Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Gryphon - ReInvention(Pre-Order)

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    I am with Richard on After The Air Raid probably being their best, but they are all very very strong albums. If you dig their sound then also check out Upsilon Acrux and Yowie, if you haven't already.
    Thanks for the suggestions, these 2 (great) bands have already been imposed to me - although this is not the case with the other names Richard refers to. I am buying Lowlands - my experience on this sub-genre (lol!) has been superficial so far - which to my ears sounds less academic or maybe less "cold" than those other names we mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Chichen Itza View Post
    I tried it again, the silly attempts at humor are rather painful, but again, the instrumental bits are pretty good

Probably better in a 70's format of 40 or so minutes trimming the yuks / cuteness
    I guess it is fair to say that if you object to silliness and whimsy you won't really enjoy the vocal tracks on the record to the full. Personally I find these qualities quite endearing, and rather fitting with the music. The sound of these fine old musicians having fun and not giving a hoot what anyone thinks about it.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    I guess it is fair to say that if you object to silliness and whimsy you won't really enjoy the vocal tracks on the record to the full. Personally I find these qualities quite endearing, and rather fitting with the music. The sound of these fine old musicians having fun and not giving a hoot what anyone thinks about it.
    I haven't hear the Gryphon yet but this is usually a difficult balance for me, if its Hatfield/Caravan type whimsy then it works well for me but its easy to fall off that high wire & just be naff.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I haven't hear the Gryphon yet but this is usually a difficult balance for me, if its Hatfield/Caravan type whimsy then it works well for me but its easy to fall off that high wire & just be naff.
    I think it is more of a Jethro Tull whimsy, but others can inform you better (not being a member of the Anglo-Saxon tradition).

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Very subjective of course, but at times we are closer to the territory of Golf Girl here than of Share It. Will be interested to see whether it falls on the right side of the line for you!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Bought
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I saw Gryphon live yesterday in Netherlands - it was their only concert outside of UK. I was surprised how many new songs they played - most of the album actually! First album was played a lot too, not so much music from the other records. What can I say - the band is just fantastic. Great performance, very nice introductions by almost all of the musicians (only the bass player didn’t say a word). Only one small disappointment - “Midnight Mushrumps” was never played...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    It's a pity Richard Harvey is not involved in this project but I'll give it a listen nevertheless.

Re. Richard, all progheads should check his 1979 solo effort "A New Way Of Seeing", a promotional record he made for ICL computers and never intended to be distributed in shops. (but still readily available on some auction sites). Not folky/medieval or Gryphon-esque but closer to (the best) Mike Oldfield, an excellent all-instrumental record. An accomplished multi-instrumentist Richard plays everything: Guitar, Bass, Banjo, Synthesizers, Piano, Organ, Accordion, Saxophone, Clarinet, Recorders, Pan Pipes, Whistles, Crumhorns, Percussions... and is only helped by two drummers. A highly recommended record.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yesman1955
    The whole 1979 LP has been uploaded to YouTube for your dining & dancing pleasure!
    Today for some reason I decided to try to find a copy or a download of Richard Harvey's 1975 solo album "Divisions on a Ground". Yes, I know it's classical music (recorder concertos) not Gryphon, but it seemed like I should have it again (sold the LP years ago) to complete my Gryphon collection, now standing at eight albums:
    • Gryphon (1973)
    • Midnight Mushrumps (1974)
    • Red Queen to Gryphon Three (1974)
    • Raindance (1975)
    • Treason (1977)
    • About As Curious As It Can Be (2002, archival live tracks)
    • Glastonbury Carol (2003, more archival live)
    • Re-Invention (2018)

While looking for "Divisions" -- that single track is still the only piece of it out there -- and the Japan-only limited edition CD goes for stupid money -- I ran across on YouTube all four tracks to the 1979 "A New Way Of Seeing." It's not remotely like early Gryphon (no Medieval instruments) but it bears more than a passing resemblance to later Gryphon ("Raindance" or "Treason"). It therefore made a welcome addition to my collection. Somehow I missed this mention last year.

But lo and behold, YouTube also provided me with the complete tracks from Richard's two albums he did for KPM library music, "Pipes, Flutes and Whistles" (1979) and "Nifty Digits" (1980), plus a half-album he shared with somebody else called "Pictures in the Mind" (1978). The first of these is solo horn and pipes, semi-classical, sorta like "Divisions." The other two are band albums, where Richard plays everything a la "New Way Of Seeing." The music is very late-Gryphon-like, even early-Gryphon-like in many places (without crumhorns). I was SHOCKED that I'd never heard of these. They're wonderful.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 08-16-2019 at 11:05 PM.