Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718

Thread: Why the music industry is killing the music..

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    It's sad that some people take it personally and are offended when others take a different POV than they do. Taking a personal shot makes you look small, Henry.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    The majority of my listening is done in my home office (NP: Bob Dylan -The Real Royal Albert Hall 1966 Concert) and I have purchased a decent amount of music from Bandcamp. They are downloaded in FLAC (for the office) and MP3 (for the idiot phone). I consider these legitimate albums but then again, I never got along with Skullhead.

Mr Kelman, what music player do you use for those 256Gb cards?
    I use a CAYIN n5iis, which supports two 400gb cards in addition to 64mb on-board memory, of which I can use most to store additional music files. So I can have close to 1TB available to me at any time on the Cayin.

My wife inherited my OPUS #1S when I bought the CAYIN. It's sonically similar and is in the same general price range (roughly $400-$600 CAD). The OPUS user manual says its two slots only accommodate 200Gb cards each, but I've put 400gb microSD cards in fhem and they also work, which was a pleasant surprise, though the OPUS is much, much slower in creating the database than the CAYIN is.

Hope this helps,
    J
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Progdreamer View Post
    I always thought reel to reels sounded best. Do people still listen to that format or is that really a thing of the past?
    Nope. While rare, there are still some who use reel-to-reel: heck, online audiophile stores like Elusivedisc.com actually sell 1/4" reel versions of some titles, though the same "buyer beware" still applies. I'm sure there are some that sound wonderful, but like any medium, who and how the. Mastering was done is immediately evident.
    John Kelman

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I use a CAYIN n5iis, which supports two 400gb cards in addition to 64mb on-board memory, of which I can use most to store additional music files. So I can have close to 1TB available to me at any time on the Cayin.

My wife inherited my OPUS #1S when I bought the CAYIN. It's sonically similar and is in the same general price range (roughly $400-$600 CAD). The OPUS user manual says its two slots only accommodate 200Gb cards each, but I've put 400gb microSD cards in fhem and they also work, which was a pleasant surprise, though the OPUS is much, much slower in creating the database than the CAYIN is.

Hope this helps,
    J
    Do you like the CAYIN, John? I'm looking for a replacement for a Classic iPod.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Nope. While rare, there are still some who use reel-to-reel: heck, online audiophile stores like Elusivedisc.com actually sell 1/4" reel versions of some titles, though the same "buyer beware" still applies. I'm sure there are some that sound wonderful, but like any medium, who and how the. Mastering was done is immediately evident.
    The ultimate cachet now would be for a well-known artist to release a new studio album in reel-to-reel format only.

I remember from the mid-70s Rolling Stone one of their reporters witnessed Jimmy Page, Ronnie Wood, and Keith Richards making copies of each others masters for their own personal listening. If that was a common practice, can you imagine the reel to reel collection in their peer group.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Do you like the CAYIN, John? I'm looking for a replacement for a Classic iPod.
    Yes, I do. The sound, in its price range is top notch. Having two microSD card s,Otis means you can have a collection of cards, as I do, that you can swap out/in as you wish; it has both balanced (best) and unvbalanced (still very good) outputs; and a DAC that is far, far better than those used in iPods. So, even compressed files and CD quality will sound way better than on the iPod....and high resolutions, many that are unsupported by iPods, will rock your world.

My suggestion, if you get one: go balanced. If you have IEMs with replaceable cables, you should be able to get a balanced 2.5" TFS cable for between $30-60. If you use cans, ie headphones, you'll need to find out if they're actually balanced (as it turns out my OPPO PM-3 planar magnetic headphones are), in which case you just need to replace the cable with a balanced one. The diff between unbalanced and balanced outputs is significant,

Hope this helps. As an alternative, the OPUS #1S is comparably priced and very, very good as well.
    John Kelman

From what I understand, balanced output is very good for balanced headphones but for plugging into a car's audio system you need the unbalanced.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Do they even make tape anymore? Or is it just re recording over the old tapes?

Quote Originally Posted by Progdreamer View Post
    Do they even make tape anymore?
    Yes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reel-t..._manufacturers

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/