Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Afrobeat Enthusiasts!

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar

Afrobeat Enthusiasts!

I've been hip to Fela Kuti for a long time, but have not pursued the genre beyond him. (In fact I still feel like I am processing some of his tracks, a pretty deep well of inspiration and revelation, those.) However, since my mucking about on Bandcamp, I discovered the Analog Africa label. Wow.

I ordered the African Scream Contest anthologies, that mainly consists of 7" singles from Togo and Benin in the '70s.

Check it out:

And volume two (dig the opening guitar):

Groovy!
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I have this 2 cd gem.It might be up your alley.

https://analogafrica.bandcamp.com/al...adja-afro-beat

Last edited by walt; 08-02-2018 at 03:40 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

these guys are from Nigeria, but their first album is their best (the second is still worthy)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Does this fit?

Africa is a continent full of music, one could spend a lifetime exploring its possibilities and never come close to hearing everything. Here are a few of my favorites:

These are really good! Thanks for pitching in.

Unlike a lot of what is produced as dance music, I can listen to this stuff again and again. World-class groove that doesn't spare the musicianship or composition.

I remember reading about King Sunny Ade in the February 1984 issue of Guitar Player (the one with Angus Young on the cover, also had a short piece about This Is Spinal Tap in it). There's this picture of this cool looking guy playing a sunburst, rosewood neck Telecaster, then another with him onstage with his full band, which included about 5 backup singers and as many each of guitarists and percussionists, and a pedal steel player! The article told of Ade and his band playing shows in Nigeria where they'd go on at around 10:00pm, and would only stop playing when the audience stopped dancing, which would be around dawn! I thought, "I might have to look for this guy's records!"

(side note: that article was written by avant garde guitar god Henry Kaiser...I just received a couple days ago a huge order of Kaiser albums from Wayside Music, and I'm listening to one of those albums right now)

But his albums have always been hard to find in my corner of the universe, except for the three that Island Records (who, at the time were trying to make Ade into the next "The Next Bob Marley", after Marley's death) put out. I did eventually find and acquire both Synchro System and Aura. I don't know why but I never did buy Juju Music.

The records he released in Nigeria feature long tracks, with either one track taking up an entire LP side, or the individual tracks seguing together to form a long suite. You hear that too on Synchro System, but the other two records that Island put out, I think they were trying to squeeze "radio friendly" music out of him, as I said, they wanted to make him into a "Third World Rock Star" the way they had done with Bob Marley. On Aura, there's one track where they had Stevie Wonder overdub a harmonica solo (which I'm somehow suspect Ade himself had little or nothing to do with).

Eventually, I did find a couple compilations that came out in the 90's, and about 7 or 8 years ago, I found a website that had a bunch of his albums up as downloads, probably illegally, but it's practically the only place I've ever seen any of his proper Nigerian albums available for listening. Supposedly, there's some kind of legal quagmire that's kept a lot of those records from being reissued on CD, which is unfortunate.

Anyway, if you can find it, get Synchro System, that's a great album. Also, check out the Robert Altman movie O.C. And Stiggs. It was a picture he made in the mid 80's, kind of a dumb (but fun) comedy, that includes a scene that takes place at a King Sunny Ade concert. Also, if I remember correctly, there's an Ade performance from the West German TV show Rockpalast on Youtube, from circa 84 or 85, I think.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I like the first two things you posted, notallwhowander! Very cool music. Makes me wish I had a pool to sit out by and chill. Might have to just do it in my back yard this weekend. Our back yard kind of sucks. Needs some TLC.

I remember an old thread on here about early Reggae, I need to check more of that stuff and this out, it's enjoyable good time music.

Love King Sunny Ade - I guess that's what set me off on a course to discover more African 'pop' music. For me the most amazing music is from Ethiopia. The - I think - French series of re-releases entitled Ethiopiques are absolutely fantastic. I must have about 25 of them by now. Ethiopian music mostly uses a common mode which can be heard in the folk, pop and jazz titles in the series. Dive in - it will make you feel really great.

From Ethiopia

Hailu Mergia,from Ethiopia now living in USA.This was recorded in Addis Ababa.

Johnny Clegg-Cruel Crazy Beautiful World

If this thread is morphing into Ethiopian Jazz, we should include Mulatu Astatke and all his adherents. Here's a good sampler.
    Or you can listen into my show via streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind. com.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

But returning to Afrobeat, one must pay all honor to Fela and his two offspring: Femi Kuti and Sean Kuti.

When those horns come in, I am always taken off my feet.
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Sorry for 'hijacking' the thread - should we do a separate Ethiopian music thread?

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Sorry for 'hijacking' the thread - should we do a separate Ethiopian music thread?
    No. Africa is vast enough that you could never even DEFINE all of the sub-genres going on there. Better to maintain the 10,000 foot view and keep the variety flowing.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower
    Johnny Clegg-Cruel Crazy Beautiful World
    Much as I love Johnny (and I do) his music represents a Westernized version of African roots. Since exploring Clegg's entire output I find myself now drawn to undiluted examples of home grown talent.

In the US, a Brooklyn collective called Antibalas do some hard hitting Afrobeat.

An Chicago has Alma Afrobeat Ensemble to thank.

Good thread! Afrobeat is a genre I've meant to get into for quite some time. Had a former coworker who was into Fela Kuti, and Ethiopian jazz as well, and he shared some stuff with me that was really good. I just never got around to exploring further.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    his music represents a Westernized version of African roots.
    If we’re going to include Westernized variants we shouldn’t forget Osibisa and Assagai.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    If we’re going to include Westernized variants we shouldn’t forget Osibisa and Assagai.
    Or

If your digging the Afro Scream Contest comps be sure to check out the Love's A Real Thing comp as well, mighty fine!
    (i'm pretty sure the fine folks at Wayside keep a good supply of this stuff)

regarding Femi Kuti - i love his stuff, the apple don't fall far from the tree. Not as familiar with Sean, i'll need to work on that.

Here's one no Afro-Beat collection should be without -

Well my assorted delvings into the West African scene turned this up: an unexpected Atomic Rooster cover!

Pretty nifty! Compare to the original, if you wish...

It is pretty cool hearing rock, soul, and funk coming back to Africa.