form with a little more soul. But he has worked his ass off in terms of touring relentlessly, putting out product, and giving credit to his influences. Ian Anderson gave him a lot of advice starting out when Joe opened for a Tull tour some time ago. So "New Day Yesterday" was a constant part of his early sets.

I'm not real interested in hearing Joe do country but then again, my thoughts on that genre are well known.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I like Joe. Yeah, there were previous masters of the form with a little more soul. But he has worked his ass off in terms of touring relentlessly, putting out product, and giving credit to his influences.
    Yep. If he wanted to, I think he would do very well outside of blues as his early work demonstrates.