Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 80s Prog that wasn't Neo

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    4 Guitarists Of The Apocalypse Bar: Quebecois group who made two late 80's albums. Imagine four guitarists (plus a rhythm section) playing Henry Cow or Samla style compositions, that's what you get here.

I heard them first on The Weather Channel (of all places) and was absolutley in love with it. It wasn't until last year I actually found the album in France. It was a fun listen, but I guess in the interim I had built them up so much in my mind that the production left me underwhelmed.

Dammit! How did I forget about Djam Karet?! Reflections From The Firepool and The Ritual Continues are both great albums!

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Originally Posted by progmatist
    Then there's Japanese prog. Even to this day, Japan is a decade behind the west pop culturally. In the 80's when the symphonic movement was over, in Japan it was in full swing.
    I think a lot of that stuff could be considered neo though. Don't forget neo took a lot of inspiration from the seventies symph bands.
    Yeah, I'm not aware of every 80's Japanese prog bands, but the ones I know of are all what I'd call neo-prog (yeah, even Kenso)... the only notable exception was the Crimson-inspired Bi Kyo Ran.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Dammit! How did I forget about Djam Karet?! Reflections From The Firepool and The Ritual Continues are both great albums!
    MMmhhh!!!... just checked... Had no idea their were 80's band... I thought Hard City was their debut... what did those early albums sound like?? not too "80's technology", hopefully??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Hm.

Most "prog" during the 80s had absolutely nothing to do with "neo".
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    or aor-ish such as Marillion, Saga, Asia, GTR, etc.
    Marillion was AOR-ish? Same vein as Saga, Asia, GTR?

Wow. I gotta buy one of those earwax cleaning kits, because I'm really missing something.

Rupert Hine - Waving, Not Drowning, Immunity

Hugo Largo - Drum

Startled Insects Curse of the Pheromones
    Never play slap bass around bears, you'll make them VERY angry.

The Fents were another top notch band who started in the 80s. They had 2 albums IIRC

and didn't Tribal Tech start in the 80s???
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    MMmhhh!!!... just checked... Had no idea their were 80's band... I thought Hard City was their debut... what did those early albums sound like?? not too "80's technology", hopefully??
    no 80s sound to these ears... Ritual and Firepool are both great. I think I prefer Ritual by a little
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Marillion was AOR-ish? Same vein as Saga, Asia, GTR?

Wow. I gotta buy one of those earwax cleaning kits, because I'm really missing something.

No not really. You are taking my sentence out of context. Go back and re-read it. I mentioned neo prog in the same sentence.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Yeah, I'm not aware of every 80's Japanese prog bands, but the ones I know of are all what I'd call neo-prog (yeah, even Kenso)... the only notable exception was the Crimson-inspired Bi Kyo Ran.
    I wouldn't call Kenso neo at all. They were a symphonic prog fusion band. While there were similarities to bands like Bruford and what Holdsworth was doing, it wasn't 'neo' in the sense that most people use that term. I think of "neo" as a fairly limited label that applied to specific symphonic prog bands of the 80s that mined the Yes/Genesis territory, ala Marillion, Pallas, IQ etc.
    Last edited by ProgGreaser; 02-22-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Acoustic drums, and two electric guitars most of the time. There's some synths, but mostly they're playing background stuff, pads and the like. Certainly no DX-7 "electric piano" or "slap bass" patches. The one thing you might take issue with is the occasional use of a pitch transposer on the guitar, giving them that Owner Of A Lonely Heart kind of guitar tone, but as I said, they only used that occasionally.

Basically, if you like Burning The Hard City, you should like the first two albums.

I got into them after reading a review in Relix magazine. Yeah, that's right, I got turned onto them by a Grateful Dead fan magazine. I said the "instrument heads" press photo, and read the description in the review and said "THIS might be interesting. Then a copy of Reflections From The Firepool turned up at a local used record store, and that dragged me down the rabbit hole. That was all around 89-90.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    The Fents were another top notch band who started in the 80s. They had 2 albums IIRC

and didn't Tribal Tech start in the 80s???

Oh man, serious flashbacks there!

I used to see the Fents live every so often when I lived in L.A. in the 80's. Fusion definitely in a Bruford-esque vein at first but got funkier as time went on. Their guitarist Ted Hall (sadly now deceased),was unbelievable, kind of like what would happen if Holdsworth and Robben Ford occupied the same body. Keyboardist Adam Holzman in the years since played with Miles Davis, Chaka Khan and others, and I think is now touring with Steven Wilson's band.

Yeah, Tribal Tech started back in the 80's too. I actually met Scott once, pre-Tribal Tech, of all things doing a Real Book gig in some small lounge one Sunday afternoon, a couple years before he played with Chick Corea's Electrik (cheez-wiz) Band. A few years later, I wound up playing in an original art-riock band and the drummer had played in an early version of Tribal Tech.
    Never play slap bass around bears, you'll make them VERY angry.

Quote Originally Posted by ProgGreaser View Post
    I wouldn't call Kenso neo at all. They were a symphonic prog fusion band. While there were similarities to bands like Bruford and what Holdsworth was doing, it wasn't 'neo' in the sense that most people use that term. I think of "neo" as a fairly limited label that applied to specific symphonic prog bands of the 80s that mined the Yes/Genesis territory, ala Marillion, Pallas, IQ etc.
    I agree with you, Kenso were nowhere near neo-prog. I wouldn’t call any of those symphonic prog bands on the Made in Japan label “neo-prog” either. Well, maybe Ataraxia, but they were arguably the worst band on that label and only released one album.

And did I hear someone describing Minimum Vital as “neo-prog”? In what way? Little of that early Musea stuff strikes me as “neo-prog,” it was a different animal, not really comparable to the legions of Marillion clones out there. Certainly Tiemko wasn’t neo. You might be able to make a case for Edhels, but I really wouldn’t throw them on the neo pile, either.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel Garcia Marquez

N.P.:nothing