Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Nik Bartsch's Ronin - Awase

FEATURED ALBUM: Nik Bartsch's Ronin - Awase

I know there are about 5-10 Nik Bartsch fans here at PE. I was a little skeptical going in on this one as I felt the last studio album was a step down from the usual fare plus this group is left a little "lighter" with absence of tthe percussionist. Compositionally (well in the minimalist sense), this is one of the strongest albums from Bartsch from my perspective. Any fans?

Review from Jazz Trail:
    Swiss pianist-composer Nik Bartsch has been tracing a unique musical path with a persistent hybridization and idiosyncrasy of projects such as Mobile and Ronin. His new ECM album, Awase, features the latter band, a fascinating quartet formed in 2001, whose current members include Sha on bass clarinet and alto saxophone, Thomy Jordi on bass, and Kaspar Rast on drums. Each musician captures the essence of the composer’s gift for texture, which is usually bolstered by juxtaposing exquisite lines in the form of ostinatos.

The opening tune, “Modul 60”, follows the minimalist concept of layering simple melodic ideas by subjecting them to a broader dimension of interplay. Treading on the heels of a surreptitious piano introduction, where a half-step descendant interval prevails and recycles itself, Sha’s saxophone dreams and floats with sheer beauty. He reiterates the dose on his own composition “A”, which consists of a friendly lullaby-ish melody turned into an additive (3+4) tempo ostinato. With an impressive simplicity in the processes, the band incurs into a variation whose recalcitrant piano notes make us think of electronic music as an inspirational source.

Bartsch’s cerebral moods are all about form and texture and that is well patented on compositions such as “Modul 36”, where arpeggiated piano with sporadic pointillism work together with the mobility of the electric bass to create beautiful moments. Jordi then rebels and sets up a funk-inflected manifesto armed with piano’s sinuous melodic exclamations and extended techniques. “Modul 34” also boasts a cool funky pose launched after a serene preparatory passage. Whenever Rast exhibits his dry drum fills, he announces nuanced mutations in the intensity of the groove delivered in six.

The 18-minute “Modul 58” can be seen as a sum of all the other pieces. It starts with slowly built piano layers enlivened by occasional bass harmonics and pumps, delicate cymbal splashes, and non-intrusive sax embellishments. Obstinate high-pitched notes on the piano drive us into a hypnotic rhythm that feels half-rock, half-electronic. Afterward, the quartet goes through a percussive phase enriched by saxophone pop sounds and air notes, muted pianism, and hi-hat delineations. It all ends up in a danceable acid jazz-funk hooked up in the fine rhythmic counterpoint between sax and piano.

Terminating the session, the four slow down on the atmospheric, picturesque “Modul 59”, but only until a titillating groove is installed, quickly becoming impregnated with repetitive figures.

Bartsch’s Awase might feel easy on the ear, but, taking into account its level of musical thoroughness, is certainly an arduous work to execute. Don’t expect improvised moments in the way they are commonly associated with jazz. This is a totally different approach, where the bandleader distills contemporary musical luster with sure-footed ritualistic grooves.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Great album, epic show.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I only own one of their albums, Holon. It's very well played, hypnotic and climatic. I like it, but it's not something I'd go for very frequently. It definitely requires a lot of attention, and this is something quite impossible for me nowadays with young (and noisy and demanding) kids at home.

Need to check Awase soon. Thanks for featuring it.

I only own one of their albums, Holon. It's very well played, hypnotic and climatic. I like it, but it's not something I'd go for very frequently. It definitely requires a lot of attention, and this is something quite impossible for me nowadays with young (and noisy and demanding) kids at home.

Need to check Awase soon. Thanks for featuring it.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    This is a real return to form for Ronin, it's right up there with their best releases. They are mesmerizing live. This stuff takes me to a whole other place. May be my favorite release of the year so far.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Just booked to see them in London in November

Like Ian said, this to me represents a return to their very best.

Quote Originally Posted by Troopers For Sound View Post
    Just booked to see them in London in November
    I hadn't realised that they were due to play any UK gigs until I read this. Immediately booked to see them in Southampton.
    Last edited by per anporth; 07-30-2018 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    This is a real return to form for Ronin, it's right up there with their best releases. They are mesmerizing live. This stuff takes me to a whole other place. May be my favorite release of the year so far.
    absolutely... it'll make my top 20 (all categories) no problems
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Fantastic show, good album. Sha!
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Love this recording, but truthfully I never really saw any drop-off or departure from form with Llyria. The compositions continue to evolve, more into unified statements and less "simple" explorations of a groove. I was skeptical about the band's future both because of losing Bjorn Meyer and reducing to a quartet minus Andi Pupato, but Awase has got me firmly on board again. As others have already said, hearing the group live is a revelation; not only has Thomi Jordi completely made the bass chair his own, but the combination of him, Kaspar Rast and the rhythmic aspect of what Sha brings to the table make the grooves as deep as ever. Just goes to show what playing together every Monday night for 10+ years will do for a band!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Fine album
    One thing i am not find of is the sound
    Relatively muddy and murky when compared to the previous ones
    I do miss Andy Pupato

Awase is great. I still like the Bjorn era best.....
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Never heard it. I really love the live albums I have - truly fantastic stuff - but to be honest I find that its usually enough Ronin Stolt that I need/want to hear. Havimg sais that, I'll try and spin a tune here to see what they've been up to.

So here's a question: Do you guys feel as there is enough variety in these albums to keep you interested?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Live is probably my favorite, and yes there's enough variety.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post

So here's a question: Do you guys feel as there is enough variety in these albums to keep you interested?
    100%, as my boy & his mates say. And especially on Awase.

Of course, this is "groove" music, & so variety functions in different ways to how it would in more "straight ahead" jazz. For what it's worth, I thought Bärtsch's last couple of records before this one lacked a little dynamic colour.

GREAT, another FUCKER of a record that I have to buy.

WHEN WILL IT END??
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Great album, epic show.
    Agreed on both
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    I do miss Andy Pupato
    I expected to as well, but I don’t. I think that just having a drummer makes them rock (and LOCK) harder.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Definitely good music, and I would easily attend a concert if I was able to. But not to my taste really, to sit and listen, domestically speaking. I would most probably fall asleep somewhere in the middle. Too slow-motion, or too cold maybe.

My fault obviously. This is quality stuff. But I prefer Koenjihyakkei
    Last edited by Zappathustra; 07-31-2018 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Definitely good music, and I would easily attend a concert if I was able to. But not to my taste really, to sit and listen, domestically speaking. I would most probably fall asleep somewhere in the middle. Too slow-motion, or too cold maybe.

My fault obviously. This is quality stuff. But I prefer Koenjihyakkei
    Ha!

Interestingly enough, the vibe I get when I'm listening is not something "to fall asleep to", but that it's somewhat frenetic and anxious. In fact, I found it's the perfect soundtrack music for when you have a deadline to meet at work in a few hours.

Seriously, try it sometime:

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

For me it's music that actually demands and rewards intense listening. Interestingly, though, I can also have it playing in the background when I'm digging into something in my workshop. The anorak/muso in my wants to try to figure out what's going on rhythmically, but my inner groove-seeker is content to sit back and let it wash over me.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    ...the vibe I get when I'm listening is not something "to fall asleep to", but that it's somewhat frenetic and anxious.
    That's funny, because that's exactly my wife's reaction to some of it I was able to convince her to attend a show with me in June, though, and she thoroughly enjoyed it.

Some of my jazzer friends are nonplussed by the music: "When's somebody gonna blow?", but they can see the skill and musicianship involved. The live recordings seem to reach them on a more visceral level, as you might expect.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    For me it's music that actually demands and rewards intense listening. Interestingly, though, I can also have it playing in the background when I'm digging into something in my workshop. The anorak/muso in my wants to try to figure out what's going on rhythmically, but my inner groove-seeker is content to sit back and let it wash over me.

That's funny, because that's exactly my wife's reaction to some of it I was able to convince her to attend a show with me in June, though, and she thoroughly enjoyed it.

Some of my jazzer friends are nonplussed by the music: "When's somebody gonna blow?", but they can see the skill and musicianship involved. The live recordings seem to reach them on a more visceral level, as you might expect.
    This is my reaction too, I can completely zone in a focus heavily on it and its very rewarding and I can also have it going in the background & its non distracting pleasant sound. Live I find myself totally zoning in. Personally I love that there isn't solo blowing going on in this style of music.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Ha!

Interestingly enough, the vibe I get when I'm listening is not something "to fall asleep to", but that it's somewhat frenetic and anxious. In fact, I found it's the perfect soundtrack music for when you have a deadline to meet at work in a few hours.
    As I stated it, is my fault only. The music is not "boring" at any rate, but it has a slow, hypnotic effect that demands a devoted listening. This is why I think that in a live concert it would most probably take me over.

Aesthetically though this doesn't attract me that much, so that I sit attentively and emerge myself into it. I don't know what to say. Maybe excessive exposure to Prog has corrupted my ears so much that I am unable to sustain this kind of music

I have just ordered Awase.