Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Bohemian Rhapsody - The Movie: Official Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    it isn't aimed at me, it's lowest common denominator stuff, targeted to sell as many tickets as possible.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I simply couldn't see the point of the almost full recreation of Live Aid.
    I think it relates directly to your point above. I think they wanted the audience to walk out with a feeling of "triumph." The Live Aid performance, coupled with the oh-so-very tidy resolution of every outstanding plot element the day of the gig (Jim Hutton, Freddie's parents, Mary) were all cleverly designed to deliver just such a tingly sensation. It's basically emotional manipulation. Not drama, but melodrama, designed to sell tickets to the punters. And most amazingly, it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I really enjoyed it initially....

It inspired me to buy their whole catalog and really get to know it.
    If there's any upside to the film, this is probably it; the discovery of Queen by those who didn't previously know the band that well. Out of curiosity, what are your favorite albums or tracks that you've discovered as a result of your exploration?

Bill

For me, the best Queen is the first four albums. THAT is the stuff that really sounds like what I expect Queen to sound like. A wall of harmonized guitars, operatic vocal flourishes, and meaty riffs that practically foretell the coming of metal. Death On Two Legs is maybe my fave of all the tunes I discovered. That whole first side of Sheer Heartattack is among my fave tracks as well. After that they either tried to do more of the same (Day At The Races) or went for a stripped down sound that lacked a lot of the character and drama the first four albums offered. From News of the World onward they were trying different things and trying to sound different, and some worked better than others. Jazz was a temporary bounce back in the right direction, but then came disco and it's effects. Hot Space is where it peaked, though I didn't find that one particularly offensive. Side two wasn't disco at all and was about as good an album side they would offer up in the 80s on any of the albums that came later. Each had a couple tracks that stood out and a lot of filler. They really didn't make a solid, rocking album again until Innuendo. One interesting thing, Roger's tracks really grew on me. They don't really seem like Queen tracks so much as they sound like Roger songs with Queen on them. At least until he started letting Freddie sing them instead of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    For me, the best Queen is the first four albums. THAT is the stuff that really sounds like what I expect Queen to sound like. A wall of harmonized guitars, operatic vocal flourishes, and meaty riffs that practically foretell the coming of metal. Death On Two Legs is maybe my fave of all the tunes I discovered. That whole first side of Sheer Heartattack is among my fave tracks as well. After that they either tried to do more of the same (Day At The Races) or went for a stripped down sound that lacked a lot of the character and drama the first four albums offered. From News of the World onward they were trying different things and trying to sound different, and some worked better than others. Jazz was a temporary bounce back in the right direction, but then came disco and it's effects. Hot Space is where it peaked, though I didn't find that one particularly offensive. Side two wasn't disco at all and was about as good an album side they would offer up in the 80s on any of the albums that came later. Each had a couple tracks that stood out and a lot of filler. They really didn't make a solid, rocking album again until Innuendo. One interesting thing, Roger's tracks really grew on me. They don't really seem like Queen tracks so much as they sound like Roger songs with Queen on them. At least until he started letting Freddie sing them instead of him.
    Cool! I'd agree with the majority of that. Those first four really are special. For me that special-ness continues through Day and the Races and News of the World, but I can see how one would perceive a drop-off.

Also agree about the Taylor songs (through News of the World, after that... meh), they have a unique vibe and always contribute something to the albums for me.

I like a couple of tracks on Innuendo, but don't feel it was the solid rock album that many do.

Bill