Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Genesis Calling all Stations

Quote Originally Posted by AndiSexgang View Post
    Well, we disagree then.
    You "disagree" about whether Porcupine Tree were somehow representative of a progressive stage in rock music on releasing Stupid Dream in 1999? How did Stupid Dream come to form a standard in "progressive" devlopment of rock?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Like I said, we disagree.
    But the point in question here wasn't one of quality or quantity, and seeing how this is a discussion forum and I posed a question for discussion; what do you "disagree" with?
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    One may love or hate Calling All Stations, but lauding the album for purportedly being "relatively progressive" doesn't exactly cut it.
    It does if what is being presented is Progressive Rock (the genre) rather than progressive rock (the political statement of purpose). Porcupine Tree is reflective of a genre which you may or may not consider ossified. However, it is no more ossified than new Jazz artists of the era sounding as if they were perpetually churning out a Post Bop pastiche.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    It does if what is being presented is Progressive Rock (the genre) rather than progressive rock (the political statement of purpose). Porcupine Tree is reflective of a genre which you may or may not consider ossified. However, it is no more ossified than new Jazz artists of the era sounding as if they were perpetually churning out a Post Bop pastiche.
    a) Can you first explain how Porcupine Tree's Stupid Dream (1999) is reflective of the musical (and thus pop-cultural) virtues that came to define progressive rock 30 years earlier?

b) Please mention some of those "new Jazz artists of the era" (1999), because I'm not sure I know any.

I disagree with everything in your first response to me. There is no point discussing it, as you seem very interested in deep discussion, but I am not. I don't feel the need to get into a massive discussion explaining my views more than those I have already written. Please, I'm asking you politely to just take it or leave it.
    Thanks for asking politely. I promise I will never invite such deep discussion with you ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    a) Can you first explain how Porcupine Tree's Stupid Dream (1999) is reflective of the musical (and thus pop-cultural) virtues that came to define progressive rock 30 years earlier?

b) Please mention some of those "new Jazz artists of the era" (1999), because I'm not sure I know any.
    a) Porcupine Tree's starting off point was Pink Floyd. This is what I hear when I listen to their early work. Their middle period leaned a bit more in the direction of 80s Neo-Prog. After that there were lots of power chords and I stopped listening.

b) The Young Lions (who I first saw at Newport performing together). Every one of them sounded like it was perpetually 1965.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    The Young Lions (who I first saw at Newport performing together). Every one of them sounded like it was perpetually 1965.
    Not "New Jazz" at all, in other words. I certainly see what you mean. When the mandate of a given genre's idea is to actually create or evolve or develop, then adherence to present currents gets to be somewhat crucially defining for eventual success.

^ This is a discussion forum. Opinions are posed, questioned and challenged here. And then we may exchange insights, information and sentiments as to that discussion. For instance about what constitutes Scandinavian versus Nordic languages, like you did on first joining. Sometimes we are presented with rhetorical dilemmas which lead to temporary, lasting, mild or severe trauma when we somehow aren't able to oblige by producing or providing a reply which sufficiently serves our self-image. So we abstain and proclaim how we're not actually interested in discussion after all, how this or that participant is "bad" and how a comment was condescending and offending because that's how we felt it to be.

There is intimate life, even on the internet.

^ I now see how I misunderstood you entirely and thus also why you're pleased. References to Irish phrases always do the trick.

Except that bit about Stupid Dream as standard of measure as to what may denote "progressive rock" as of '99. Perhaps.