Thread: Prog Box Sets

Prog Box Sets

I stumbled across a couple boxes on Amazon and jumped on them because the price was right. The first one is Prog Box (5 Hours of Progressive Music). It's mostly fine for playing in the background. The one review on rateyourmusic notes that it does miss the five hour mark by a wide margin. Nothing earth-shaking but fine for when I was some variety playing while working.

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/co...ists/prog-box/

The other is The Krautrock & Progressive Box Set. Well, not that much Krautrock but a bit more substantial. It's a little light on the Krautrock but contains a lot of music I haven't heard or tracked down before.

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/co...ssive-box-set/

Does anyone else have either of these? Are there more boxes out there worth hunting down?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I like other type of boxes, with the full albums and nice bonuses, like Premonitions by Steve Hackett or Genesis boxes, or KC mega-editions.

Don't see much value in these compilations you refer to, however - from my perspective, it's akin listening to a (prog) radio.
    Last edited by Silantyev; 07-31-2018 at 11:16 AM.

^^^ And, since there are no prog radio stations (unless there's one on Sirius), these are perfect for in-car listening, no?
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

The two boxes in the OP are quickie Cleopatra cash-grabs. The good news is that they're not trying to grab too much cash. They are only $15 each.

For a more lovingly curated box, anyone remember "Supernatural Fairy Tales" from the mid-90s? That one introduced me to a lot of artists like Supersister, Seventh Wave, Lard Free and Ange. Great booklet with it. And the sequencing was so good each CD made sense as a separate artistic statement.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    For a more lovingly curated box, anyone remember "Supernatural Fairy Tales" from the mid-90s? That one introduced me to a lot of artists like Supersister, Seventh Wave, Lard Free and Ange. Great booklet with it. And the sequencing was so good each CD made sense as a separate artistic statement.
    Yep! I have that. It introduced me to a lot of stuff as well.
    Chad

Looks like Supernatural Fairy Tales is OOP
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Me too!

I picked up Progressive-Italia-70-15-x-CD-box-set- from wayside.
    A nice sampler of 70's Italian Prog for someone with a desire to 'catch up' in that slice of musical history.
    From sublime to mentally deranged, it's all here.
    This is 15 classic 'Rock Progressivo Italiano' discs, all in their original jewel case packaging, at an incredible bargain price.
    You get [in alphabetical order]:
    Area - Crac!
    Arti E Mestieri - Tilt
    Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso - Banco Del Muturo Soccorso
    Franco Battiato - Sulle Corde Di Aries
    Cervello - Melos
    Formula 3 - Dies Irae
    Napoli Centrale - Napoli Centrale
    Pierrot Lunair - Gudrun
    Premiata Forneria Marconi - Storia Di Un Minuto
    Reale Accademia Di Musica - Reale Accademia Di Musica
    Claudio Rocchi - Viaggio
    Il Rovescio Della Medaglia - La Bibbia
    Demetrio Stratos - Metrodora
    The Trip -Caronte
    Il Volo - Il Volo
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Several reasonably priced copies available used on discogs. If you can afford it I would recommend you buy one of the copies *with* the booklet.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post

I have this set and it was a great introduction to lesser known (European) acts back when first I bought it. I recall there are a couple of track labelling errors, one huge glaring one for Yes, but nothing that really impacts the sets worth as a good compilation of this very wide genre. It was a stylish box too, overall a good effort.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Me too!
    Same here. After years of treading water in the local Boston punk scene, this collection got me back into progressive music.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    I bought it when it was released mainly because it looked so nice. Can't remember if I actually bought any of the albums that are represented on it which I didn't have yet afterwards based on listening to the box-set. Although I did buy Seventh Wave's second album last year (which is being rereleased recently together with the debut).

I stumbled across a couple boxes on Amazon and jumped on them because the price was right. The first one is Prog Box (5 Hours of Progressive Music). It's mostly fine for playing in the background. The one review on rateyourmusic notes that it does miss the five hour mark by a wide margin. Nothing earth-shaking but fine for when I was some variety playing while working.

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/co...ists/prog-box/
    Hmm. TWO Shatner tracks?!?

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    A nice sampler of 70's Italian Prog for someone with a desire to 'catch up' in that slice of musical history.
    This is 15 classic 'Rock Progressivo Italiano' discs, all in their original jewel case packaging, at an incredible bargain price.
    Area - Crac!
    Arti E Mestieri - Tilt
    Cervello - Melos
    Formula 3 - Dies Irae
    Pierrot Lunair - Gudrun
    Claudio Rocchi - Viaggio
    The Trip -Caronte
    Il Volo - Il Volo
    That would be a really nice box for anyone starting out with Italian progressive! Full of excellent picks including some good avant stuff
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    There’s this one, also from Cleopatra:

Space Box - 1970 & Beyond (Space, Krautrock & Acid Trips)

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Spac...release/447205

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Area - Crac!
    Arti E Mestieri - Tilt
    Cervello - Melos
    Formula 3 - Dies Irae
    Pierrot Lunair - Gudrun
    Claudio Rocchi - Viaggio
    The Trip -Caronte
    Il Volo - Il Volo
    WOW! this is really a bargain, and there's no waste in the selection.
    Ordered.

I still have my copy of Supernatural Fairy Tales from 1996. While I'm not surprised to hear that the collection is out of print, I still think it's a good overview of '70s Prog Rock. This set introduced me to a lot of music that I wouldn't have heard otherwise.

There are 3 cheap Krautrock boxsets (5 CDs each ) with original records plus bonus on some of them, in the Original Classics series. Decent choice and some of the records are quite rare. Gift (2x), Parzival (2x) King Pin Meh (live), Asterix, La Düsseldorf, Message (2 x ) Satin Whale , Popol Vuh , Dennis , Diez & Bischof, Doldingers Motherhood
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

About 15 years ago when vacationing in England we bought this a Virgin Record store to play in the car. It's a nice comp, 3 CDs

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Prog-Roc...=the+best+prog

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    There are 3 cheap Krautrock boxsets (5 CDs each ) with original records plus bonus on some of them, in the Original Classics series. Decent choice and some of the records are quite rare. Gift (2x), Parzival (2x) King Pin Meh (live), Asterix, La Düsseldorf, Message (2 x ) Satin Whale , Popol Vuh , Dennis , Diez & Bischof, Doldingers Motherhood
    Bought those in Germany. Nice stuff and so cheap, that even one good CD in each box would make it worth it. Two CD's I already own.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    WOW! this is really a bargain, and there's no waste in the selection.
    It's an excellent set although I would never have included the Stratos solo album which to me is completely unlistenable (and I love Area.)

But what a bargain that is, for fifteen Italian prog CDs in their proper jewel cases! It's not your typical modern boxed set... I really like the combination of classic titles and more offbeat choices like the Il Rovescio debut (a great little slice of early 70s hard rock IMO), the Formula 3 and the Napoli Centrale. Makes sense, really - if the whole set was comprised of classic titles like the PFM/Banco debuts, a lot of people would pass on it as they already have them all. Likewise if it was all oddball and lesser known choices, there may not be enough draw for some people to pull the trigger on it. A good and smart blend.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***