Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Santana - Caravanserai

Santana - Caravanserai

I figure that most of the folks who open this thread love this classic album of Progressive Latin Rock music...

BUT

has anyone else noticed the botched job they did on the 2004 remaster?
    I'm shocked at how poorly the mastering of this iteration is
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I've never heard that one. Besides my original album, I have the Columbia CD from 1990 and the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab SACD hybrid from 2011. If someone has a better sounding CD version than those, I'd be interested in knowing about it.

so, I'm guessing that the MFSL SACD is probably the best one...

what I've noticed is that on the first 2 pieces on the album the audible ultra low end is ridiculously hot almost to the point of distortion.Then the rest of the album until the last piece has moderate to weak low end. Then the last piece on the album has a complete absence of low end. And this is supposedly "remastered" in 2004. The volume levels also vary wildly from track to track. What a disaster
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

The hot humid Caravanserai visits my turntable every three months. Feels like a Summer album to me.

I've got the Japanese stereo SACD from SME Records (1999), which sounds fine with me and has a beautiful cover: https://www.discogs.com/Santana-Cara...elease/1866283

I only have the original Sony cd and vinyl. My cd sounds fine so I’ve never purchased any other version. Santana’s masterpiece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an LP from the 80's. Considering how long the sides are and how busy some of the music is, it sounds good. Haven't felt a need to get another version, although it is a great album.

A great summertime album!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I can totally understand why people associate this with summertime, though it was released in the fall.

I still vividly remember the first time I heard it. When this came out in 1972, I was 16 and staying at a farmhouse in the country. The FM station I was listening to back then announced that it would play "the new Santana album" all the way through at midnight. My portable radio was a large multi-band box monstrosity of a thing, finished in fake alligator hide. The audio jack in the radio was a single channel ear phone jack. When you plugged in the ear phone, it would cut off the sound to the radio's speaker. However, I had discovered that if I didn't push the jack all the way into the hole, the speaker wouldn't cut out, but you would still get sound through the ear phone. Voilà - stereo! So at midnight I was laying in bed in the dark with the radio speaker against one ear and the ear phone jack in the other.

Particularly in the musical context of the previous three albums (which I also love), Caravanserai blew me away.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic333 View Post
    A great summertime album!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    The hot humid Caravanserai visits my turntable every three months. Feels like a Summer album to me.
    I also feel like it's a pure summer album, but not a humid one... As the artwork suggests this is more of a desert Arid Zone (Arizona) album

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I've got the Japanese stereo SACD from SME Records (1999), which sounds fine with me and has a beautiful cover: https://www.discogs.com/Santana-Cara...elease/1866283
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I only have the original Sony cd and vinyl. My cd sounds fine so I’ve never purchased any other version. Santana’s masterpiece.
    I'd have to check out that SACD (but it's probably OOP), because I only have the first CD and the vinyl (dating from the early 80's), but if I could find a Mini-Lp version with excellent sonics, I'd probably get rid of my CD copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Miciah View Post
    I can totally understand why people associate this with summertime, though it was released in the fall.

Particularly in the musical context of the previous three albums (which I also love), Caravanserai blew me away.
    Yeah, but if released in the fall, it was recorded in the summer

And though I was a bit late on Santana (as a teen I got the first three in the later 70's), when I brought home Caranvanserai, it blew me away to pieces... Within weeks I was into Bitches Brew and Birds Of Fire and months into A Love Supreme and Black Saint & Lady Sinner.

Too bad that only Borboletta comes (somewhat) close to this absolute gem.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I only bought this album maybe 15 years ago. It's good but it never really knocked me over like the first 3 Santana band albums.. Caravanserai, Welcome, Borboletta are good albums but it's just not the same Santana to me. These albums have some jammy, fusiony tracks but there's also some forgettable tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I only bought this album maybe 15 years ago. It's good but it never really knocked me over like the first 3 Santana band albums.. Caravanserai, Welcome, Borboletta are good albums but it's just not the same Santana to me. These albums have some jammy, fusiony tracks but there's also some forgettable tracks.
    Welcome is awesome. Nothing forgettable on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    only Borboletta comes (somewhat) close to this absolute gem.
    to my ears, Welcome is like the twin brother to Caravanserai

^ Really? That's probably why I'm not blown away by Caravanserai, I find Welcome kind of bland. I actually like Borboletta and Amigos more than Welcome and Caravanserai. Well, it's been a few years since I've listened to my Santana albums. The last album I heard was IV a while back. That album is about 50% good/great and 50% forgettable.

I listened twice this morning, and maybe listen again. What an absolutely amazing record. How directly strikes center of the heart. Dionysian wisdom that is transformed into love. All the love of the universe.

Santana is so good that we almost forget how good he is. Like a tree, or a flower, or a person we say hello to almost everyday, because we have to, and yet were never intimate to.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Welcome is awesome. Nothing forgettable on that one.
    I find it quite a disappointment: only two excellent tracks: Flame-Sky and LD&S... The bonus track is also remlativetly good... The rest of the tracks are announing what's to come in Festival and Amigos, IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    to my ears, Welcome is like the twin brother to Caravanserai
    Well, calling it a twin would put it at the same level as Catranserai, which it clearly isn't

I said about Boboletta that it was Caravanserai's little sister. Nuance, mon cher.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    ^ Really? That's probably why I'm not blown away by Caravanserai, I find Welcome kind of bland. I actually like Borboletta and Amigos more than Welcome and Caravanserai. Well, it's been a few years since I've listened to my Santana albums.
    Welcome is somewhat as bland as its artwork is, but eventually, relisten to the three tracks I spoke about above.

But I'd really re-listen to Caravanserai, thinking more of Bitches Brew and Birds Of Fire or even one of Hancock's Mwandishi albums...

Sure, it's not really "songs like the first three albums, and the group was on the verge of breaking up (it had already come close to while recording S3), but this situation really provoked something grander

Or something slightly different, Carlos & Alice (Coltrane) - Illuminations, though the string arrangements might put you off a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I listened twice this morning, and maybe listen again. What an absolutely amazing record. How directly strikes center of the heart. Dionysian wisdom that is transformed into love. All the love of the universe.
    There is something close to musical perfection and universal infinity... Maybe the most spritual album without pronouncing anything religious.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I found I really dig Caravansarai but have yet to really connect with Welcome in any meaningful way. When I think about it, I think the songwriting is weaker on Welcome. YMMV.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

RYM and Discogs doesn't show a 2004 re-issue. Mine is 2003 Sony Legacy but I didn't notice any problems with the sound.
    In my opinion an absolute masterpiece by the way.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    RYM and Discogs doesn't show a 2004 re-issue. Mine is 2003 Sony Legacy but I didn't notice any problems with the sound.
    is that one claimed to be a remaster? I bought mine in 04... thought it was brand new

perhaps my subwoofer is just too good... what I've noticed is that on the first 2 pieces on the album the audible ultra low end is ridiculously hot almost to the point of distortion.Then the rest of the album until the last piece has moderate to weak low end. Then the last piece on the album has a complete absence of low end.

No problem with the sound on the 2003 Sony issue. Still hold the original vinyl and played both back-to-back and didn't notice something off-puting with the remaster.

By the way, best Santana band studio album to my ears.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I find it quite a disappointment: only two excellent tracks: Flame-Sky and LD&S... The bonus track is also remlativetly good... The rest of the tracks are announing what's to come in Festival and Amigos, IMHO
    I like "Yours Is The Light," and "When I Look Into Your Eyes" is a good pop song. The album is oddly low on Carlos's guitar, for my tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    is that one claimed to be a remaster? I bought mine in 04... thought it was brand new

perhaps my subwoofer is just too good... what I've noticed is that on the first 2 pieces on the album the audible ultra low end is ridiculously hot almost to the point of distortion.Then the rest of the album until the last piece has moderate to weak low end. Then the last piece on the album has a complete absence of low end.
    According to RYM it is the first remaster so you must have the Sony one too.
    I should have a more careful listen.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    No problem with the sound on the 2003 Sony issue. Still hold the original vinyl and played both back-to-back and didn't notice something off-puting with the remaster.

By the way, best Santana band studio album to my ears.
    Agreed, to my ears their best album. Love the cover art too.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

According to RYM it is the first remaster so you must have the Sony one too.
    I should have a more careful listen.
    the issue is probably not audible without a good quality subwoofer

Borboletta is excellent too, reaching Caravanserai ecstasy in places - Promise of a Fisherman or Aspirations are both amazing. This combined with some more straightforward, beautiful songs.

Welcome is less successful imo.