Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with a Musical Challenge

Banned

Help with a Musical Challenge

I have been challenged to come up with "a highly distinguished musical masterpiece composed and performed in the last 3 years that has hit the mainstream".

I came up empty to be honest. Any ideas?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I have been challenged to come up with "a highly distinguished musical masterpiece composed and performed in the last 3 years that has hit the mainstream".

Does whoever challenged you know that such a masterpiece exists?

It had better not be "Hamilton!'

"Hamilton" was workshopped in 2013. It falls outside the parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    "Hamilton" was workshopped in 2013. It falls outside the parameters.
    Only some of it was. Let's argue the shit out of this...

Well, that would have to be 'Live it Up'. The 2018 World Cup theme song.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Only some of it was. Let's argue the shit out of this...
    I'll take the shit position, even having only heard brief bits on TV.

I can't think of any good reason ever to hit the Play button on a video with "feat." in the artist's name.

I think I'd be hard pressed with the challenge to come up with "a highly distinguished musical masterpiece composed and performed in the last 3 years that has hit the mainstream".

Banned
    Does whoever challenged you know that such a masterpiece exists?
    Nope, just a friend that's doesn't like my musical snobbery - i.e. remarks to the effect that popular music these days is crap and not what it was in the 60s or 70s. You know typical old man prog curmudgeon stuff...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I think I'd be hard pressed with the challenge to come up with "a highly distinguished musical masterpiece composed and performed in the last 3 years that has hit the mainstream".
    Right. I think it may be a fool's errand. Maybe if we opened it up to 10 years?

Nope, just a friend that's doesn't like my musical snobbery - i.e. remarks to the effect that popular music these days is crap and not what it was in the 60s or 70s. You know typical old man prog curmudgeon stuff...
    I don't get it - isn't he helping you make your point?

Banned
    ^^^
    Sorry I'm not being clear. Those were my remarks that were taken as snobbery. Capiche?

I would reply, however in the last thread where this very sort of topic was applied, I too was accused of snobbery and the thread was locked. Therefore, I must assume that offering a well-informed musical opinion is not the preferred means of discussion here, particularly when denigrating songs that require numerous producers, samples, auto-tuners and a limited amount of actual musicians. We mustn't hurt the children's feelings.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

^^^
    Sorry I'm not being clear. Those were my remarks that were taken as snobbery. Capiche?
    No, I think you were clear. What I mean is, if you're not able to come up with "a highly distinguished musical masterpiece composed and performed in the last 3 years that has hit the mainstream," doesn't that prove your point - that there's no really good pop music coming out now?" Or is his stance that pop music doesn't need to be that great to be successful (and good enough for him)?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I can't think of any good reason ever to hit the Play button on a video with "feat." in the artist's name.
    LOL - me either!

When did "Gangnam Style" come out?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    No, I think you were clear. What I mean is, if you're not able to come up with "a highly distinguished musical masterpiece composed and performed in the last 3 years that has hit the mainstream," doesn't that prove your point - that there's no really good pop music coming out now?" Or is his stance that pop music doesn't need to be that great to be successful (and good enough for him)?
    Gotcha. The gist of it was this: if I think all the pop music coming out is doggie-doo, what is coming out other than the esoteric weird shit that I listen to - more mainstream - that I would consider up to my assholly standards.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    I would reply, however in the last thread where this very sort of topic was applied, I too was accused of snobbery and the thread was locked. Therefore, I must assume that offering a well-informed musical opinion is not the preferred means of discussion here, particularly when denigrating songs that require numerous producers, samples, auto-tuners and a limited amount of actual musicians. We mustn't hurt the children's feelings.
    Funny you should mention that! I had remarked to the instigator of said challenge that the track he had played (I think it was by Drake) sounded like over-produced, auto-tuned crapola.

IMO we should feel free to have heated arguments over music (not politics - apparently some members are snowflakes that like clown-fascists) without fear of censorship, but snowflakes abound...

I'm not a fan, but I know that Kendrick Lamar is very respected. I don't know that he won't appeal to many here, but that doesn't necessarily detract from it's impact.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'd love to know by what musical standard he considers any of his favorite 60s/70s rock albums to be "musical masterpieces."

What I'd like to know is what happened 4 years ago to stem the tide of highly distinguished musical masterpieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'm not a fan, but I know that Kendrick Lamar is very respected. I don't know that he won't appeal to many here, but that doesn't necessarily detract from it's impact.
    Beat me to it, almost word for word.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Beat me to it, almost word for word.
    Mostly me as well. I own 'To Pimp a Butterfly' but it hasn't yet really connected with me (I still try from time to time). But, he seems to be a reasonable intersection of "critically respected," "musically innovative," and "commercially successful."

Caveat: the above was released in March 2015, so if we're being hardcore anal about things, that's just over 3 years.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

David Bowie's Blackstar