Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offering (Christian Vander)

Offering (Christian Vander)

There doesn't seem to be an official thread on Offering here yet, so here we go. I have heard a track or two about 5-6 years ago, and that's the extent of it, but would appreciate any suggestions, insight, recommendations, etc. I would assume that the compositions are special (at their best) since CV is such a brilliant composer. I would also assume that folks who can't get enough of Magma or have mined all/most of their treasures would go here at some point. I'm ready to dive in - give me a push.

Merci
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Whatever Vander might say about all his projects being some sort of continuum, it's really a different vibe and music (IMHO). To be honest, I've never had too much time for it, although on occcasion they have produced some beautiful choral-based music. I would suggest "A Fiieh" as a good starting point. Some of the music on that could definitely appeal to you if you're a fan of "Félicité Thösz".
    Last edited by calyx; 08-07-2018 at 11:55 AM.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Del..
    Last edited by Mekanik Zain; 08-14-2018 at 05:25 PM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I saw them at RIO one year and to be honest it did very little for me, it lacked the energy and drive of Magma and seemed primarily a vehicle for Christian to get out from behind the drumkit and sing.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Not terrible or anything, but not really a fan.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

For me Offering represent different direction comparing to Magma - more relaxing and dreamy music with strong vocal jazz flavour....

I never got really carried away...
    But I like this track

Thanks for responses guys. Different opinions on this music for sure. I'll check out those clips to start. And yes Aymeric, I am a huge fan of "Felicite" so I'm sure there will be stuff that I will dig.

I dig some of it, the shorter pieces of theirs get more listens from me, I feel like the longer pieces tend to drag on a bit much. However, if you do give their work a listen, there's a lot of melodic references to Magma, Ehn Deiss contains a melody from the known versions of Zess (of which I'm guessing due to the group playing Ehn Deiss live as of recent, it will probably be incorporated into the Zess album), Hymne Kobaien is a melody from Fur Dihhel Kobaia on Wurdah Itah, and I'm sure there's more. It's definitely related to Magma, but it doesn't have the drive and urgency from the parent band. A Magma listening mood is not an Offering listening mood.
    A vie, a mort, et apres...

Please allow me to chime in as well...

A little over a year ago I got the Offering box set, and I think it's great. Different for sure, but there are some pieces that I like even more than Magma actually ("Another Day" and "A Fiieh" are showstoppers). There's a lot of focus on piano and vocals, but the instrumentation still varies quite a bit across the compositions -- enough to keep things interesting. Félicité Thösz is similar to Offering in a lot of ways, which may be why I'm so fond of that one too.

Frank, I think you would like it, based on what I know of your taste. If you're a fan of CV's compositions, there's plenty to enjoy here IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jazz2896 View Post
    [...] A Magma listening mood is not an Offering listening mood.
    I think this is a great way of putting it.

Quote Originally Posted by jazz2896 View Post
    A Magma listening mood is not an Offering listening mood.
    Although Magma did perform "Another Day" in 1982-83.

Yeah, we can also discuss Vander' jazz projects, such as Christian Vander Trio or Christian Vander Quartet...Totally different listening mood....
    This is not my cup of tea though....

Not a fan of Offering, but there is a Christian Vander project called "les cygnes et les corbeaux" - a lovely piece of music, and it is what I imagined (and hoped) Offering would sound like if it was any good

Del...
    Last edited by Mekanik Zain; 08-14-2018 at 05:25 PM.

Ouch.

One of the most beautiful songs you'll ever hear.

I like the first one, I-II the best. Like others said, more laid back and oriented on jazzy vocals and piano. These are a couple pieces I like, the first one more atmospheric, the 2nd one more Magma-ish

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    I like the first one, I-II the best. Like others said, more laid back and oriented on jazzy vocals and piano. These are a couple pieces I like, the first one more atmospheric, the 2nd one more Magma-ish

Ok, I got to admit, long time since I heard this and this sounds very good, perhaps I was too harsh in my previous post
    I am still not a huge fan of scatting, hence my not really liking most of Offering offerings.

Shit, I'm diggin all of this stuff that's been posted! I'm probably going to be a fan...I'm easy to please I guess.

I will explore further.

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    One of the most beautiful songs you'll ever hear.

Man, I love this track. The piano during the middle section... goosebumps, every time.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Man, I love this track. The piano during the middle section... goosebumps, every time.
    Ok, this kicks Kobaian ass. This really is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Ok, this kicks Kobaian ass. This really is beautiful.
    So glad you're liking this stuff, man. I had a feeling you might.

IMO, the Magma Presente Offering box set was worth every penny.

Nice thread - good music.