Page 6 of 71 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: The last thing you listened to was.....

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Entirely different? I think they have more similarities than differences. Both are comprised of four long songs broken down into movements of various lengths having classic 'prog rock' song structures. Both have very YES-like elements while still retaining their own unique identity. The biggest difference I see is that the Invention of Knowledge album comes across as, while well done, fairly predictable prog by the numbers, which seems to be Roine Stolt's MO anyhow. Whereas the Perfect Beings album takes some unexpected turns and has a more modern feel to it.
    Vier doesn't really sound anything like Yes to me. Invention of Knowledge is more rooted in the "symphonic prog" style, whereas Perfect Beings are a more modern sounding hard-to-pin-down style, IMO. Which makes sense, given that one was written largely by Jon Anderson, and the other one wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Entirely different? I think they have more similarities than differences. Both are comprised of four long songs broken down into movements of various lengths having classic 'prog rock' song structures. Both have very YES-like elements while still retaining their own unique identity. The biggest difference I see is that the Invention of Knowledge album comes across as, while well done, fairly predictable prog by the numbers, which seems to be Roine Stolt's MO anyhow. Whereas the Perfect Beings album takes some unexpected turns and has a more modern feel to it.
    I know a lot of people are really happy with Vier but I just can't get there.
    The songs aren't resonating with me.
    I'll take that Anderson/Stolt LP over it - any day! But hey: different strokes.
    (That said, I know I need to give Vier another chance as I really liked the first two...)
    The Prog Corner

Speaking of Roine, just listened to Retropolis on lunch, for the first time in over a decade. My tastes have changed in those years. The title track had great moments, but annoying filler type moments too, where they like to sound 'scary' or something, for some reason. They do that a bit in the otherwise fabulous 'Flora Majora' too. But 'There Is More To This World' sounded better than ever, as did the following piano solo by Tomas, 'Romancing The City', which should have been longer.

Eighth Blackbird - Strange Imaginary Animals

Not sure how many of you are familiar Eight Blackbird, but they are a contemporary classical music sextet, that may appeal to fans of RIO and avant-prog.

The recording quality is also very good.

Ralph Towner - Old Friends, New Friends

And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

1920s blues.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

"The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    "Talk to God" by GOAT

The bass player thunders along like the Son of Ox.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Live boot of the Byrds and the Burritos playing together at the Whiskey Au Go Go in 1970
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Bootcut ‎– De Fluff

Frank Zappa live at The Tower Theater November 10, 1984
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

AD416276-E0AE-4C72-9F47-E66F2C755B0E.jpg
    - THE FIRST QUARTET - ( ECM box set) ****

JOHN ABERCROMBIE, RICHIE BEIRACH, GEORGE MRAZ, PETER DONALD.

James Taylor-Greatest Hits
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

410qIH6GUcL.jpg

Forgot just how many Utopia songs I really liked over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Speaking of Roine, just listened to Retropolis on lunch, for the first time in over a decade. My tastes have changed in those years. The title track had great moments, but annoying filler type moments too, where they like to sound 'scary' or something, for some reason. They do that a bit in the otherwise fabulous 'Flora Majora' too. But 'There Is More To This World' sounded better than ever, as did the following piano solo by Tomas, 'Romancing The City', which should have been longer.
    Nice. And I agree about the songs you mentioned.

Also, "Silent Sorrow" is still one of my faves from that period. And "The Melting Pot". I listen to those more than to the "epics" on that disc nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Nice. And I agree about the songs you mentioned.

Also, "Silent Sorrow" is still one of my faves from that period. And "The Melting Pot". I listen to those more than to the "epics" on that disc nowadays.
    Yes those are great. For me their last great album was 'Unfold The Future', not that I don't like subsequent releases, but UTF really nails it with the 2 epics on the first disc there.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Yes those are great. For me their last great album was 'Unfold The Future', not that I don't like subsequent releases, but UTF really nails it with the 2 epics on the first disc there.
    Oh totally! I think UTF is still their magnum opus. Such a sprawling double LP set, with way more variety than one might have expected from the band who made Back In The World Of Adventures and Retropolis (not that those aren't good albums). But like you said, those two epics on disc 1 are great -- and then there's still more to explore on disc 2, like "Genie In A Bottle" and "Devil's Playground".

Have you heard the the remixed versions of "The Truth Will Set You Free" or "Black And White"?

Boston - Boston.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Pholas Dactylus "Concerto Della Menti"
    The Prog Corner

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Alec K. Redfearn & The Eyesores - The Quiet Room

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    Eighth Blackbird - Strange Imaginary Animals

Not sure how many of you are familiar Eight Blackbird, but they are a contemporary classical music sextet, that may appeal to fans of RIO and avant-prog.

The recording quality is also very good.
    I have not heard this one, need to look it up.
    I saw then several times at Big Ears in 2016.
    Really nice.
    Not quite the 'chamber prog' of Aranis, but very modern.
    I have their album ''fred'' which has Frederic Rzewski "Coming Together" which they performed at Big Ears. Spine tingling.
    Last edited by markwoll; 08-28-2018 at 02:20 PM.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Transatlantic - Kaleidoscope. Great!!!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Egberto Gismonti - Selected Recordings ECM. ****
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Pat Martino--Consciousness

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Papir III
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.