Thread: Mystery - Lies and Butterflies Released

Mystery - Lies and Butterflies Released

Mystery has released their 7th studio album, here are a couple tracks from it.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    It's an album of unused material from previous albums, isn't it? Rerecorded maybe. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It's an album of unused material from previous albums, isn't it? Rerecorded maybe. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    I've heard nothing to that effect. Based on writing credits and some other info I doubt it.

No, most of the material is brand new, although the closing epic Chrysalis was a song Michel started working on many years ago when he was only about 20 years old but didn't go back to until now. Also, the song Dare To Dream was written by singer Jean Pageau before he joined the band.

I know this because I interviewed Michel on Wednesday this past week and had a nice conversation with him about this album among other topics. My article will appear in the September issue of the Classic Rock Society magazine.

I like all Mystery albums, but I honestly think this is the best one yet!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Instabuy. Love this band. I've enjoyed ever one of their albums.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    This sounds really decent. My friend saw Mystery In Ottawa last Fall (I think) and said the show was amazing. I had thought about going so I realize I missed something special. Progatron,I look forward to reading your article. the guitar playing stands out and I like the vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
    I've heard nothing to that effect. Based on writing credits and some other info I doubt it.
    I thought for sure I'd read something to this effect, but I must be mistaken. I'm glad, I certainly prefer an all-new album!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    This sounds really decent. My friend saw Mystery In Ottawa last Fall (I think) and said the show was amazing. I had thought about going so I realize I missed something special. Progatron,I look forward to reading your article. the guitar playing stands out and I like the vocals.
    Yes, they are a more guitar-oriented band with not a lot of lead keyboard stuff. I agree that the vocalist (Jean) is very strong, and brings something new to the table with his flute playing. The last album Delusion Rain was excellent, and although this one is very similar in style, I think it tops it. There are some powerful moments that really make you stop and listen, and it's often a strong melody that causes it, as opposed to some ferocious bit of playing. I hope you like the article when it comes out, I worked hard on it, as I really want to give this fine band as much good press as I can.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    No, most of the material is brand new, although the closing epic Chrysalis was a song Michel started working on many years ago when he was only about 20 years old but didn't go back to until now. Also, the song Dare To Dream was written by singer Jean Pageau before he joined the band.

I know this because I interviewed Michel on Wednesday this past week and had a nice conversation with him about this album among other topics. My article will appear in the September issue of the Classic Rock Society magazine.

I like all Mystery albums, but I honestly think this is the best one yet!
    Will the article be available to read online? Or is there a digital version of the magazine I can buy? Looking forward to the interview regardless!

Will the article be available to read online? Or is there a digital version of the magazine I can buy? Looking forward to the interview regardless!
    It's a real, honest to goodness magazine. You can subscribe or buy individual back issues here:

http://www.classicrocksociety.co.uk/...ory/magazines/

Many of those have interview features I've done.

Edit: for an online sample, I can direct you to Steve Hackett's site where he posted an interview I did with him when he released The Night Siren, if you're interested in seeing the types of articles we do.

http://hackettsongs.com/interview/interview21.html

It's a real, honest to goodness magazine. You can subscribe or buy individual back issues here:

Edit: for an online sample, I can direct you to Steve Hackett's site where he posted an interview I did with him when he released The Night Siren, if you're interested in seeing the types of articles we do.

I will be buying a back issue then! Thanks for letting us know about the interview!

I will be buying a back issue then! Thanks for letting us know about the interview!
    No problem! The current issue is just arriving with subscribers now (with my Don Airey and Ted Leonard interviews) so this Mystery one won't be until the next issue obviously, but I'll remind people when it is printed.

Airplay

Thought Radio™ Playlist #462 for August 11, 2018.
    http://thoughtradio.org/playlists/2018/180811.html

Yes, they are a more guitar-oriented band with not a lot of lead keyboard stuff. I agree that the vocalist (Jean) is very strong, and brings something new to the table with his flute playing. The last album Delusion Rain was excellent, and although this one is very similar in style, I think it tops it.
    Yes, excellent band and album. Jean also adds some nice keyboard stuff live. Talented guy and a great fit for the band.

They have been remarkably consistent.
    This one might be my favorite!!!
    The Prog Corner

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Been on board since "Beneath the Veil of Winter's Face" in '07. Saw that iteration at FMPM with Benoit. I've enjoyed all the releases since then and dig the new vocalist.

The new one is pretty much on par with "Delusion Rain". The band has had an amazingly consistent run of albums over the decades. Here's an album review if you're interested. I'll have an audio interview with Michel up in another week.

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/al...d-butterflies/

Enjoy!

I wish I could be a fan but the music just does not resonate with me. I do consider Michel a friend though and wish him all the success in the world. He's really done well with this band and his fan base is growing the world over. Good guys don't always finish last.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    The new one is pretty much on par with "Delusion Rain". The band has had an amazingly consistent run of albums over the decades. Here's an album review if you're interested. I'll have an audio interview with Michel up in another week.

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/al...d-butterflies/

Enjoy!
    Please let us know when it's up!

I subscribed to Classic Rock for a year and really liked it. But it's a bit pricey to get in the US (about $70/yr). I wish there was some less expensive way to get it.

Absolutely obsessed with this album. I’ve listened to it on repeat about 15 times over the last couple weeks while reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Master View Post
    Absolutely obsessed with this album. I’ve listened to it on repeat about 15 times over the last couple weeks while reading.
    Yep, that's my feelings on Mystery, they make great music but only to listen to while doing something else.

Someone asked that I post my interview with Michel when it's published, which happened today, though the interview was done about 6 weeks ago. Here is the link:

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/in...stock-mystery/

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    Someone asked that I post my interview with Michel when it's published, which happened today, though the interview was done about 6 weeks ago. Here is the link:

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/in...stock-mystery/
    Thanks for the link, that was a good interview!

Another fine album from Mystery. Not as good as Delusion Rain, but not far behind.