Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hahken - Vector, 26 October 2018

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    ^^Well, I'm a bass player, and focus on that stuff too, but it hasn't helped thus far. I'll give it another go, and see if I like it more.

neil
    The bass often has trouble standing out and finding its space in metal, especially in bands that use 7 string guitars to play really low riffs. Not the best instrument to focus on when listening to that kind of music IMO.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

^^ that is exactly also my "problem" with Haken. Although technically very impressive, I just get hammered down by their sound. The Mountain was very good, Affinity had its moments... Vector, not so much IMO. Too predictable, somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    The bass often has trouble standing out and finding its space in metal, especially in bands that use 7 string guitars to play really low riffs. Not the best instrument to focus on when listening to that kind of music IMO.
    Well, I just meant that I'm a musician, so I can listen to it from that perspective. Not necessarily always focusing on the bass. And there are parts, at least on previous Haken albums and especially with Conner Greens 6-string, where the bass was quite noticeable.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Well, I just meant that I'm a musician, so I can listen to it from that perspective. Not necessarily always focusing on the bass. And there are parts, at least on previous Haken albums and especially with Conner Greens 6-string, where the bass was quite noticeable.

neil
    I really don't listen to Haken for the bass playing per se, even though some of it is (I'm sure) technically demanding or whatever.
    <sig out of order>

... McLean's bass was more pronounced, with more fret buzz in it. They should all employ Jon Stockman (Karnivool) tone ASAP !

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I really don't listen to Haken for the bass playing per se, even though some of it is (I'm sure) technically demanding or whatever.

Just remember that Hahken is pronounced like bahken, as in bahken & eggs.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by sergio View Post
    ... McLean's bass was more pronounced, with more fret buzz in it. They should all employ Jon Stockman (Karnivool) tone ASAP !
    I'll have to check out some Karnivool now....

Edit: very different sound from Haken. Much less dense and more open, leaving room for the bass to be heard. Also, it seems like most of the time the bass isn't just doubling the guitars.
    Last edited by Plasmatopia; 06-17-2019 at 11:22 AM.
    <sig out of order>

... Stockman is also using some very specific boxes to shape his tone... awesome results. And how unusual the drumming is, eh! That dude is hitting his stuff as if for the last time. Still cant figure out time signatures on a lot of their tracks, and that is after many years of listening!
    Their album output per year is a close match to Tool

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I'll have to check out some Karnivool now....

Edit: very different sound from Haken. Much less dense and more open, leaving room for the bass to be heard. Also, it seems like most of the time the bass isn't just doubling the guitars.