Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Def Leppard

The New Wave of British Heavy Metal phenomenon was the last gust of fresh air for old, classic hard rock. Def Leppard started with aspirations of becoming the new UFO or Thin Lizzy and in an incredibly short span of time they had already turned into pop-primadonnas. Big labels started signing these new-metal bands, but only with the precondition they sold their soul to the dollar. Be like Def Leppard or Iron Maiden (who by the time of Peace of Mind had already turned into caricatures of themselves). That was the end of the whole movement, which musically was far more diverse and interesting than what's thought.

At least bands like Motley Crue never posed for anything more than an Alice Cooper/Aerosmith/New York Dolls party-metal band. And they were good at it. There, I said it! I like them!

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    At least bands like Motley Crue never posed for anything more than an Alice Cooper/Aerosmith/New York Dolls party-metal band. And they were good at it. There, I said it! I like them!
    I like 'em too. I heard Theater Of Pain yesterday. It's as good as Girls, Girls, Girls.

Ah man... With the exception of "Dr. Feelgood", I was never a fan of Motley Crue. I couldn't understand the appeal, but that's just me. I know lots of people who do like them!

I usually enjoyed the Pyromania and Hysteria hits when they came on the radio (unlike the Bon Jovi hits, phooey!). But the overplay phenomenon kicked it, and I never really wanted to hear any of them again after 1990 or so. Of course, now it's been so long I might actually enjoy them again...

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I do like Hysteria and Pyromania but I know nothing after that, beyond the odd hit here and there. Never felt the need to go further either.

Great riff on 'Gods Of War'.
    I remember Let's Get Rocked, which a decent song. And there was a ballad, not even a power ballad, but like a proper MOR ballad...I think it was called Two Steps Back or somethign like that. It wasl ike they realized they were no longer welcome in rock music circles (thanks to the "alternative" insurrection), so they went full tilt AC or whatever. That was 94 already.

The only thing I've seen/heard since then was their VH-1 Storytellers show, where they explained they never play anything from the first album because "Phil and Vivian don't know the songs" (Actually, Phil had to play at least a couple of those songs on the Pyromania tour, so he has learned at least those ones) and Viv had to learn the entire damn setlist before the start of the Adrenalize tour, so that logic doesn't make any sense. Then he added that, if they did play Wasted or Rock Brigade or Hello America, you'd get like a couple hundredpeople going "ALRIGHT!!" and 10,000 people going "What the frell is this?!". OK, so for 4 minutes of a show, you've got 10,000 poseurs scratching their heads. SO WHAT?! Seems like a reasonable trade off to me, for regurgitating the same old hits for the rest of the show (note I believe I have read that sometime within th elast the decade, they have played a couple songs off On Through The Night, but only sporadically).

The New Wave of British Heavy Metal phenomenon was the last gust of fresh air for old, classic hard rock. Def Leppard started with aspirations of becoming the new UFO or Thin Lizzy and in an incredibly short span of time they had already turned into pop-primadonnas. Big labels started signing these new-metal bands, but only with the precondition they sold their soul to the dollar. Be like Def Leppard or Iron Maiden (who by the time of Peace of Mind had already turned into caricatures of themselves). That was the end of the whole movement, which musically was far more diverse and interesting than what's thought.

Leppard were the Big Noise in the NWOBHM - and then came 'On Through The Night', and a crashing disappointment it was too, all that promise wrapped up into a smooth little pill prescribed for the US...

I tried to listen to On Through The Night today. I got as far as Hello America. What a lame album. I'd rather hear Judas Priest......

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    The only "pop metal" act worth a damn in my book. Glossy but they could write a hook. I have the first four on CD but it's been awhile since I've spun them. I prefer On Through the Night because Mutt hadn't sanded off all the edges.
    Precisly why I think High 'N Dry is their finest hour. Superb from beginning to end! Better songwriting, and they still had that edge. "On Through the Night" is one of their best songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I tried to listen to On Through The Night today. I got as far as Hello America. What a lame album. I'd rather hear Judas Priest......
    The second album, dude. Move on to the second album.

great band......... then Steve Clark died.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    great band......... then Steve Clark died.
    Yeah, that's kinda it, in'nit?

aren't they the band with the one-arm drummer (they kept him after his accident)?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

As I was deeply into NWOBHM, I got "On Through the Night" upon release. I was instantly disappointed at their watered-down Zeppelin/UFO style and their radio-friendly aspirations and sold the album soon after. Don't forget that this was the year of Di'Anno fronted debut from Iron Maiden, Saxon's anthemic "Wheels of Steel", Tygers Of Pan Tang's "Wild Cat", Fist's "Turn The Hell On", "Ace of Spades", etc. Talking 'bout really wimp stuff from these Leppard boys. Never gave them a second chance.
    Last edited by spacefreak; 07-16-2018 at 05:44 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    aren't they the band with the one-arm drummer (they kept him after his accident)?
    Indeed they are.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    As I was deeply into NWOBHM, I got "On Through the Night" upon release. I was instantly disappointed at their watered-down Zeppelin/UFO style and their radio-friendly aspirations and sold the album soon after. Don't forget that this was the year of Di'Anno fronted debut from Iron Maiden, Saxon's anthemic "Wheels of Steel", Tygers Of Pan Tang's "Wild Cat", Fist's "Turn The Hell On", "Ace of Spades", etc. Talking 'bout really wimp stuff from these Leppard boys. Never gave them a second chance.
    Well, I don't think it's that bad of course it's not anywhere near the names you're giving (and there are dozens of others.) Wasted, Getcha Rocks off are cool songs.

At least compared to Hysteria it's heavier than a mammoth!

I was working on a radio station when the debut album came out, and I have to admit we were all pretty geeked by it and thought it was great. I never bought it, but borrowed it from the station a time or two for a listen and thought it was all pretty cool coming from these young kids from England. I also though "High And Dry" was a pretty solid effort as well. After that it gets spotty for me. There are songs on their really popular albums that I like, and songs that I don't particularly care for.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    They were one of my all-time favorite bands for a long time. They lost me after "Adrenalize," but I did like "Euphoria." The song "Day After Day" is a great throwback to the "Pyromania" days.

If you haven't heard the EP yet, you're missing out on "Ride Into the Sun." It's a total, hard rock smoker. The re-recorded version they did as a "Hysteria" B-side (and later with a piano intro on "Retro-Active") is even better. Speaking of "Hysteria" B-sides, "Tear It Down" has always been a favorite of mine. It was the B-side to the "Women" single. It was re-recorded for "Adrenalize," but that version pales in comparison to the original. Def Leppard even opened the 1988 MTV Music Awards with it. Pretty cool actually.
    Chad

Hysteria is classic - they are a great band and deserve all their success and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post

If you haven't heard the EP yet, you're missing out on "Ride Into the Sun." It's a total, hard rock smoker. The re-recorded version they did as a "Hysteria" B-side (and later with a piano intro on "Retro-Active") is even better. Speaking of "Hysteria" B-sides, "Tear It Down" has always been a favorite of mine. It was the B-side to the "Women" single. It was re-recorded for "Adrenalize," but that version pales in comparison to the original. Def Leppard even opened the 1988 MTV Music Awards with it. Pretty cool actually.
    Right, I remember the MTV Video Awards thing, always thought it was a cool song. That's why I made mention of it in my first post. Actually, all of those B-sides are pretty good. Well, maybe not Release Me, but it is good for a few yucks.

As for the original EP, I have to buy a 3" CD adapter before I can play that.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Right, I remember the MTV Video Awards thing, always thought it was a cool song. That's why I made mention of it in my first post. Actually, all of those B-sides are pretty good. Well, maybe not Release Me, but it is good for a few yucks.
    Agreed. The Hysteria b-sides were very good. "Release Me" was a remake and just the band goofing around. Some of the Adrenalize b-sides were good too. Most of this stuff showed up on "Retro-active."
    Chad

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    I have always had a soft spot for these guys. Don't like much after Hysteria and only like a little bit of that one. Pyromania was pretty much the soundtrack for my summer of '83. I wore that sucker out.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I'm going to see Def Leppard with Journey in a month.

Happy Birthday Joe Elliott - 59 yrs old today
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor