Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Bohemian Rhapsody - The Movie: Official Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post

One thing I really don't like in Queen's live concerts over the years is Brian May's long guitar solo. Always sounds the same to me. Sorry!
    The dude has a style no doubt, but a one trick pony for sure
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post

I'll be blunt -- You and I from DATR. I think that's a pretty bad song that weakens that album.
    Absolutely love it. Fits in well with the whole romantic part of the album.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Glad Rami won best actor.

Glad Green Book won best picture. It's more the caliber of the kind of thing you'd give that Oscar for. Bho Rap was fun, but come on!
    Agreed. I loved the film, but was very surprised to see it nominated. Same with A Star is Born.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    But none of his material makes me wince the way a third of Roger's songs do, or "Body Language," or "Sleeping On The Sidewalk," or "Don't Try Suicide," or "Get Down Make Freddie Stop Writing Songs Like This." IMO YMMV and so on.
    Yep. Rog has a few that I like ("I'm in Love with My Car" and "Radio Gaga" immediately come to mind), but in general, he's the weak link, writing-wise.

One thing I really don't like in Queen's live concerts over the years is Brian May's long guitar solo. Always sounds the same to me. Sorry!
    I'm a huge Brian May fan, but his solos are boring as hell, and as JJ says, they haven't changed in 30 years.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Wow, I never knew that Deacon wrote Spread Your Wings! One of my faves. I also didn't know Christian Bale wasn't American. I just took a gander at his Wikipedia entry.

But, I also don't give a crap about the Oscars. I've just lost all interest in any awards shows.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 02-25-2019 at 02:43 PM.

The Montreal film shows that 'Get Down...' was quite a production number live, with all the lights. Indeed I must say that film didn't make much impression on me until I saw the restored version. It is outstanding quality because it was 35mm film as opposed to videotape. The crowd was a bit subdued which irritates Mercury, but musically they were on terrific form.
    Never watched that. I think that show was from about seven days after I saw them in Hartford, 8/20/1980. That is exactly what they sounded and looked like.

I thought it was very cool the first few times I heard it. But yeah, all these indulgent solo sections get a bit much after a while (virtually all drums solos, imo!), and Brian's guitar solos are very samey. He would have been better served to keep it shorter... even on the studio version of Brighton Rock it gets to be a bit much.

Bill

^The shows filmed for We Will Rock You were actually in 1981, so it was about a year after you saw them- same venue as the 1980 show in Montreal though. I suppose they had an eye on the emerging home video market at the time...their Greatest Flix video collection also came out around then and was a popular title.

May is an excellent guitarist who has many inventive solos within songs and memorable riffs to his name. But his extended solos rely too much on gimmicks and effects for my taste. But I'm not that fond of that kind of rock showboating anyway.
    Last edited by JJ88; 02-26-2019 at 07:25 AM.

^The shows filmed for We Will Rock You were actually in 1981, so it was about a year after you saw them- same venue as the 1980 show in Montreal though. I suppose they had an eye on the emerging home video market at the time...their Greatest Flix video collection also came out around then and was a popular title.
    I see. I didn't catch the shows in November 1981, so yes that was a year later from when I saw them. Still about the same show, though.

Bill

I don't really see playing a bunch of blues licks into a delay and harmonizing with the echo "showboaty". Just taking something simple and making it a little more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    The dude has a style no doubt, but a one trick pony for sure
    Blasphemy! Maybe Brian can't play as many styles as someone like Guthrie Govan or Steve Morse, but he's far from a one trick pony! Have you ever heard him playing "Love of My Life" as a duo with just him (on acoustic) and Freddy? His "guitar orchestra" overdubbing extravaganzas show a deep understanding of harmony and orchestral arranging. I read in a Queen bio that he once stunned his bandmates by playing a solo guitar arrangement of "Martha My Dear." Then there's the skiffle acoustic playing on tunes like "'39." Or listen to his solo on (one of Roger's less than great tunes) "The Invisible Man." I can usually tell exactly what most rock guitar players are playing, but I have no idea what the hell he's doing on that one!

Sorry, but he's one of my heroes and I can't sit passively by when I see something like that!

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Blasphemy! Maybe Brian can't play as many styles as someone like Guthrie Govan or Steve Morse, but he's far from a one trick pony! Have you ever heard him playing "Love of My Life" as a duo with just him (on acoustic) and Freddy? His "guitar orchestra" overdubbing extravaganzas show a deep understanding of harmony and orchestral arranging. I read in a Queen bio that he once stunned his bandmates by playing a solo guitar arrangement of "Martha My Dear." Then there's the skiffle acoustic playing on tunes like "'39." Or listen to his solo on (one of Roger's less than great tunes) "The Invisible Man." I can usually tell exactly what most rock guitar players are playing, but I have no idea what the hell he's doing on that one!

Sorry, but he's one of my heroes and I can't sit passively by when I see something like that!
    I think the comment about "one trick pony" was more in relation to his live guitar feature solo, which was very samey over the years and always seemed to rely on the same bag of tricks. In other respects you're definitely right, but I think in this one regard perhaps there's some truth to it.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I think the comment about "one trick pony" was more in relation to his live guitar feature solo, which was very samey over the years and always seemed to rely on the same bag of tricks. In other respects you're definitely right, but I think in this one regard perhaps there's some truth to it.

Bill
    Fair enough. I'd guess he wanted to remain somewhat faithful to the original studio version of "Brighton Rock" whenever he did that solo in concert. But the entire Queen discography reveals that there was a lot more to Brian than that one Echoplex solo.

Fair enough. I'd guess he wanted to remain somewhat faithful to the original studio version of "Brighton Rock" whenever he did that solo in concert. But the entire Queen discography reveals that there was a lot more to Brian than that one Echoplex solo.
    If only he'd express that during his solo spot.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Sorry Ernie.

I was referring to his pentatonic echoplex Brighton Rock solo spot.

But to be honest, I could never get into Queen

All those overdubs drive me crazy!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

^^^^^ i wouldn't call it a Brighton Rock solo spot anymore.
    what he's playing is a song from his solo album titled Last Horizon.
    his solos have gotten long. he plays great all the time, he doesn't need a solo.

also, they played Killer Queen on what they passed off as the bands first American tour after their first album was released. wrong.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    also, they played Killer Queen on what they passed off as the bands first American tour after their first album was released. wrong.
    Call the police!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Call the police!
    They didn't come along until 1977, so that would just be a further anachronism.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Sorry Ernie.

I was referring to his pentatonic echoplex Brighton Rock solo spot.

But to be honest, I could never get into Queen

All those overdubs drive me crazy!
    No need for apologies. I love all those overdubs! Different strokes!

But do they drive him Stone Cold Crazy?

a lot of events were taken out of context with the time line.

That's one thing that always bugs me about biopics, the way they play with the facts and/or chronology to "movie it up", so to speak. Which isn't to say I don't enjoy some of them, but some work better than others too.

Still haven't seen this one, but I do want to.

So, we just finished watching the movie on DVD that someone loaned us. The chronological anachronisms didn't bother me as much as I feared they would. I rolled my eyes a few times, but this didn't spoil the film. I can't say I particularly loved it, though. It just seemed to be a series of predictable cliches pasted together; many manufactured to make the film more "dramatic." Or, to me, melodramatic. It lacked what I'd consider real depth, the characters were largely caricatures. And I think they missed on Freddie, whose sly, cynical, and somewhat "tough" attitude that is so well captured in interview footage rarely appears.

Maybe I know way too much about Queen for my own good, but even if this move was about a band I didn't know so much about, I'd think it was a pretty superficial affair. Not a total flop, but to me, it could have been much better, and probably would have been if they'd gone for a R rating instead of PG-13.

Bill

I finally watched this and really enjoyed it, pretty emotional. Just a shame they couldn't get the facts and timeline correct. Of course they did this on purpose to make for dramatic effect but I just hate it when they rewrite history. So yes I liked it but if only they could have told the correct story.

I watched it as a captive on a transatlantic flight, so on a rubbish little screen with sun slanting in, but thankfully I had my decent headphones plugged in so the sounds was good. I loved early Queen as a teen, and was lucky enough to see their Hyde Park free gig, but after that event I never really bothered much. That said I knew their story well and have watched and enjoyed the biographical documentaries. I could take the chronology blips, but not so much the total rewriting of the latter history, but then it isn't aimed at me, it's lowest common denominator stuff, targeted to sell as many tickets as possible. I simply couldn't see the point of the almost full recreation of Live Aid.

It's like most rock biographies, I enjoy reading about the early struggle, but once they hit the heights I find the story is inevitably pretty boring, and quite often put the book aside. I could have done the same with this movie, but if I suspended all critical facilities, it was an ok bit of mass entertainment, and they played their parts pretty well.

I really enjoyed it initially....

It inspired me to buy their whole catalog and really get to know it. I only had the Greatest Hits before that.

It was an enjoyable trek and I discovered so many great tunes I never was aware of. I watched a lot of live footage of them over the course of the three months or so I dissected the catalog.

Then, I bought the DVD and watched it again and I didn't like it nearly as much as the previous times. It was like once I knew them better I could see the faults of the movie much clearer.

Rami was good, but not really Oscar worthy. Nice he got one and all, but it's a pretty soft role to wind up with an Oscar over. And he really didn't look like Freddie that much. Freddie wasn't bug eyed for starters...

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I simply couldn't see the point of the almost full recreation of Live Aid.
    I think it's pretty clear that they consider it to be the high point of their career, and are pretty proud of it. I would have been surprised if it wasn't given such a spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post

Rami was good, but not really Oscar worthy. Nice he got one and all, but it's a pretty soft role to wind up with an Oscar over. And he really didn't look like Freddie that much. Freddie wasn't bug eyed for starters...
    It was almost distracting how he didn't look like him, especially considering that the actor playing Brian May was so spot-on. But for the few scenes where Rami wore sunglasses, I thought it was pretty passable.