Thread: GEPH Performs at ProgDay 2018!

GEPH Performs at ProgDay 2018!

GEPH Performs at ProgDay 2018!

"This stuff is clever, sophisticated, at times joyous, in others, heavy, even, in places, creepy... If you like Brand X, Bruford, Aphex Twin and the more Frippertronic side of Robert Fripp, then I reckon you’ll like this. Brilliant."
    - Phil Lively, THE PROGRESSIVE ASPECT

GEPH is a Boston-based trio of two Chapman Sticks and drums. The band formed in 2014 with the idea of exploring composition and arranging music in a heavy, intense musical environment. The result has been two albums of instrumental music combining elements of fusion, metal, and symphonic rock. Compared to bands ranging from Animals As Leaders to a mashup of King Crimson and Tool, the music can be serene or heavy, dissonant or melodic, ambient or in-your-face. GEPH will be performing their new recently released album, Apophenia, at ProgDay 2018.

Join GEPH, KARMIC JUGGERNAUT, ALEC K. REDFEARN & THE EYESORES, FERNANDO PERDOMO & THE OUT TO SEA BAND, PIXIE NINJA and SOFTEN THE GLARE for the twenty-fourth edition of ProgDay. ProgDay is a two day outdoor festival of progressive rock. ProgDay 2018 will take place on Saturday and Sunday, September 1st and 2nd, at Storybook Farm in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Two more bands to be announced. For more information, please visit us at www.progday.net.

To hear music from this year’s bands, please visit the ProgDay Music page (http://www.progday.net/ProgDay-Music.html).

Thanks.

Michael

Never heard them but the description sounds very interesting.

I have a feeling that Geph is flying below most people's radar at the moment. A few months back I was talking with Courtney and Ben from Bent Knee about newer bands and they both said Geph was a band that I should check out. I did, and they weren’t wrong…

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    Never heard them but the description sounds very interesting.
    They are very good. I suspect you will like them.

Sounds like things are shaping up for another awesome Progday.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miciah View Post
    I have a feeling that Geph is flying below most people's radar at the moment. A few months back I was talking with Courtney and Ben from Bent Knee about newer bands and they both said Geph was a band that I should check out. I did, and they weren’t wrong…
    I live in Boston and have never heard of them! If Ben and Courtney reco them thats good enough for me.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Always exciting to hear something new! You never know what might end up being your next favorite band

The description sounds very cool, looking forward to giving them an inaugural listen @ Storybrook
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Yeah! Glad to hear it.

Banned
    Although not announced on the ProgDay page, there is apparently a pre-show Friday night at Cat's Cradle featuring Interstellar Overdrive (a Pink Floyd tribute band)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Although not announced on the ProgDay page, there is apparently a pre-show Friday night at Cat's Cradle featuring Interstellar Overdrive (a Pink Floyd tribute band)
    It IS on the Progday page! And in the Progday 2018 thread.

I think what Firth is saying is that it's not on the website and there has been no official announcement, just speculation. The Interstellar Overdrive show is the ProgDay preshow, but it's not yet on the preshow page on the website. The reason it's not there is because I've been waiting for materials from the band. Once I get the materials, it will be officially announced on the website and through our promotions team.
    Last edited by Miciah; 07-24-2018 at 11:34 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I think what Firth is saying is that it's not on the website and there has been no official announcement, just speculation. The Interstellar Overdrive show is the ProgDay preshow, but it's not yet on the preshow page on the website. The reason it's not there is because I've been waiting for materials from the band. Once I get the materials, it will be officially announced on the website and through our promotions team.
    Sorry, not sure why I thought Firth meant the FB page!

I have been a Geph fan for awhile and their last album was excellent. They have two chapman stick players, but use it them in a bit more muscular fashion, than usual. I bought the new one off of bandcamp, and look forward to hearing it. Just too busy absorbing the new Koenji Hyakkei and Karmic Juggernaut right now!

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Just too busy absorbing the new Koenji Hyakkei and Karmic Juggernaut right now!

neil
    I spoke with Koenji Hyakkei before the new record came out about playing ProgDay this year, but unfortunately we couldn't make it work. Yoshida was at ProgDay in 2003 with Samla Mammas Manna. Too bad it didn't happen. You could have seen Koenji Hyakkei, Karmic Juggernaut and Geph this year.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Next year? With Free Salamander Exhibit?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I spoke with Koenji Hyakkei before the new record came out about playing ProgDay this year, but unfortunately we couldn't make it work. Yoshida was at ProgDay in 2003 with Samla Mammas Manna. Too bad it didn't happen. You could have seen Koenji Hyakkei, Karmic Juggernaut and Geph this year.
    I still hope that gangly Canadian son of a bitch with the wonderful sig other makes it down there this year. I ain't getting any younger.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Good god, that would have been something. Next year it is, then, lol!

neil

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I still hope that gangly Canadian son of a bitch with the wonderful sig other makes it down there this year. I ain't getting any younger.
    Gangly, huh? Is that what it's come to? Ha! You will most likely see me down there, Mr. Geez! Sadly, my sig other has committed to a family visit. Her dad ain't getting any younger, either, so she certainly has my blessing.

neil