Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starcastle!

I got into Starcastle about the same time as I was discovering Styx, Kansas and Saga. Fountains of Light is an absolute classic, daft lyrics and all, despite what the band thinks of the production. The first track, the 10 minute Fountains, is perhaps my favourite track of any band, ever, and there are a handful of others up there in the top 50 or so.

The debut is pretty good, although I just don't like Lady of the Lake at all. Citadel was kind of mixed, 4 tracks I can listen to of which Shadows of Song and Change in Time are particularly strong.

I barely got through 1 listen of Real to Reel. Not even the fine final track was able to save that one.

Song of Time, meh - did nothing for me unfortunately.

I did buy the Rock Candy remasters and I'm sad to hear the band does not profit accordingly.

Just got this info from Starcastle on Facebook.
    Just got the new cover art for our website from our good friend and our official Starcastle artist, Ed Unitsky, and it's fantastic! We'll have the rest of the content up and running soon. Also, working on new songs with a tremendous group of people including George Harp. We'll get back to all of your inquires very soon. Please check out the art at ... http://starcastlerocks.com/
    ... and let us know what you think. Thanks to everyone for your continued interest!
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Anyway.

About Starcastle: Hearing them in retrospect, it struck me that their actual songwriting - as distinct from their Yes-like intros, middles, and codas - was straight out of the Midwest, and reminded me a bit of REO Speedwagon or the less adventurous Kansas songs. The result, to my ears, fell rather flat.
    A friend of mine described them like "Pouring sugar down your throat"
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    A friend of mine described them like "Pouring sugar down your throat"
    Since Americans consume the most sugar of all countries in the world, that would make sense then that they are an American band.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Since Americans consume the most sugar of all countries in the world, that would make sense then that they are an American band.
    Sugar and salt are the result of Food Manufacturer's pushing it like drug dealers. They know it's addictive and put it in food in high amounts because you're body and mind become addicted and NEED it.
    Add to the mix how Big Pharm does the same thing by pushing unnecessary drugs, and new drugs to counteract the side effects their drugs cause.

Where people eat the most sugar

How much sugar the average person consumes each day.

126.4 grams
    United States
    102.9 grams
    Germany
    102.5 grams
    Netherlands
    96.7 grams
    Ireland
    95.6 grams
    Australia
    95 grams
    Belgium
    93.2 grams
    United Kingdom
    92.5 grams
    Mexico
    91.5 grams
    Finland
    89.1 grams
    Canada
    88.1 grams
    Austria
    86.1 grams
    Sweden
    83.1 grams
    Norway
    82.9 grams
    New Zealand
    80.7 grams
    Saudi Arabia
    76.1 grams
    Switzerland
    75.1 grams
    Denmark
    72.7 grams
    Argentina
    71.6 grams
    Czech Republic
    70.1 grams
    Spain
    68.5 grams
    France
    66.7 grams
    Slovakia
    58.6 grams
    Chile
    57.6 grams
    Italy
    56.8 grams
    Poland
    56.7 grams
    Japan
    56.5 grams
    Greece
    55.7 grams
    Peru
    53.5 grams
    Honk Kong
    51.8 grams
    Portugal
    50.8 grams
    Hungary
    47.6 grams
    Brazil
    41.9 grams
    United Arab Emirates
    41.5 grams
    South Africa
    39.2 grams
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I think what he meant was it would be like listening to The Archies.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I recently picked up Real to Reel and enjoyed it. Side 1 is the fairly good but not great AOR, but flip it over to side 2, and it's everything a prog fan would expect from Starcastle. It's much like Yes' Big Generator album. Side 1 is meh, but side 2 is great.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    I recently picked up Real to Reel and enjoyed it. Side 1 is the fairly good but not great AOR, but flip it over to side 2, and it's everything a prog fan would expect from Starcastle. It's much like Yes' Big Generator album. Side 1 is meh, but side 2 is great.
    I ditched the vinyl of this years ago. Haven’t heard it since. The only thing I remember about it is the production was excellent and the last track was good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post

The debut is pretty good, although I just don't like Lady of the Lake at all.

!!!
    Wow. That's an against the grain one amongst Starcastle fans I would think. A prog classic imo, the reason I got into Starcastle back in the day.

This may sound crazy, but when I first heard Trettioåriga Kriget it hit instantly with me because it reminded me of some of the textures of early Starcastle. No, there isn't the same Yes vocals, but there is a keyboard heavy multi-melody aspect where I always lumped these two bands together in my head.

Starcastle was always a difficult band for me to process.

It's the first time I heard a band TRYING to play prog rock.
    It feels forced and very contrived.

The great prog bands of the 70's were bands doing their thing that others later would describe or label as such....prog.

Starcastle clearly had made a decision to sound like a progressive rock band like their contemporaries.
    Certainly their singer had "Jon" in mind. He could have picked someone else had his timbre been different, but that would not
    have changed things.

I know younger people might find this hard to believe, but back in the 70's it was NOT COOL to sound like another band.
    You could not have 486 bands that all sound like Pearl Jam or Nirvana and still have any kind of "cool" factor.

On the flip side, I do understand why some people like Starcastle. Their early albums were nicely produced and sounded good in the era of vinyl and tube amps with big speakers and or stoner headphones. The musicianship is worthy of compliment
    and the songs while in the vein of "Yes" do have some credibility. It just think Starcastle was the beginning of the end of progressive rock, because it really was not "progressing" when you have a band pursue their work within a genre sticking so tightly to "the formula" of the times.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    !!!
    Wow. That's an against the grain one amongst Starcastle fans I would think. A prog classic imo, the reason I got into Starcastle back in the day.
    Agreed! A classic (Lady of the lake). I remember vividly the first time I heard that LP and tune in the late 70's at my buddy home who had just purchased new Klipsch speakers... brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    Starcastle was always a difficult band for me to process.

It's the first time I heard a band TRYING to play prog rock.
    It feels forced and very contrived.......

.......I just think Starcastle was the beginning of the end of progressive rock, because it really was not "progressing" when you have a band pursue their work within a genre sticking so tightly to "the formula" of the times.
    They've been described as one of the first "neo" bands. And I agree with you. As to why, I'd make the guess that they could play really well, as well as most of the Big However-Many, and could copy anything they heard. But they couldn't write songs - songs, as distinct from added-on soundtrack-like twiddly bits - any more adventurous than those of their peers in the Midwest club scene. And I suspect they hadn't listened to much classical music, or jazz, or much except for other rock and prog bands. There's lots of bands like them today - I've seen dozens at Progday over the years, and they comprise the bulk of RosFest's bookings.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    They've been described as one of the first "neo" bands. And I agree with you. As to why, I'd make the guess that they could play really well, as well as most of the Big However-Many, and could copy anything they heard. But they couldn't write songs I've seen dozens at Progday over the years, and they comprise the bulk of RosFest's bookings.
    So what really is "neo prog?"
    I know some of the bands that are associated etc... but what is it on a musical sense? What is it embracing?

There is always room for Yes like Prog. I was a 15 year old prog lover when the debut came out. I was so happy to hear something like that, it came to me from out of almost nowhere! I have not enjoyed Reel to Real or their latest as much as their first 3 albums, but I am glad someone is producing new material. I have been watching a lot of documentaries for Rush, Beatles, Eagles, Cream, Grand Funk... - any artist or group I grew up with that I can find - Seems like they've all faded with time. It's sad that there is seemingly a world coming that no longer includes Rock or Prog music. So, if Starcastle still wants to be in the game, I say go for it. Just to have the complete set. Sadly, Living in the past is about all I have now... Pretty much. But Starcastle was a part of my life growing up. I cant describe the feeling it gives me to just put that on and enjoy. Thanks to them for being there. And still being here. I have the same affection for all the 70's bands that are still working. Though the best days are passed, still... I am hanging on by my aged finger nails. I wonder if the affection for music of ones time will still be something when the younger people reach my age, or if it will be Video games, or some other thing that they now enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    There is always room for Yes like Prog. I was a 15 year old prog lover when the debut came out. I was so happy to hear something like that, it came to me from out of almost nowhere! I have not enjoyed Reel to Real or their latest as much as their first 3 albums, but I am glad someone is producing new material. I have been watching a lot of documentaries for Rush, Beatles, Eagles, Cream, Grand Funk... - any artist or group I grew up with that I can find - Seems like they've all faded with time. It's sad that there is seemingly a world coming that no longer includes Rock or Prog music. So, if Starcastle still wants to be in the game, I say go for it. Just to have the complete set. Sadly, Living in the past is about all I have now... Pretty much. But Starcastle was a part of my life growing up. I cant describe the feeling it gives me to just put that on and enjoy. Thanks to them for being there. And still being here. I have the same affection for all the 70's bands that are still working. Though the best days are passed, still... I am hanging on by my aged finger nails. I wonder if the affection for music of ones time will still be something when the younger people reach my age, or if it will be Video games, or some other thing that they now enjoy.
    This was a very poignant thing to read, for me. If Starcastle gives you a good feeling, then that alone makes their music worthwhile IMO, no matter what anyone else says.

It is an interesting thing to consider, whether the newer generations will look back on music of their childhood the way that we do, or if it will be things like video games, movies, etc. I think for music, the 60s, 70s, and 80s were a unique period and the modern age is a very different kind of landscape for that.

With regard to living in the past, I can relate. But hang in there man! There's reason to take heart.

And for what it's worth, I enjoy reading your contributions here.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    This was a very poignant thing to read, for me. If Starcastle gives you a good feeling, then that alone makes their music worthwhile IMO, no matter what anyone else says.

It is an interesting thing to consider, whether the newer generations will look back on music of their childhood the way that we do, or if it will be things like video games, movies, etc. I think for music, the 60s, 70s, and 80s were a unique period and the modern age is a very different kind of landscape for that.

With regard to living in the past, I can relate. But hang in there man! There's reason to take heart.

And for what it's worth, I enjoy reading your contributions here.
    So did I, and my hunger for the music of my youth (remember I'm almost 74 & grew up in NYC) made me relate to it easily.

Interestingly, the music of my youth (sequentially) was doowop, then folk music, and then on the way to prog, 60s Psych (both US and UK).

While I still love a whole lot of progressive music, I am getting more & more pleasure from conjuring up the memories of my youth by listening to its music.

I have a feeling that this is a common phenomenon exponentially for us geezers.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    So did I, and my hunger for the music of my youth (remember I'm almost 74 & grew up in NYC) made me relate to it easily.

Interestingly, the music of my youth (sequentially) was doowop, then folk music, and then on the way to prog, 60s Psych (both US and UK).

While I still love a whole lot of progressive music, I am getting more & more pleasure from conjuring up the memories of my youth by listening to its music.

Huh. You may be onto something there.

"Rosebud ...."
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

"My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Reminds me of the classic examination "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"
    In today's world, unfortunately. the classical view has been cast aside for the romantic view.
    Quality comes from a meeting of the two, not just a one sided view or application in or of principle.

Ride the bike, the power, the handling, enjoy the wind in your hair, but also know how the engine works and have the knowledge and tools to repair it... if when needed....and enjoy that process equally too.

Last night I randomly grabbed a couple of cd's that jumped out of the pile, the Lemon Twigs Do Hollywood (highly recommended!) and the first Starcastle. That Starcastle record really was enjoyable partially because of what Geezer said about the nostalgia and great memories from the times when I first heard it, and also because it's a damn good record start to finish. A little Yes derivative, possibly so but I they definitely had their own thing going on (I will admit the series of "Do Do Do Do Do" lyrics can be a little corny). No more so than Frank Marino copping Jimi, but hey, I enjoy the hell out of those old Mahogany Rush records too.

Just enjoy it for what it is and have fun.

The guy who runs the Sea of Tranquility website has been doing a series of "ranking the albums of an artist". He has done one for Starcastle

I have predictable views on Starcastle, I did have their debut on cd ages ago but eventually got rid of it.