Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Haken / Leprous / Bent Knee North American tour Fall 2018

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    I will be going to primarily see Bent Knee (for 3rd time), but it appears they are the first band playing, so they probably won't get more than 45 min, maybe an hour at most, which is a bummer. Don't know anything about other 2 bands, will stay to see if I like any of it. I'm sure I will see progholio there.
    Haken is more on the prog metal side, but they are great live. Leporus I have not seen, but own two albums by them and enjoy them both. All 3 bands are quite different from each other.

I could possibly make it: 11/09 Fort Lauderdale, FL – Revolution but I don't want to go alone. I live up in the Treasure Coast, met a couple at the Stuart Sunday marina jam ~ Gravatron, nice meeting a prog fan. Hmm well I'll check my inbox or if anyone is local you can PM me. I just want to meet people that love music, but I'm still broke so can't really get out much.

Halloween in Toronto...what could be more appropriate!

Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    Halloween in Toronto...what could be more appropriate!
    Nice!.. not coming to Ottawa, of course. Would have been rocked to see Raph (cellist) in his hometown as it were. And yes I know they are in Montréal, but my days of 5 hour commute at 2:00 am are behind me.

Enjoy the show.

edit and before you say it's only 3 hours to Montréal, you haven't driven there lately have you?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markinottawa View Post
    Nice!.. not coming to Ottawa, of course. Would have been rocked to see Raph (cellist) in his hometown as it were. And yes I know they are in Montréal, but my days of 5 hour commute at 2:00 am are behind me.

Enjoy the show.
    Ditto to all the points.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Boston gig now sold out.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    I'm sure I will see progholio there.

Aye mate!

Are you doing either the Wildey shows this week (Carl Palmer, Martin Barre)?

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    Aye mate!

Are you doing either the Wildey shows this week (Carl Palmer, Martin Barre)?
    Yep, I'll be at both. I've literally destroyed my prog budget for the year just in this last month with ProgStock and Progtoberfest, so what's a few more shows....

Back from the Halloween show in Toronto and it was fan-f***ing-TASTIC. Every band was in great form and very impressive. All were very warmly received, and the crowd was particularly frenzied for Haken (an almost non-stop mosh pit? Really?!)

I believe it was mentioned early on that seeing Leprous would make a fan out of me, and that person was right - I was happy to hear quite a few tracks from Melina, and now I'll be investigating the setlist online once it is posted, to explore those albums further. And I'll also be on a Haken kick now, as the tracks from the new album were terrific - and that encore! Wow! I met Charlie before the show and asked him how much money he wanted to play my favourite track *, taking my wallet out and showing him multiple bills. He said I didn't have to pay him, he'd love to play it, but I'd have to talk to the other guys in the band if I wanted it back in the set. You can't win 'em all.

Bent Knee can do no wrong in my book. I loved finally getting to see them, and seeing the energy they have on stage first hand. They played two new tracks (presumably from their next album) to close the set. I could have watched them for another 90 mins.

All in all... $35 for a four hour show featuring three great bands in their prime? I'll take that any day over $150 tickets to see a nostalgia act.

* - song name not included to rule out spoilers.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I also just got back from the Toronto show:

I thought Bent Knee was a mismatched band for the show, but they rocked harder and louder than other times I've seen them. I mean they RAWKED hard. They blew me away again but Inn a different way this time.

In was hoping to like Leprous, but They were just OK to me. I thought too often they sounded like a lead singer and a back up band. I also thought each musician's sound took up too much space and they overlapped each other to where no instrument was well defined. Because if this, a lot of the songs sounded very samey.

Everything I didn't like about Leprous was correctly done by Haken. There sound was great allowing a thorough pummeling of the senses. They sounded like a band and the sum of the parts is great but the whole was a juggernaught. They are a band at the top of their game.

Glad you enjoyed it. I have 12 days left and counting...

I'm always surprised when my favorite band isn't everyone else's favorite band, but that's why there is more than one band in the world.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Bent Knee were excellent as usual, enjoyed the new material in a short 30 minute set. Had never heard Leprous before, they were good in a crunchy sort of way and I always like cello, maybe went a bit long for a support act. Bought the new CD. Haken were a disappointment again after failing to connect at Rosfest, pretty much everything I hate about this kind of music, left after 2 songs. First 2 bands made it a good night out.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Bent Knee were excellent as usual, enjoyed the new material in a short 30 minute set. Had never heard Leprous before, they were good in a crunchy sort of way and I always like cello, maybe went a bit long for a support act. Bought the new CD. Haken were a disappointment again after failing to connect at Rosfest, pretty much everything I hate about this kind of music, left after 2 songs. First 2 bands made it a good night out.
    Leprous and Haken were co-headlining... that really sucks that Bent Knee only got 30 minutes! In their hometown? Even in Toronto we got 45.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

It was a great show last night in Dallas. Really glad I went. I had been listening to Haken pretty extensively since this show was announced (bought the entire catalog) so was pretty familiar with those songs. Leprous and Bent Knee I went in pretty much blind. All 3 bands really brought it! Bent Knee set was maybe a little too short, 1 or 2 more songs would have been nice. Leprous is an amazing live act - the drummer is outstanding. They were a tough act to follow but Haken were fantastic as well. Vector has some very strong songs on it - "Puzzle Box" and "Nil by Mouth" were intense!!

Kudos to InsideOut for putting this show on the road and supporting these bands.

Also special kudos to Dallas for a very good turnout last night. It was an outdoor show in below freezing temps! The Leprous singer joked that it was the first time he ever had to wear a scarf on stage and he is Norwegian! All the musicians were pretty bundled up but still managed to play these tricky songs.

Catch this show if it comes near you!

ARGH!!! I just turned down a FREE ticket to that show because it was on a Tuesday! I wish I was tougher...haha!

Tonight for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    It was a great show last night in Dallas. Really glad I went. I had been listening to Haken pretty extensively since this show was announced (bought the entire catalog) so was pretty familiar with those songs. Leprous and Bent Knee I went in pretty much blind. All 3 bands really brought it! Bent Knee set was maybe a little too short, 1 or 2 more songs would have been nice. Leprous is an amazing live act - the drummer is outstanding. They were a tough act to follow but Haken were fantastic as well. Vector has some very strong songs on it - "Puzzle Box" and "Nil by Mouth" were intense!!

Kudos to InsideOut for putting this show on the road and supporting these bands.

Also special kudos to Dallas for a very good turnout last night. It was an outdoor show in below freezing temps! The Leprous singer joked that it was the first time he ever had to wear a scarf on stage and he is Norwegian! All the musicians were pretty bundled up but still managed to play these tricky songs.

Catch this show if it comes near you!
    Someone posted a clip of Bent Knee on Facebook this morning. Looked like they were playing in Michigan with the temperatures!