Thread: A great Progressive CD you probably missed

A great Progressive CD you probably missed

Progressive Ears continues to be a great way for me to hear about fine Progressive CDs that I probably would miss completely. Recently I was looking over the Brazilian Progressive Music thread and took a chance on purchasing the 2004 (released in 2009) "Panorama" CD by Mahtrak. Our very own pmrviana plays keyboards on the disc.

OMG. What a great disc! Their drummer is superb. It is very well-recorded as well (especially those drum tracks). It is all instrumental and the first few tracks feel a bit more Fusion-y to me but most of the other tracks are quite progressive in feel. I sense a bit of Mahavishnu, a bit of Camel, and a bit of Genesis. But despite the hint of influences, it very much stands on its own as a unique work.

I highly recommend it! I have no relationship with the band other than PM-ing Paulo to find out how he achieved the great synth/organ/mellotron sounds.
    Here are a few tracks to whet your appetite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjA7_KLLvEw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp0gh2RkuMQ

as someone who really digs the Fusion side of progressive Rock music just as much as the Symph side, this is one I'll definitely check out!

thanx!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    This sounds really nice. I like the keyboards. Very sophisticated. Yes, the drumming is impressive.

I've had this albums since it came out. Enjoyable disc. Not earth shattering to my ears, but certainly a worthy one I enjoy spinning from time to time. Definitely deserves some attention. Sorry these guys never did a follow-up, they had potential.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I've had this albums since it came out. Enjoyable disc. Not earth shattering to my ears, but certainly a worthy one I enjoy spinning from time to time. Definitely deserves some attention. Sorry these guys never did a follow-up, they had potential.

Bill
    Bill:
    How did you hear about it?
    Was it getting any airplay anyplace?

General:
    Thanks for the replies. I always like to share when I stumble across a “new” to me band. I especially appreciate those bands that never hit big...they do it for the love of the music.

Rather good stuff.

Banned
    Nicely recorded, fine musicianship and new to me. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    I especially appreciate those bands that never hit big...they do it for the love of the music.
    That's seems to apply to most music I listen to. 😉

Bill:
    How did you hear about it?
    More than likely I noticed it on one of the Wayside, Laser's Edge, or Synphonic email updates, read the description, sampled, and decided to buy it. Otherwise, someone here mentioned it and I went from there. I can't imagine where it would have gotten airplay. I suppose an internet radio station could have played bits of it, but I've never listened to much of that, so I can't say. The vendor updates and PE are where I hear about almost all the new music I buy.

IIRC, this album made a tiny splash in 2009 here when it was released and got a few mentions in people's "best of" lists for that year. But that was almost 10 years ago, so memory is foggy. I also communicated with the band and got some unreleased material at one point. Most of it was live versions of stuff on the album, but there may have been a couple of unreleased studio tracks. I'm not sure what I did with those, have to try and track them down.

Bill

Thanks to all of you for your nice comments!

Sorry these guys never did a follow-up, they had potential.
    There was always the idea to do a follow up, and we even had a few new compositions intended for the second album, but it got really hard to keep the band going with all the different commitments from each band member. At least we did get to play a few of those live, but there are not any recordings of them, apart from a few rehearsal takes.

On the other hand, I'm now about to finish the mixing of my new album. Not really a follow up to Mahtrak, as it's really a solo effort, but it's the closest thing you will get for now...
    Perspective Vortex - my new solo project available now at http://perspectivevortex.bandcamp.com
    Mahtrak Progressive Jazz Rock - www.mahtrak.com

I did (and still do actually, from time to time) get some requests from internet radio shows to play our music. One that you may know is Gagliarchives (which as I understand is not only an internet show, but it actually used to get aired on "real" FM radio). So that's likely to be all the "real" airplay we ever got...
    Perspective Vortex - my new solo project available now at http://perspectivevortex.bandcamp.com

More than likely I noticed it on one of the Wayside, Laser's Edge, or Synphonic email updates, read the description, sampled, and decided to buy it. Otherwise, someone here mentioned it and I went from there. I can't imagine where it would have gotten airplay. I suppose an internet radio station could have played bits of it, but I've never listened to much of that, so I can't say. The vendor updates and PE are where I hear about almost all the new music I buy.

IIRC, this album made a tiny splash in 2009 here when it was released and got a few mentions in people's "best of" lists for that year. But that was almost 10 years ago, so memory is foggy. I also communicated with the band and got some unreleased material at one point. Most of it was live versions of stuff on the album, but there may have been a couple of unreleased studio tracks. I'm not sure what I did with those, have to try and track them down.

Bill
    Thanks so much, Bill. I know from your posts that you take new music seriously.

Discovering new stuff like this is very rewarding to me.

Quote Originally Posted by pmrviana View Post
    Thanks to all of you for your nice comments!

There was always the idea to do a follow up, and we even had a few new compositions intended for the second album, but it got really hard to keep the band going with all the different commitments from each band member. At least we did get to play a few of those live, but there are not any recordings of them, apart from a few rehearsal takes.

On the other hand, I'm now about to finish the mixing of my new album. Not really a follow up to Mahtrak, as it's really a solo effort, but it's the closest thing you will get for now...
    Thanks for chiming in Paulo!
    When your solo album is ready please let us know.
    Are you using different gear or software synths than what you used for Panorama?

Thanks for chiming in Paulo!
    When your solo album is ready please let us know.
    Sure, will do!

Are you using different gear or software synths than what you used for Panorama?
    Yes, the Mahtrak album was recorded almost 15 year ago, so I have updated my setup since then. I'm mostly using software plugins nowadays, but still use basically the same sounds as on the Mahtrak album (organ, synth, mellotron, piano).

Sure, will do!

Yes, the Mahtrak album was recorded almost 15 year ago, so I have updated my setup since then. I'm mostly using software plugins nowadays, but still use basically the same sounds as on the Mahtrak album (organ, synth, mellotron, piano).
    Thank you, Paulo!

The various keyboard voices on the CD are killer so I understand you sticking with what works.

For the few of you who enjoyed the Mahtrak CD, you might want to know I have just released a new album. More details at:

https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...820#post910820

For the few of you who enjoyed the Mahtrak CD, you might want to know I have just released a new album. More details at:

https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...820#post910820
    Hola Paulo!.
    Thankx for the H.U.!.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    This sounds really nice. I like the keyboards. Very sophisticated. Yes, the drumming is impressive.
    +1.

Cheers;
    Tomás.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Crap! I thought this was going to be about my CD, but then I saw the words "Great" and "Progressive".. and came to my senses. I will definitely have to check this out.

Bill
    I've had them for awhile also, just haven't listened to them recently.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Crap! I thought this was going to be about my CD, but then I saw the words "Great" and "Progressive".. and came to my senses. I will definitely have to check this out.

Come on, I've heard your music, and you're certainly no slouch!

I hope my copy arrives soon! I really look forward to hearing it.
    The artwork looks very cool too. I love the humorous concept.

I hope my copy arrives soon! I really look forward to hearing it.
    The artwork looks very cool too. I love the humorous concept.
    Yours should arrive by end of next week.

You have to be patient, mail from Brazil to US is probably being delivered by mules. Here's what I got when I typed your tracking number:

Yours should arrive by end of next week.

You have to be patient, mail from Brazil to US is probably being delivered by mules. Here's what I got when I typed your tracking number:

We actually have a similar postal service. When the Brazilian Postal Service hands off to the US, all the mail goes to the bottom of the Grand Canyon like this for processing. The mail eventually gets put into individual pneumatic tubes to be sent to each local Post Office.

Una Stagione All'Inferno- il Mostro Di Firenze