Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Romantic Warriors IV: Krautrock

Got mine yesterday. Now I just need to carve out some viewing time.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    "The future will be better tomorrow." Dan Quayle

Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    ^^^
    Me too! Will wait for the weekend to get into the right head space and zone in...
    The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year — the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

So jealous of you folks. Not received mine yet. Hopefully it arrives in time for the weekend.

Got mine in the mail yesterday. Had the chance to watch about a half hour of it so far. It is another fantastic production. Krautrock is something I am not all that familiar with, so most of the information so far is new to me.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Arrived today, waiting for an opportunity to watch it.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I'll watch it Friday on the big screen.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Hey, would one of you fellers who's received the movie like to fill out the Wikipedia page I started? I haven't received mine yet so I can't list the interviewees and summarize the "plot." I ordered the bundle, so I'm not sure, maybe both discs ship when the Special Features DVD ships in May?

Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    ^^^
    Hmmmm, I ordered the bundle and received disk 1 a few days ago.
    The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year — the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

Check out legendary Omaha musician Dereck Higgins' commentary of Part 1 of the Krautrock trilogy, while he discusses a few of the bands featured in the film, Kraftwerk, CAN, Neu!, La Düsseldorf, Faust, etc.!!! Visit https://www.progdocs.com for more info on the documentary series.

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Progmistress Rafaella Berry has posted a long review of RW4, which says in part:
    Although the deep poignancy that pervaded Canterbury Tales also emerges in Krautrock 1, the documentary never lingers too long on feelings of loss, but celebrates the unbounded vitality of the movement and its protagonists. In many ways, as the film shows with unrelenting clarity, Krautrock ran counter to the original prog movement, being closer in nature to punk and new wave than to Yes and ELP, though equally ambitious in its outspoken goal of creating a kind of music that was uniquely German. The film works both as an introduction for those who are still unfamiliar with the movement, and as a fascinating insight into its development for those who are already invested in it. Whether it will be enough to convert any unbelievers remains to be seen. In any case, even if the music may not be everyone’s cup of tea, Krautrock 1 is a must-see not only for fans of progressive music, but also for those interested in the history and culture of post-war Europe.
    Quote Originally Posted by siLLypuPPy at ProgArchives
    The next phase of the ROMANTIC WARRIORS universe comes in 2019 with the first of a planned trilogy of releases. ROMANTIC WARRIORS IV : KRAUTROCK, PART I starts the series by focusing on Krautrock that developed in the Cologne, Düsseldorf and Hamburg regions of Germany. The focus of these films is to highlight the bands that were innovative in the progressive rock scene and for the sake of not including every band that existed, the film opted to leave out bands that were more derivative of English prog and copycats of others. PART I captures many of the musicians who are still alive from Krautrock's early years and allows them to tell their stories while capturing some archival footage. Bands included on this first edition are Can, Faust, Kraftwerk, Floh de Cologne, Neu!, La Düsseldorf, Japandorf, Krautwerk, Electric Orange, Wume and the Damo Suzuki Network.

While there is never enough footage to satisfy the hardcore fans in these kinds of documentaries as i could personally watch entire documentaries for each of the bands involved, this is a very interesting journey into the greater depths of Germany's unique contribution to the progressive rock universe and no matter how much you thought you knew already about this vibrant movement that began in the 70s, ROMANTIC WARRIORS is guaranteed to reveal some of the long lost secrets that have been tucked away behind the scenes for many decades.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 1 Week Ago at 06:33 PM.

The "got Krautrock? Part 1" Special Features DVD is an addendum to the 2019 feature-length documentary "Romantic Warriors IV - Krautrock Part 1" DVD. The film was written and directed by Adele Schmidt and José Zegarra Holder, and was released in the United States by Zeitgeist Media last April. The Special Features DVD consists of additional material filmed during the making of, but not used in, the original Romantic Warriors IV Part 1. The DVD features 3 hours of live performance videos by five of the bands that appear in the original film, followed by 80 minutes of additional interview clips of people interviewed in the first Romantic Warriors IV of the Krautrock Trilogy. Available for pre-order at https://www.progdocs.com/pre-order Release date: May 30th, 2019
    BAND PERFORMANCES: Krautwerk, Wume, faUSt, Electric Orange, Damo Suzuki’s Network
    FEATURED INTERVIEW CLIPS: Wolfgang Flür, Irmin Schmidt, Jaki Liebezeit, Malcolm Mooney, Jean-Hervé Péron

I placed an order a while back but still haven't received anything. Maybe my neighbor stole it? No they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Maybe my neighbor stole it?
    Is his name Jarod Schreckberger?!

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by progdocs View Post
    egendary Omaha musician Dereck Higgins' commentary
    Practically everything he posts is to some extent worthwhile.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM