Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the music industry is killing the music..

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Will AI lyrics make as much sense as Jon Anderson?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    This will be the death of music.
    I don't see why. It probably means musicians won't write for commercials anymore, and they will probably compose soundtracks much less often but that is just a small slice of music.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    I don't see why. It probably means musicians won't write for commercials anymore, and they will probably compose soundtracks much less often but that is just a small slice of music.
    I should have said AI will be the death of us all, but that's a different debate for a different venue

"Thread, meet ditch"

Thread: <raises cap> "Evenin' ditch."
    Ditch: "Evenin' thread."

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    "Thread, meet ditch"

Thread: <raises cap> "Evenin' ditch."
    Ditch: "Evenin' thread."
    Yeah, A.I. fooling composers has nothing to do with the state of the music industry. We should be focusing on how Snarky Puppy is changing everything.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    "Hello, I'd like to have an argument please." - Monty Python
    I wanted to complain.

Oh no, that's next door.

It's being-hit-on-the-head lessons in here.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I’d much rather listen to Live At Leeds.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

https://www.elitedaily.com/music/how...ndustry/593411

I thought this an was interesting article about how millenials have taken over the music industry. The thing that stood out to me was the ideology that getting "attention" is now more important than album sales. Likes, views, etc are what millenials actually are craving, not dollars.

The idea that a professional studio or musicians is no longer needed, and that all one needs today is a laptop and $200 in software, that this is somehow a good idea.... is the new norm of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    https://www.elitedaily.com/music/how...ndustry/593411

I thought this an was interesting article about how millenials have taken over the music industry. The thing that stood out to me was the ideology that getting "attention" is now more important than album sales. Likes, views, etc are what millenials actually are craving, not dollars.

The idea that a professional studio or musicians is no longer needed, and that all one needs today is a laptop and $200 in software, that this is somehow a good idea.... is the new norm of thinking.
    From the article:

"Pitbull -- despite having 50 million Facebook fans and nearly 170 million YouTube plays -- has sold less than 10 million albums in his entire career."

Only 10 million albums? Poor Pitbull!

This isn't being driven by generational tastes but just the huge shift in technology from Napster on.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    This isn't being driven by generational tastes but just the huge shift in technology from Napster on.
    Right. AKA large companies like Alphabet, LLC. And legislation isn't controlling them so far. The fish rots from the head down, so start at the head.

Yes. The technological landscape has changed, and is continuing to change. It's not the 1970s anymore, as much as some folks would like it to be.

From the article:

"Pitbull ... has sold less than 10 million albums in his entire career."
    Hey, so have I!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Translation: Most of the target audience now thinks music should be free.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Translation: Most of the target audience now thinks music should be free.
    If she weighs the same as a duck... she's made of wood! And therefore--? A Millenial!!!
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Hey, so have I!
    You ain't the only one.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Yes. The technological landscape has changed, and is continuing to change. It's not the 1970s anymore, as much as some folks would like it to be.
    Oh for sure, I would like it to be. Pick the genre and the music was light years better in the 1970's. Rock, Hard Rock, Folk Rock, Jazz, Jazz fusion, Folk, Blues, Southern Rock, Reggae, Ska, singer songwriter, R and B, funk. Even rap, I'll take Steven Tyler rapping "Walk this Way" from Toys in the Attic over any rap today. Even hip hop was originated from funk grooves from live drummers in the 70's. I'll take Carole King over Taylor Swift any day. I'll take Kate Bush over Lady Gaga. The music being made by the millenial generation isn't even in the same discussion.

You can say Snarky Puppy and I'll say Chicago Transit.
    You say The Killers and I'll say The Who.
    You can say "One Direction" I'll take The Beatles.

Oh for sure, I would like it to be. Pick the genre and the music was light years better in the 1970's. Rock, Hard Rock, Folk Rock, Jazz, Jazz fusion, Folk, Blues, Southern Rock, Reggae, Ska, singer songwriter, R and B, funk. Even rap, I'll take Steven Tyler rapping "Walk this Way" from Toys in the Attic over any rap today. Even hip hop was originated from funk grooves from live drummers in the 70's. I'll take Carole King over Taylor Swift any day. I'll take Kate Bush over Lady Gaga. The music being made by the millenial generation isn't even in the same discussion.

You can say Snarky Puppy and I'll say Chicago Transit.
    You say The Killers and I'll say The Who.
    You can say "One Direction" I'll take The Beatles.
    One word.

Bubblemath.

We should be focusing on how Snarky Puppy is changing everything.
    Actually, Snarky Puppy are merely a (somewhat bland) step in a tradition which has already existed within progressive rock music for 50 years, although somehow you weren't around to realize it. So, basically, nothing about SP would consitute "change".
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

From the article:

"Pitbull -- despite having 50 million Facebook fans and nearly 170 million YouTube plays -- has sold less than 10 million albums in his entire career."

Only 10 million albums? Poor Pitbull!

Hes doing something right. His net worth is 65 million

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Hes doing something right. His net worth is 65 million

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Any music selling millions of likes, downloads, views in today's culture I am not likely to like. But I have an open mind and listened to one of his hits. Guess what? I don't like it.

There is nothing I like about it other than some of the pretty girls in the video, but I don't need his music to see that actually.
    This is just digital sound collaging, the same thing lots of progressive rock artists are doing as well. If you are going to play with digital samples and go down that worm hole, then why not be like Pitbull. Correct, he is making money and gaining fame in today's culture of people who actually buy and support this kind of music. I wouldn't want to be in a room filled with these people anyway. What kind of conversation are we going to have? Girls? Nightclubs in the Bahamas? Good drugs, what is on the top shelf of the bar? Maybe we might talk about the stock market or some real estate business opportunity, but more likely the hip new tennis shoes by Nike. Maybe the latest Tesla or if I am lucky we might talk about a good place to grab a late night espresso. There is absolutely zero to talk about concerning music.

I don't know who is supporting this music or why, but it's not for me to be involved in. I have plenty of friends and really doubt they are supporting this stuff... but who knows? Maybe they are afraid to tell me.

One word.

Bubblemath.
    You like Bubblemath, I'll take King Crimson, Gentle Giant or even Gong.

You like Bubblemath, I'll take King Crimson, Gentle Giant or even Gong.
    I prefer to live in the present rather than the past.

Bubblemath makes music that could not have been made 40 years ago. If you listened to their album Edit Peptide, you would know it sounds nothing like King Crimson or Gong. Though there are some Gentle Giant similarities, in their use of counterpoint.

If you want to shut yourself off from some really great music just because it’s made in the modern age, then that’s your prerogative. I don’t understand it, and I feel you’re missing out, but it’s like the old saying: You can lead a horse to water...
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

I prefer to live in the present rather than the past.

Bubblemath makes music that could not have been made 40 years ago. If you listened to their album Edit Peptide, you would know it sounds nothing like King Crimson or Gong. Though there are some Gentle Giant similarities, in their use of counterpoint.

If you want to shut yourself off from some really great music just because it’s made in the modern age, then that’s your prerogative. I don’t understand it, and I feel you’re missing out, but it’s like the old saying: You can lead a horse to water...
    Well, I take your point, but I do feel I keep an open mind. I do listen to new stuff... I listened to Bubblemath. I had never heard of them, but I listened to their album. To me it sounds dreadful. Why? It sounds fake, over produced as if someone spent way too much time cutting and pasting in Pro Tools or a similar program. Nothing sounds real. It lacks humanity, human feel, nuance and danger. I mean danger in that I know there will be no mistakes to hear. It sounds safe, and it doesn't flow in a natural way. The drums and bass are not going down together. There is zero chemistry in the rhythm section. What I mean is that if you broke it down, a drummer and bassist will always have lagging or latency. One or the other is pulling the music back, sitting back on the beat or slightly playing in front of it. It seems a nuance that has been lost to millenials. I mean it's ok to feel the music person to person.... especially in a rhythm section.

I am not saying they sound like King Crimson or Gentle Giant, I am saying if I had Bubblemath CD sitting next to King Crimson, I am going to play King Crimson of which there are many albums to choose from.

As far as music of the modern age, I am waiting to hear something seductive to my ears, which doesn't happen because I need music to have a direct emotional or inspirational connection to me in a real way.

So no, I don't just shut things out because they are new, I keep an open mind waiting for this generation to "get it".

I am aware there are young "hipsters" recording music on tape machines, but that doesn't do it either. Why? Because it needs to be great, not average. An alternative band still needs to sound better than Ziggy Stardust or Foxtrot. It doesn't... not yet. I hope someday a young musician "gets it" as just does it "the right way" and not just "the old way".

I think of it this way. A group of fairly diverse musicians have the potential to create a unique chemistry that a single musician can't access. One person will by default offer only narcissism. It is what it is.... but if one person is tracking most everything, it's going to have a narcissistic quality. People in their bedrooms making their "own" music will quickly fall into this category. For one you can't create natural latency if you overdub drums over bass or visa versa. Why? Because they can't BOTH listen to each other at the same time. That is the magic, and you can't have it tracking separately.

So any "band" should be better than the individuals... if not.. then why do it?

If you have a band, then that band needs to sound great together... to a point that if you took just two microphones and put them 20 feet apart and 15 feet back from the front of a bandstand, it should still sound great. Now if you have that, THEN you can go in and try to stretch that into something even better.... as a recording, but all great bands were all GREAT LIVE BANDS. If you can't pull it off live, go home. Think about your life and what else you might offer the world. No one NEEDS another dose of mediocrity.
    Last edited by Skullhead; 12-26-2018 at 01:20 AM.

heres my stance on music industry---

Music is art ,it resonated from soul.
    When its composed its scared art.
    when your making fucking music ,to pay your bills you need stop making music .

Your not making art ,your doing it out of needs to survive thats not art.
    Stuff that comes freeform from creation process ,Music is big one.
    Does not need to pay your bills.
    Yes if you make money off it good ,but making music demanding your cut or need money to live off.
    Your making music for wrong reason period.

It will show in your music,Its so pathetic how musicans say i need to eat like nick barett of pendragon.
    That guy needs shut his mouth ,i did not buy another pendragon cd after his rant your not making art idiot.
    Your not musician ,if your making music from job perspective ,just stop stop .

Do not proceed ,play another note or sing.
    As quality innocence ,whateva your creating ,will show fans your sellout .
    Your art is not freeform its vanity.