Thread: Max Webster box set - The Party

Max Webster box set - The Party

Hey guys

When I spotted a thread on this earlier on PE, I had a look at the box set, but couldn't afford the physical version. I then made a quick visit to 7Digital and they had the whole set for sale as a download for £15 (20 dollars?)

So is it worth taking a dip into? Here's my take on it after an intensive weekend listening to all things Max:

https://momentstransition.wordpress....he-party-2017/

Enjoyed that, thanks!
    One "flaw" 'though: Greg Chadd played with Max after his stint with Saga and was part of the 5 man lineup that featured Mike Gingrich on bass and Steve McMurry on second guitar. Chadd lasted only a couple of months before Terry Watkinson returned for the end of the year 1980 and this was the last lineup until the split in spring 1981.

Pre-Universal Juvelines -lineup featured Dave Stone on keys as seen on the Barrie TV special.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I bought the box set when it was released. I thought the price was more than fair given that Live Magnetic Air (CD) was going for ridiculous prices on Ebay. I enjoyed your review and agree with Mutiny Up My Sleeve was their peak - Astonish Me is a captivating song. Universal Juveniles was a disappointment for me at time and still is - too straightforward commercial rock. I had no idea the band folded or lacked funds to tour in the UK due to a lack of label support. I saw them a bunch of times in the 70s and preferred their music to Rush. Nothing against Rush, who are great, but Max's stage show was quirky and fun and engaged the audience. The download price is a steal though. It's a bummer that Max is a foootnote in music history is cult status, they deserved so much more.

This is a great opportunity to own the music for such a low price. Hopefully, a few new PE members will key into this music. Overall, I rank Mutiny as number one and perhaps a tie between Squareheads (Hangover, anyone?) and High Classed.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 08-01-2018 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I bought the box set when it was released. I thought the price was more than fair given that Live Magnetic Air (CD) was going for ridiculous prices on Ebay.
    Not to mention the debut Kim EP - although if Universal Juveniles was too straight ahead for your tastes, you may not like that one either, I'm not sure. I have always loved the song Kids In Action myself!

Agree that Mutiny Up My Sleeve is the peak, although for me High Class In Borrowed Shoes is a very close second.

Risin' slowly to meet the waterline, YEAH!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Pekka View Post
    Enjoyed that, thanks!
    One "flaw" 'though: Greg Chadd played with Max after his stint with Saga and was part of the 5 man lineup that featured Mike Gingrich on bass and Steve McMurry on second guitar. Chadd lasted only a couple of months before Terry Watkinson returned for the end of the year 1980 and this was the last lineup until the split in spring 1981.

Pre-Universal Juvelines -lineup featured Dave Stone on keys as seen on the Barrie TV special.
    Thanks for the heads-up Pekka.

Blog duly revised