Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Post Rock

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Since we're starting to veer toward the heavier side of things...Ex Eye
    Oh I like that one. Bought it not too long ago...strange! That's a headphoner though for me. Definitely not a driving selection
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Totally not post rock but badass heavy instrumental rock. And the besty-bestiest best album title + cover you'll see in quite a while:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Kickass-...elease/3846278
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Lot's of noodling with jam bands. I'd say post rock is more about atmosphere. Some post rock can be very samey which I don't have patience for. There has to be a little variety and transition for my easily bored brain
    hmm... ok... perhaps this band (which I personally love) is also "Post Rock" then?

https://humanfactor.bandcamp.com/album/homo-universum
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    God is an Astronaut is my fave, though I'm a novice with the genre. I also really like Pymlico, if they're considered to be post rock. Been meaning to check out Russian Circles - they've gotten love here, before.
    Russian Circles have some pretty awesome stuff. This should give you a decent idea of what they're about...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Miasma & The Carousel Of Headless Horses?? I'll have to try that just because of the name. The others I've heard and liked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    IIRC Miasma had members of Guapo in it... Correct me if I am wrong Ian. I have their debut but haven't listened to it in many years.
    You ain't wrong on the Miasmah / Guapo connection
    Correct, its a David O'Sullivan band with David Smith on drums & percussion so thats Guapo's main man (Smith) and the guy hugely influential on what is considered by many as Guapo's peak period (5 Suns, Black Oni, Elixirs) in O'Sullivan.

I personally love Miasma & The Carousel Of Headless Horses, they have a vibe that is outstanding, not post rock but worth checking out is David Smith's project The Stargazers Assistant.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I am far from an expert on the genre, but I am a pretty big fan of Mogwai and if Gosta Berlings Saga is a post rock band, they are great as well. What about Guapo? Anyone consider them post rock? They seem similar to me, but not really sure where they fit.

They were more Zeuhl in the 5 Sun era but they're probably more post rock these days.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I personally never really thought of Guapo or Gosta as post rock myself, but as was said above, post rock is a pretty wide umbrella and if folks want to call band X post rock then...well, I guess
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Just bought

Caspian - The Four Trees
    Pelican - The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw
    Russian Circles - Enter
    This Will Destroy You - Another Language

First albums for me by each of them
    Ian

Suggestion for you Ian, if you haven't gotten it already: Caspian's "Waking Season." A summertime post rock album, if that makes any sense at all. Still heavy, but there's a...I dunno, radiance about the songs.

I've been spending weeks coming up with my top 20 Post-rock albums. I should have it done in a week, was going to start a thread about it but maybe I'll just add it here.
    Seemed like back in the late nineties a lot of university and college kids got into it. I know my daughter was going to university in the mid 00's and listened to Explosions In The Sky a lot. Loved the line in The Pineapple Express movie where Seth Rogen's character is trying to breakup with his high school girlfriend and says "You're gonna go off to college soon... and you're gonna start listening to bands like Godspeed You! Black Emperor and the f...ing Shins!"
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm surprised by the lack of someone questioning whether Post Rock is an actual genre, or simply a label used for rock albums from a certain time period. I remember that the first two supposedly Post Rock albums that were recommended to me were Tortoise's "Millions Now Living Will Never Die" and Magnog's s/t debut. Pretty different types of music if you ask me. I know progressive rock does SORT OF the same thing, but not really.

Guapo's "History of the Visitation" has that Post Rock thing going on. I can pick up on the Zeuhl, but Tremors From The Future seems PR.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

A lot of people feel Talk Talk's Spirit Of Eden is where it all started. Bark Psychosis' Hex gets mentioned too. I just like where Godspeed took it and others with that apocalyptic sound in the latter nineties.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

My favourite Post Rock/Math Rock has to Explosion in the Sky. I have all their albums and collected a few movies with their soundtracks

I like to think I was an early fan of the genre in the second half of the 90's, when I flashed onto early GYBE, Tortoise and returned on the last two Talk Talk (which I'd not thought of as genre-starting before the millenium).
    Second wave like ExplosionsITS or Mogwai failed to move me the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Tarentel is one of my favorites, although I must confess I hardly listen to post-rock these days.
    Here's the Bandcamp-page of one of their best albums, "From Bone To Satellite" https://tarentel.bandcamp.com/
    Absolutely... and what a fantastic debut album that was

But you're right, I don't listen much (if at all) to post-rock nowadays. AAMOF, if the genre still exist, I consider it a bit brain-dead but still coma-assisted alive, coz there hasn't been something novel since 05. At least nothing that I'm aware of

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Gosta Berlings Saga is considered Post Rock. They would get my no. 1 nod. (And they were terrific live.)
    GBS Post-rock?? some of the time maybe, but it's not really the first genre I'd throw them into.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    is Post Rock the same as Jam Band?
    is it all 4/4?
    are there extreme changes (not necessarily time sig changes) within compositions?
    Naaah, it's more of a form of heavy ambience minimalism... Think of Bartsch's Ronin or The Necks with searing guitars

I had tried to get into them, but couldn't do it. Like you I found it a total snooze.
    Yup, I found a few minutes of Ros gorgeous, but this is absolutely tiring and boring beyond the fourth minutes.
    Today, the those Hope(less)landic vocals irritate me more than anything else

I personally never really thought of Guapo or Gosta as post rock myself, but as was said above, post rock is a pretty wide umbrella and if folks want to call band X post rock then...well, I guess
    Guapo became Post Rock after their zeuhl era (5 suns and lack Oni), BGS, not, IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    A lot of people feel Talk Talk's Spirit Of Eden is where it all started. Bark Psychosis' Hex gets mentioned too. I just like where Godspeed took it and others with that apocalyptic sound in the latter nineties.
    Yup, I must say that the Constellation label and its bands did an amazing amount of inspiration for the genre, but in retrospect, it might've carved or dug its own hole/grave, that umltimately is too tight. But yes, I thought that the label's general Post-Apocalytic sonics suited the genre's name to a perfection. Do Make Say Thing and GYBE were my faves... Caught them a few times in concert, but they were just as minimalistic on stage as in the studio, IMHO.

Not sure I would englobe Bark Psychosis in the post-rock genre, though (partly because of the vocals), but it's definyely in the vicinity
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

GBS Post-rock?? some of the time maybe, but it's not really the first genre I'd throw them into.

I have no idea what constitutes Post-Rock. My first exposure to the term was GYBE! back around 2000, and since I didn't care for them, I didn't explore further. However, when GBS played Nearfest, Post-Rock was the descriptor used for them several times online, (not necessarily the NF website,) and I may have heard that at the venue as well. Whether it's correct or not is for others to say.

Never heard of them, but I really like that sample! Time to dig in!

I've really been diggin' these guys recently...

I've been listening to these guys too a bit lately...

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I have no idea what constitutes Post-Rock. My first exposure to the term was GYBE! back around 2000, and since I didn't care for them, I didn't explore further. However, when GBS played Nearfest, Post-Rock was the descriptor used for them several times online, (not necessarily the NF website,) and I may have heard that at the venue as well. Whether it's correct or not is for others to say.
    If I had to name one band to epitomize Post Rock's sound, I'd say it's GYBE...
    A bit like Magma epitomizes Zeuhl, or Marillion (both with Fish and Hogarth) for Neo-prog

IMHO, of course.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The post-rock I was exposed to always sounded like unfinished backing tracks, just waiting for somebody to actually do something over them.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    If I had to name one band to epitomize Post Rock's sound, I'd say it's GYBE...
    A bit like Magma epitomizes Zeuhl, or Marillion (both with Fish and Hogarth) for Neo-prog

IMHO, of course.
    Agreed
    Ian

Isn't post rock the music that the mail carrier and his co-workers jam out when they get off work?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Isn't post rock the music that the mail carrier and his co-workers jam out when they get off work?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    is Post Rock the same as Jam Band?
    is it all 4/4?
    are there extreme changes (not necessarily time sig changes) within compositions?
    Not really post-rock, but definitely indie, I find more changes within compositions with artists like 'Signals', 'Young Dreams', and 'Field Music'. Signals has a lot of nice live performances on YouTube and I may actually prefer their unplugged performances.

The nice thing you may like about post rock artists is bands like Tortoise and Godspeed... are instrumental, even though compositional changes aren't generally part of the mix