Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Yeah, ranking them as solo artists, I'd go something like this:

1) Steve Hackett
    2) Anthony Phillips
    3) Peter Gabriel
    4) Mike Rutherford
    5) Tony Banks
    6) Phil Collins

Spectral Mornings would be no. 1 by a country mile.
    Since it's all personal taste anyway, your list is valid for you. But what is the criteria? Most "Genesis" sounding output?
    Last edited by Splicer; 08-12-2018 at 08:56 PM.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Peter Gabriel
    Steve Hackett
    Anthony Phillips
    Tony Banks
    Phil Collins
    Mike Rutherford

My criteria - stuff I like the most.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 08-12-2018 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Almost absolutely , but I'd just shift Banks and Therford's respective places (I really hate the M&tM stuff)
    I would have Rutherford and Banks as almost a tie, since I'd pretty much dismiss everything after their first albums. I gave Rutherford the nod because I like Smallcreep's Day better than A Curious Feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Since it's all personal taste anyway, your list if valid for you. But what is the criteria? Most "Genesis" sounding output?
    Pretty simple criteria: What I like best.
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    It's incidental music Jed. Made to be used in service to something else. Buy it if you want, but you'll only listen to it once, in all likelihood.
    I think you meant to address Progatron.

Just realized the list leaves out things like Gabriel’s The Last Temptation of Christ and Phil Collins’ Tarzan.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Just realized the list leaves out things like Gabriel’s The Last Temptation of Christ and Phil Collins’ Tarzan.
    I'd rate Gabriel's Passion on the top 10 or 15. Tarzan, near the bottom.

1. Melt
    2. Spectral Mornings
    3. Smallcreeps Day
    4. Security
    5. Voyage of the Acolyte
    6. Curious Feeling
    7. Geese and the Ghost
    8. Us
    9. Please Dont Touch
    10. Car
    11. Still
    12. Scratch
    13. So
    14. Guitar Noir
    15. Bankstatement
    16. Face Value
    17. Mike + Mechanics
    18. Hello Must Be Going
    19. Both Sides
    20. Darktown

Fairly off the cuff, not set in stone, but pretty close based on how often I visit these albums, which are all worthwhile if not essential for any true all eras Genesis fan imo. Phil gets shafted a bit in these "non-Genesis" rankings by a lack of inclusion of his Brand X output of course. Phillips and Hackett have a lot of good material spread over a wide array of albums, so many individual albums not as consistent throughout.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 08-13-2018 at 06:45 PM. Reason: switch Still and Bankstm

I heard a bit of Dance into the Light when it was new. Nice to have Phil on acoustic drums although I wasn't keen on the songs.

For Hackett I put Please Don't Touch and Spectral Mornings ahead of Voyage of the Acolyte.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    1. Melt
    2. Spectral Mornings
    3. Smallcreeps Day
    4. Security
    5. Voyage of the Acolyte
    6. Curious Feeling
    7. Geese and the Ghost
    8. Us
    9. Please Dont Touch
    10. Car
    11. Bankstatement
    12. Scratch
    13. So
    14. Guitar Noir
    15. Still
    16. Face Value
    17. Mike + Mechanics
    18. Hello Must Be Going
    19. Both Sides
    20. Darktown

Fairly off the cuff, not set in stone, but pretty close based on how often I visit these albums, which are all worthwhile if not essential for any true all eras Genesis fan imo. Phil gets shafted a bit in these "non-Genesis" rankings by a lack of inclusion of his Brand X output of course. Phillips and Hackett have a lot of good material spread over a wide array of albums, so many individual albums not as consistent throughout.
    that's a pretty good list.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I think you meant to address Progatron.
    Nope. Progatron seems to have a handle on what library recordings are. When you said, "But what if it sounds a little bit like Genesis?" I took that to mean that you thought they might still be worth getting, and I was trying to warn you that you'd be disappointed. However, I was assuming that you like Genesis (the Prog-Rock years anyway,) but if that was a wrong assumption then the point is moot.
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    And it's quite hilarious they've dumped his debut solo Car at #24. I remember at the time the album was good it almost made you forget Genesis released Trick of the Tail.
    Not for me. Trick of the Tail kicks Car's arse. I listen to Trick probably in a ratio of 50-1 over Car. Not even close.
    In fact, my memory of my initial reaction to that first solo album was a bit of disappointment that it sounded nothing like LLDOB, it was much more traditional sounding. Took me awhile to warm up to it. Trick on the other hand had me salivating from the first guitar licks of Dance on a Volcano.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 08-12-2018 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Since it's all personal taste anyway, your list is valid for you. But what is the criteria? Most "Genesis" sounding output?
    my ranking was also based for 40% on stuff I can't stand... In that regards, Mike & Phil are way ahead of the pack
    And another 10% is for stuff I couldn't care less about: Ant's library PP&P

1. Melt
    2. Spectral Mornings
    3. Smallcreeps Day
    4. Security
    5. Voyage of the Acolyte
    6. Curious Feeling
    7. Geese and the Ghost
    8. Us
    9. Please Dont Touch
    10. Car
    something like that , though So would bump Car out of it.

Not for me. Trick of the Tail kicks Car's arse. I listen to Trick probably in a ratio of 50-1 over Car. Not even close.
    In fact, my memory of my initial reaction to that first solo album was a bit of disappointment that it sounded nothing like LLDOB, it was much more traditional sounding. Took me awhile to warm up to it. Trick on the other hand had me salivating from the first guitar licks of Dance on a Volcano.
    Yup, Trick is top notch Genesis... a bit as if they never needed Gabe

And I find Solsburry nauseating (though the over -xposition didn't help either)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The Fugitive bottom of the list? Pah! The list invalidates itself from the word go...and I really like Tony's voice on that album. It has a fragile, emotional quality that is entirely missing from A Curious Feeling to my tastes.

Car is brilliant IMO. Probably my favorite solo record of the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    Car is brilliant IMO. Probably my favorite solo record of the bunch.
    Agreed. I'd put in in the top 5 of DocProgers's list.

Quote Originally Posted by hFx View Post
    A touch of Collins...

"And So To F" is wonderful. I've often joked that if, in the insanely unlikely situation, I went to a Collins meet-and-greet, I'd tell him that was my favorite song he'd ever written. Which is actually not far from the truth.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Remember when Gabriel worked with Randy Newman?

I feel it is unfair that "Passion" was omitted from the ranking altogether, as much as I disagree with the priorities there anyway. To me, this album is one out of the best of Gabriel and should surely be in the top 5 of the list.
    And where is "Ovo"? - this is a very significant work as well.
    Anyway, my top 5 would probably me something like this:

-Voyage of the Acolyte
    -Passion
    -Geese and the Ghost
    -Spectral Morings+Defector
    -Security

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    And, of course, vice-versa.
    Yeah, but the point is that Genesis came first and had been in existence for a while before Hackett joined. Anthony, Mike, and Tony were just as important to their sound, but Hackett seems to get put on a pedestal by certain folks while the other three guys are not given the credit they deserve.

Well I've certainly never felt there were any 'villains' RE; Hackett, particularly his departure. My absolute favourite albums were done with him there. I think he is sometimes underplayed by some (and look at his sidelining in that Together And Apart documentary). But when it comes to the reasons behind the actual split? It seems that he wanted an automatic percentage of writing credits going forward, and that would seem a big ask, if I were in their shoes.

I think Hackett's first four Charisma albums are essential. Of the later ones I like To Watch The Storms best, and enjoy a lot of what is on Guitar Noir, Darktown etc. In later years, I'm pleased that he's getting his music out to a bigger audience than he once was but for me he's gotten very samey. Always that big reverb-drenched sound, layered vocal harmonies and a lot of mid-tempo songs. Fewer instrumental showcases than there used to be on his albums too, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    It seems that he wanted an automatic percentage of writing credits going forward, and that would seem a big ask, if I were in their shoes.
    Wasn't that how the band was operating before Gabriel left, with all songs credited to the whole band?
    New album THE HIPCRIME VOCAB available now!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Wasn't that how the band was operating before Gabriel left, with all songs credited to the whole band?
    I believe that came later, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    He seems to have wanted a percentage of any given subsequent album to be his material.

The shared credits were more frequent with Abacab- most of that album is credited to the three of them collectively. The way they wrote/recorded was, by then, basically jamming from scratch and building the songs from that in their own studio, rather than pre-written individual songs. But I think after Face Value, Collins had more clout as a songwriter too.

Hackett made some suggestions in older interviews that it was a pseudo-democracy, with Banks getting the lion's share of the material. But Banks for his part said that he felt that Hackett's strongest contributions were on W&W, so was surprised he left when he did.

Songwriting credits often seem to be the root of problems!

Credits from the five man era were to the entire band ("all titles composed by Genesis")... from A Trick Of The Tail through Abacab, the songs were credited individually, before resuming the full band credits with the Mama/Shapes album going forward.
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk