Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Magma on a full scale Attahk

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Guy Delacroix the bass player here is fantastic
    I heard Vander kicked him out cause he wasn’t obedient enough ...
    Agreed. An excellent player, sadly forgotten. Perhaps his personal qualities were an issue then (CV called him a "mercenary").

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    TBH, I kinda of stopped after Köhntarkösz and Hhaï (I still have Udu, but never owned Attakh)

Not that I dislike (far from), but let's face it, re-hashing the same old grounds (even with tiny differences) album after album...
    There are more similarities between any Genesis or Camel album, than there is between most Magma studio albums. Mekanik, kohntarkohz, 1001, udu, attahk and Merci are obviously magma but very different from each other in my ears. The later, like KA and Emehntehtt-re or Felicite has similarities in sound (the recording and musicians), but not in mood.

But its ok you are saturated or dont like them

Guy Delacroix is more direct like a rock bassplayer than Topp, Paga or Moze.
    yes, its a pity he didn't last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    But its ok you are saturated or dont like them
    Saturated
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

One of their best. It would have been better if Blasquiz sung more on it. Vander does too much of the vocals.

Guy Delacroix is more direct like a rock bassplayer than Topp, Paga or Moze.
    yes, its a pity he didn't last longer.
    He also played some tasty bass on François Bréant Sons Optiques

"Dondai" is one of the best Magma tracks ever!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    "Dondai" is one of the best Magma tracks ever!
    Highly underrated piece
    I have no idea why none of these became a part of their live set lists like Hai

Dondai is like a screwdriver that uncorks my heart.

Does anyone else hear anything exceptional with the drum sound? The bass-drum is so on the forefront, distinct and even louder than the snare, adding volume to the rhythm frenzy that permeates the album. I believe it is a quiet unusual sonic configuration.
    Last edited by Zappathustra; 08-15-2018 at 09:12 AM.

He has a rather small bass-drum, and its usually tuned and has a tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Highly underrated piece
    I have no idea why none of these became a part of their live set lists like Hai
    Well, they sort of were, in the form of Retrovision.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Well, they sort of were, in the form of Retrovision.
    I gotta ask, I always see people saying Retrovision contains bits and themes from Attahk, but I don't hear any musical themes from Attahk in there, it seems like a new composition to me. What bits in there are from Attahk?
    A vie, a mort, et apres...

Somewhere I have a boot or two from this period with a few tracks from Attahk.
    I guess this incarnation of the band didn't last so long...

Retrospective 3 is something else and 3 years later, I don't recall any Attahk themes either. - https://www.discogs.com/Magma-Retros...elease/2907882

If my recollection stil is in shape, Magma have played some of the tracks in later incarnations in the zeroes.

"The last seven minutes", "Spiritual", "Dondaï" and "Nono" were played live in 1978-79.
    There are no known live recordings from this period of the remaining Attahk tracks.
    The correct title for "Retrovision" was always "Attahk", but it does not include any musical material from the synonymous album (it does of course contain a quote from "De Futura").

Quote Originally Posted by jazz2896 View Post
    I gotta ask, I always see people saying Retrovision contains bits and themes from Attahk, but I don't hear any musical themes from Attahk in there, it seems like a new composition to me. What bits in there are from Attahk?
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    The correct title for "Retrovision" was always "Attahk", but it does not include any musical material from the synonymous album (it does of course contain a quote from "De Futura").
    There's bits of Dondai and Maahnt in Retrovision. The Maahnt fragment is during the second part of the piece, the section that "sounds like the old Magma". The Dondai fragment occurs in the section, on Retrospektïẁ (Part III), just before Maria Popkiewicz launches into her Janis Joplin impression. If you listen carefully, you can pick out the bits I'm talking about.

Where does De Futura come into it? I've never noticed that.

For what it's worth, there's a few motifs that recur throughout the Magma music. For instance, there's a bit that occurs at the end of Köhntarkösz part one, the little melodic thing that precedes the piano arpeggios that start of side two, which also appears in Theusz Hamtaahk.

Well, FWIW, DE Futura is a Top composition, so may not be part of the storyline.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Ah I hear it now. Dondai's a little more rocked up while Maahnt's a little more subtle. The Maahnt melody is there but the backing is a bit different, and then switches to the De Futura "speed up riff." But yeah, like GuitarGeek said, there's a lot of recurring motifs in Magma's music, so saying that they're playing Maahnt and Dondai in Retrovision is a bit of a stretch, since the backing music is pretty different.

there's a lot of recurring motifs in Magma's music
    Like the theme from "Köhntarkösz" in the piano part of "Udü Wüdü" (which suggests that it might originally have been part of E-Rê).
    Last edited by unclemeat; 08-16-2018 at 02:59 PM.

Like the theme from "Köhntarkösz" in the piano part of "Udü Wüdü" (which suggests that it might originally have been part of E-Rê).
    I never noticed this; would you please be more specific about timing?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I knew there were repeating themes but man, most of the ones mentioned here I've never picked up on. Truly educational.
    Do we all know the melody of the transition bit after Om Zanka in KAIII is a quote of one of the vocal melodies in the first highly repetitive section of Theusz Hamtaahk? Or am I stating the obvious.

Do we all know the melody of the transition bit after Om Zanka in KAIII is a quote of one of the vocal melodies in the first highly repetitive section of Theusz Hamtaahk? Or am I stating the obvious.
    I'll have to listen for that next time I have that on. A lot of this stuff I didn't notice on first listen. As I recall, someone brought it up back in the RMP days. WHen I asked for some clarification, he mentioned a few different things, but I think I forgot them before really listening. But as I said, I eventually noticed a couple bits that are shared by Köhntarkösz and Theusz Hamtaahk.
    so saying that they're playing Maahnt and Dondai in Retrovision is a bit of a stretch, since the backing music is pretty different.
    Well, in the case of the Dondai bit, it sounds like they're singing the words, so I'd say they're definitely "playing Dondai". Maahnt, you may have a point, but I intend to do more "criticial listening" with Retrovision, as I'm not convinced those are the only allusions in that piece.

I don't hear it. I just listened to Udü Wüdü, focusing on the piano part, and I don't hear anything that sounds like Köhntarkösz.

On the Retrospektïẁ (Part III) version of Retrovision, the Dondaï allusion comes (phrasing!) at about 4:30-6:05.

I think at 4:00-4:30 and 6:05-7:00, they seem to be quoting the piano/vocal from from the coda of The Last Seven Minutes (with a couple other bits inserted as well).

I think I'm also hearing a bit of Nono in the first vocal section of Retrovision. Compare the instrumental theme that occurs a couple times in Nono (also sung by Vander) to sort of chorus bit in Retrovision (first heard at 2:12). I feel like I'm grasping at straws on that one, though.

I think there's two Maahnt allusions, the first being the electric piano part during the spoken word intro. The second is about 11:30.

BTW, in the original cut of Return Of The Jedi, the Ewok celebration music during the sort of epilogue section of the movie, I swear bears a slight resemblance to the chorus bit in Retrovision. Apparently, John Williams is notorious for lifting stuff, wholesale, from other people's work, maybe this also happened here? At any rate, when Lucas started tampering with the original Star Wars trilogy, one of the things he did was replace that music, but I think at some point I found a video on Youtube that had the music I was thinking of (I'm too tired to go looking for it right now).

Retrospective 3 is something else and 3 years later, I don't recall any Attahk themes either. - https://www.discogs.com/Magma-Retros...elease/2907882
    If I'm not mistaken, they were playing Retrovision for a couple years before Retrospektïẁ III. I believe there's an archival release with a version from 1978 that came out a few years back, and there's video footage of them playing the last section when Klaus Blasquiz was still in the band. So it's not like it was a new piece at the time Retrospektïẁ III came out.

re- "Udü Wüdü"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I never noticed this; would you please be more specific about timing?
    During the fade out. There's a permutation (A B C# E D#) of the "Köhntarkösz" main motif (E D# B C# A). Although it's not, as I thought, a verbatim quote (there goes My Theory).