Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hahken - Vector, 26 October 2018

Not just a Genesis fanboy.

How did I manage that typo? Hope the mods can change it.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    How did I manage that typo? Hope the mods can change it.
    LOL! Now you've really confused everybody on how to pronounce their name. Also - do these guys ever sleep? Wow, wasn't expecting a new record so soon.

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    LOL! Now you've really confused everybody on how to pronounce their name. Also - do these guys ever sleep? Wow, wasn't expecting a new record so soon.
    Yeah me neither, it looks like they've been constantly touring since Affinity was released.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    I used to pronounce it that way("HAH-KEN, then on CTTE I found out people were pronouncing it "HAY-KIN."

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I used to pronounce it that way("HAH-KEN, then on CTTE I found out people were pronouncing it "HAY-KIN."
    That's the "official" pronounciation according to the band. They say it rhymes with "taken".

Unfortunately (for me) they are taking a heavier direction with the new album. I'm being tired of this heavy prog stuff, already their last was "too much" for me. These guys are playing terrific and are very talented, but the direction they're taking is not to my liking...

Quote Originally Posted by ombasan View Post
    Unfortunately (for me) they are taking a heavier direction with the new album. I'm being tired of this heavy prog stuff, already their last was "too much" for me. These guys are playing terrific and are very talented, but the direction they're taking is not to my liking...
    I tend to agree and will approach the new one with caution because of the heavier direction. I'm definitely a prog fan more than a metal fan although I can enjoy some heavy prog. I came onboard with The Mountain because I loved the nods to jazz and vintage prog than Haken threw in their metal. Although Affinity was heavier, and I missed the jazzy bits, there was still enough prog and melody for me to stay onboard. We'll see how much heavier the new one is...

Mike Portnoy has already declared this the Album Of The Year.
    So there's that.

I hope they don't go all metal. There are enough of those kind of bands out there already...
    The Prog Corner

That's the "official" pronounciation according to the band. They say it rhymes with "taken".
    I always said rhymes with "bacon".

I tend to agree and will approach the new one with caution because of the heavier direction. I'm definitely a prog fan more than a metal fan although I can enjoy some heavy prog. I came onboard with The Mountain because I loved the nods to jazz and vintage prog than Haken threw in their metal. Although Affinity was heavier, and I missed the jazzy bits, there was still enough prog and melody for me to stay onboard. We'll see how much heavier the new one is...
    Same story here. I'm usually turned off by metal. I mean, I like heavy stuff, but to me a band like, say, Dream Theater has too much of that typical metal guitar riffage. Haken somehow does it in just the right dosage.

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Really enjoying the live CD/DVD set

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    Or, as they, themselves, like to put it: rhymes with Kevin Bacon.

neil

Anyone got this one yet? Thoughts?

Seems to me like another solid release with some great material. I have a hard time with this band picking albums that stand out as being better or worse than the others. They all seem really well put together and there's not much that I feel is weak on any of their albums. My impression of Vector so far is that it's no exception, but time will tell.

Need to get the live one....
    <sig out of order>

I have it and have spun it once, so am a little reluctant to comment too much, just yet. The Mountain is a near classic, loaded with killer tunes and great melodies, and is tough to top. For me, at least, that one does stand out.

neil

I am completely loving Vector. It is tough to rank new vs old and hard to compete with nostalgia as well, but this is definitely up there.

That's the "official" pronounciation according to the band. They say it rhymes with "bacon".
    Fify

Edit: D'oh. Didn't read the entire thread.
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 11-11-2018 at 06:37 AM.

I ordered the vinyl, so I don't have it yet, but I have listened a couple of times on Spotify. I was a little worried about them hitting a slump, or maybe going too heavy or something, but one listen and I was smiling. All of their albums manage to have their own identity, and this one is no exception.

just watched these dudes live. I have to say that was farking groundbreaking stuff. Nil By Mouth climax threw me on my knees...

Quote Originally Posted by sergio View Post
    just watched these dudes live. I have to say that was farking groundbreaking stuff. Nil By Mouth climax threw me on my knees...
    I can't get enough of that tune! It's my favorite on Vector.
    <sig out of order>

As a huge fan of the Mountain (virtually a masterpiece of prog metal), and liking Affinity quite a bit, am I the only one struggling with their latest, Vector? It just doesn't seem to have any melodies, or truly memorable tunes, but instead is loaded with a bunch of 'chuga-chuga' metal playing that has no identity. I so want to like this album, but after a couple of spins, I'm having trouble even wanting to listen to it again. It seems more like a lower-level Dream Theater offering this time out. I don't expect them to make the same album every time, but this just seems so far from everything I liked about The Mountain. Maybe I just need to spend more time with it, I don't know.

For those that are liking, what do you like about it, and how are you making a connection to it?

neil

dude, keep it spinning. It'll click... Puzzle Box and Veil are loaded with melodies. Once I get all tracks stuffed into my neurons, I'll start using instrumental only CD for sing along in my truck. I remember playing Karnivool- Asymmetry a dozen + times before all bits of that puzzle clicked into places. Never give up! What Dream Theater?

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    As a huge fan of the Mountain (virtually a masterpiece of prog metal), and liking Affinity quite a bit, am I the only one struggling with their latest, Vector? It just doesn't seem to have any melodies, or truly memorable tunes, but instead is loaded with a bunch of 'chuga-chuga' metal playing that has no identity. I so want to like this album, but after a couple of spins, I'm having trouble even wanting to listen to it again. It seems more like a lower-level Dream Theater offering this time out. I don't expect them to make the same album every time, but this just seems so far from everything I liked about The Mountain. Maybe I just need to spend more time with it, I don't know.

For those that are liking, what do you like about it, and how are you making a connection to it?

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post

neil
    I'm totally with you on all counts. I think it has to do with me being mostly a prog fan rather than a metal fan. Vector is too heavy and technical for my taste with not enough non metal sections to compensate, unlike The Mountain or Affinity.

Personally I'm not a fan of Dream Theater at all and even removed most of their albums from my iTunes library and gave the discs to my son. I don't really listen to much music in this vein, but I make an exception for Haken. I think I listen to their stuff from a somewhat different perspective than some would. In a way I think it goes back to my love of Rush and a fascination with the interplay of guitar, bass, and drums (and also being a musician myself probably is a factor in how I listen). I don't need vocals or even a melody. I am happy to focus on the intricacies of the shifting time signatures in the less-than-melodic sections. I don't necessarily come away from listening to this album humming melodies I just heard, but that could be because I focus on the rhythm section. <shrug>
    <sig out of order>

^^Well, I'm a bass player, and focus on that stuff too, but it hasn't helped thus far. I'll give it another go, and see if I like it more.

neil