Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: REGAL WORM: PIG VIEWS. Anyone have it?? Thoughts and Opinions welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Rookie.
    LOL!!.... Plus my bought digital downloads too!!!

^^^^ noni is that it? you are indeed a rookie
    Third spin now of this release. Still excited but not quite as much. Do not get me wrong this is quality stuff here, just listening with a more analytical ear. I guess I tend to do so, I think we all do, us crazy fans of all good music. WTF if it were not good to me ears then I would not listen, too much out there to do otherwise.! That being said, still enjoying this. Whatever would we do without music??

Dave

Love it but not quite the same as the other ones although they all suffer from a sort of odd flow - disjointed is a better word I guess... but the music is super. I rate this pretty high for this year already - these tend to grow each listen

Now that this one is sinking in I can tell without the slightest doubt that it is a great record. Much different than his earlier output, and much different than anything that passes as prog these days. There is a light, jovial atmosphere, almost flirting with kitsch at points. Hats off to Jarrod: he's a real artist, treading his own path, indifferent to the trends, and yet fully aware of the music of today.

After 5 listens, I only yet start to connect now. And not because of the music's "difficulty" but because of its unique, singular character. I suggest that people insist on this weird album, they'll be rewarded.

Listened to the other day on headphones. Caught a lot of details I missed with more casual listening. Lots of growling synths just beneath the surface, like on everything song.

Seems like this album gives more space to the soloists (i.e., people who aren't Jarrod on the album) than the previous two.

Need more time to digest, but it's a good album.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I heard again from Jarrod regarding the defective CDs. Apparently the first batch of CDs he had is now sold out - great news! Another batch will be along in a couple of weeks and he'll be sending my replacement out then. If you have a CD do make sure to check if yours has the defect, and let Jarrod know if so.

In other news I think this is in danger of becoming my fave RW album.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Hi all - My name is Bob and I run the little label that Pig Views has been released on (Uranium Club). I thought I'd add some stuff to this thread fyi.

I've been working with Jarrod for a few years now - we collaborated on the first 2 RW albums following a mutual introduction to each other by Tim Bowness. This album has been in gestation for a number of years - Jarrod is pretty prolific and has a number of projects, obviously I Monster being the key one, but also his band with a lady called Cecilia Fage, Cobalt Chapel, which if you haven't heard it is worth getting into. So IM and CC kind of took precedence I think over RW hence the time between NUNO and this one.

In the meantime, I had been developing my lifetime ambition to have my own label and once the stars were aligned, we agreed to put this one out on it - actually a kind of co label thing, as JG has his own label called Quatermass - you can see both logos on the artwork.

Talking of the artwork I hope you agree that this is the most stunning cover art I think JG has done and up there with the best ever. That includes the work he did on Tim's last album for which they received a Prog Award (and incidentally I did a couple of lyric vids for).

We agreed pretty early on that we wanted to push the boat out a bit on the quality and manufacturing - both he and I share an obsession with perfection and one of my core aims with the label is to produce great packaging that people like and feel they "own" as an extension of the music. So, the little blue foil envelopes that the CD's come in is part of that obsession. I mean who wants plain cardboard, when you can have metallic blue, right ?

Anyway, we wanted to do a vinyl version and if you know anything about vinyl at all, you'll know that it is a lovely thing to behold but it doesn't half take some fettling to get it there. It’s also the longest pole in the tent on any release schedule. So we decided to do vinyl and I was then keen that we got the work done at Abbey Road by Sean Magee as first, he did the cut for Kaprekar's Constant (also on UC) and as a Rush obsessive, I wanted him to do it as he cut all the Rush vinyl remasters a few years back. If you remember, we had quite a bad winter, so the session had to be rearranged a few times as he couldn't get to the studio.

The vinyl was pressed at the old Hayes EMI plant, which is now occupied by a company called the Vinyl Factory. There is a little bit of an obsession on vinyl pressing right now with everyone wanting their stuff done in Holland or Germany, but I was very pleased with the Test Pressings and the attention to detail that TVF brought to the party. If you have a copy, I hope you agree - it's a great transfer and the look and feel of the cover and the insert are great. I also insist on poly lined inners for vinyl - paper and card are not kind to vinyl - so I'd always suggest getting some poly lined inners and get the plastic in them ASAP.

We also developed a limited edition boxset, which is a feature of UC as a label, and these have proven very popular and it’s great fun collaborating with the artist to develop these ideas. Jarrod is full of ideas and is a joy to work with developing this kind of thing. We are currently working on some other presentation and packaging ideas to bring forth so keep a lookout. In actual fact, the whole idea for box sets was triggered by the previous RW release when we developed the "Box of Suites" which I think you can still get direct from Jarrod.

So, all this attention to detail you would have thought that we might, just might, have noticed a tiny error in the CD master which has given rise to the issue referred to above. The first master for the album was perfect apart from when we produced the file for the manufacturing, we noticed an issue with the track lead in times. So it was back to the mastering engineer for a new master, which we examined to make sure the previous fault had been fixed, but failed to listen carefully enough (it needs headphones to pick it up really) to the whole master - and thus it was that this little mastering error crept through. It remained unnoticed by us until we were notified. So, what we've done is to have it remastered - again - and had a new run done. So if you want to replace the CD if you can't live with the issue (believe me, i can't avoid hearing it now) then let me know and I'll get one out to you. It doesn’t affect the vinyl or the download or stream.

Anyway, thanks for the positive comments on the album - it was a labour of love and I’m thrilled that I was able to help bring it out and with the reception it’s got. Of course, none of this counts for anything unless the material is actually any good, and I am blessed to be able to work h with an artist of Jarrod’s calibre - he’s quite unique in today’s world of Prog IMHO. So tell all your friends !! :-)

Cheers

Bob

Great post Bob! Your enthusiasm really shines through.

Quote Originally Posted by Uranium Club View Post
    We agreed pretty early on that we wanted to push the boat out a bit on the quality and manufacturing - both he and I share an obsession with perfection and one of my core aims with the label is to produce great packaging that people like and feel they "own" as an extension of the music. So, the little blue foil envelopes that the CD's come in is part of that obsession. I mean who wants plain cardboard, when you can have metallic blue, right ?
    Just so you know that these little touches aren't wasted - my small daughter (just 20 months) fished that blue envelope out of the bin in my study and it became her favourite possession for about a week. She got a lot more enjoyment out of it than some of the expensive toys we've bought her
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Great post Bob!

B.t.w. I also love Jarrod's collaboration in Skywatchers

Haven't heard the issue, so I guess my copy is o.k. (or I'm getting deaf ),

Thanks so much for sharing with us BOB. It is always a thrill when someone from an inner circle comes and gives us firsthand info that we not normally be privy to. Greatly appreciated

Dave