Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Santana - Caravanserai

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    And yet, they're debut album is as jazzy as it ever came from them, maybe because Dunbar was coming from Zappa at the time.
    From his playing I would guess Neal Schon listened to some Mahavishnu. And he did one or two duo albums with Jan Hammer in the 80's.

Playing Moonflower again, it's better than I remembered it being- there's still some fire in the playing. Was there a reason why studio and live were mixed together? I'm scared to venture beyond it though, and I certainly can't stand that late 90s/early 00s stuff.

Genesis-related trivia; Phil Collins has said that 'Promise Of A Fisherman' inspired 'Los Endos'. '...Fisherman' is one of the very best Santana tracks, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Playing Moonflower again, it's better than I remembered it being- there's still some fire in the playing. Was there a reason why studio and live were mixed together?
    Couldn't sequence them together to fit on four sides of vinyl? I tried a rearrangement some time ago but can't remember what conclusion I came to!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Playing Moonflower again, it's better than I remembered it being- there's still some fire in the playing. Was there a reason why studio and live were mixed together? I'm scared to venture beyond it though, and I certainly can't stand that late 90s/early 00s stuff.
    I assume it was all mixed together as some sort of "concept."

If you like Moonflower, then you'll probably like the three studio albums that came after it: Inner Secrets, Marathon, and Zebop!. Those albums get criticized frequently, but I'm not really sure why. Santana's quality didn't take a big dip IMHO until after Shango. It felt like he lost focus after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Miciah View Post
    I can totally understand why people associate this with summertime, though it was released in the fall.

I still vividly remember the first time I heard it. When this came out in 1972, I was 16 and staying at a farmhouse in the country. The FM station I was listening to back then announced that it would play "the new Santana album" all the way through at midnight. My portable radio was a large multi-band box monstrosity of a thing, finished in fake alligator hide. The audio jack in the radio was a single channel ear phone jack. When you plugged in the ear phone, it would cut off the sound to the radio's speaker. However, I had discovered that if I didn't push the jack all the way into the hole, the speaker wouldn't cut out, but you would still get sound through the ear phone. Voilą - stereo! So at midnight I was laying in bed in the dark with the radio speaker against one ear and the ear phone jack in the other.

Particularly in the musical context of the previous three albums (which I also love), Caravanserai blew me away.
    [emoji108][emoji4]

Wysłane z mojego SM-G935F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    to my ears, Welcome is like the twin brother to Caravanserai
    I'm agre

Wysłane z mojego SM-G935F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Just bought this from the local store for 5 euros, the american vinyl in good condition. It is Santana's masterpiece in my opinion.

This is actually the only Santana album I own (though I've heard everything up through Moonflower and have heard a couple of the more recent ones). It's a masterpiece for sure.