Page 303 of 394 FirstFirst ... 203253293299300301302303304305306307313353 ... LastLast
Results 7,551 to 7,575 of 9828

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Ran across Carrie today and watched most of it since I hadn't seen it in a really long time. Wow. I never realized how low budget it was.

But here is some trivia I learned while watching it:

William Katt, the guy who played Tommy who took Carrie to the prom, was also the lead in the TV show Greatest American Hero. What I really found interesting, tho, is that he's Barbara Hale's son. She was a real looker in her day and played Della Street on Perry Mason:

6466afa11323ff7d0190dd5604cea538--perry-mason-vintage-tv.jpg

The guy who played the English teacher, Mr Fromm, was Sydney Lassick. I recognized him immediately as one of the patients in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest; specifically, Cheswick:

Cheswick-One-Flew-Over-the-Cuckoos-Nest.jpg

Two phrases I thought were coined much much later were in that movie: "get 'er done" and "no harm, no foul". I actually had to rewind the movie to see if I heard correctly.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I've always loved Carrie, especially Piper Laurie's performance.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Saw it last night and despite its flaws I really liked it.

Very Spielbergish but has it's own thing happening

Gordo the chimp scene makes my top ten terrifying horror movie scenes ever list.

Also M Night Shyamalan's Signs.
    Agree, the chimp scene would rank right up there for me too. Amazing film making, just not sure how it all fit. That could have been it's own film. Speaking of Spielberg this movie was basically a very similar plot to a Spielberg classic. I don't want to mention it because it may give too much away for those who have not seen "Nope", but I bet you can guess which film I am talking about. Also agree on the M. Night comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Agree, the chimp scene would rank right up there for me too. Amazing film making, just not sure how it all fit. That could have been it's own film. Speaking of Spielberg this movie was basically a very similar plot to a Spielberg classic. I don't want to mention it because it may give too much away for those who have not seen "Nope", but I bet you can guess which film I am talking about. Also agree on the M. Night comparison.
    Its not a spoiler, but Close Encounters and Jaws are obvious influences here

I think one of the messages was "don't mess with nature", i.e. horses, chimps and monsters
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Its not a spoiler, but Close Encounters and Jaws are obvious influences here

I think one of the messages was "don't mess with nature", i.e. horses, chimps and monsters
    "Jaws" was the film I was thinking of.

Anyone seen the movie "Nope" yet? Is it a big screen flick or wait for DVD or streaming?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Anyone seen the movie "Nope" yet? Is it a big screen flick or wait for DVD or streaming?
    It's been discussed right on this very page.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    We watched Dig with Ralph Fiennes. Interesting slow building story and top notch acting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    We enjoyed that one too. I do like a good character drama, probably more than any other type of film to be honest. And this one also has Lily James, who makes me all a-flutter.
    This has been on my "To Watch" list for a while. Maybe this weekend....
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Check out my mini-review in post #7543 and several reply threads afterwards. This movie was filmed using IMAX cameras so IMO that is the best way to see it (we saw it in IMA. If no IMAX available I would still say this is one to catch on the big screen.

After seeing the new Elvis movie a few weeks ago I decided to check out the HBO documentary “Elvis The Searcher” that came out a few years ago. It is very very well done and at 4 hours covers his whole career. I thought it was a nice companion piece to the movie.

We just watched The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent with Nick Cage. Hands down, the most entertaining movie I've seen this year.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    We just watched The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent with Nick Cage. Hands down, the most entertaining movie I've seen this year.
    Saw it in the theater when it came out and also enjoyed it a lot.

Sands of the Kalahari--a plane crashes in the Kalahari desert and the survivors try to live long enough to get rescued. Fairly predictable ending and not as good as the original Flight of the Phoenix, but worth a watch. Netflix physical disc

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    This has been on my "To Watch" list for a while. Maybe this weekend....
    Let us know what you think about it Scott. It's an extremely slow moving movie but the characters are all very rich in detail and Ralph was tour de force with this acting skills.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Grey Man , Netflix. Netflix financed spy adventure , Ryan Gosling , BB THorton. Big ,splashy and expensive. A little thin on plot , heavy on action set pieces. Probably looking for a Bond like franchise. The action is more unbelievale than a Bond movie. The main character is likable , overall entertaining for what it is. 7 of 10 bloated budjet blow em up movies.
    Last edited by nycsteve; 07-29-2022 at 06:29 AM.

Grey Man - yeah, they will likely get a mention on some awards show for the special action effects. What I didn't like about the movie was all the clicheyed script points. I won't go into them here because I don't want to spoil it for anyone who will see the flick, but so much of it has been done in so many other moview. Not a whole lot of originality on display. Plus, there was little to no emotional content from the main actors. Very robotic.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Empire Of The Sun - It's amazing a big budget movie that is centered around a 12 year old boy, Christine Bail. The story is epic and covers an important part of our history. It's a story of survival at the time of war. John Malcovich plays a likeable worm. The visuals are impressive. It has a happy ending, of course.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Saw Top Gun: Maverick the other day.

It's exactly what you think it is, and because of that, it's awesome, in its own way. Two hours of fan service, and some great footage of careening jets.

Predictable, cliched, but never boring. If you enjoyed the original, you should definitely enjoy this one.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I will be interested in hearing your thoughts when you see it. As I posted in my review earlier in this thread, I thought it was just ok.
    Finally saw this one last night -- we missed it at the Multiplex and waited until it came to the local arthouse.

With a day's rumination, I feel quite positive about it. While I was watching it, a lot of it seemed quite funny. The weird digestion chair, the obsession with the idea of growing new organs as art, Kristin Stewart's nervous intensity, the random gratuitous nudity, even the early shot of a child eating a plastic wastepaper basket, the phrase "I'm not much good at the old sex." It's so bizarre and over-the-top, and also so much a distillation of the ideas of earlier Cronenberg, that it makes the most sense to process it as humorous.

I don't think laughing is wrong, and I think like most Cronenberg it's meant to register as somewhat funny, but the humor can overshadow some of the more upsetting and poignant ideas about the complexity and fragility of the body. It felt quite funny at the time but has lingered in my mind as disturbing and sad in a more complex way, so the mix of tone is complex and effective.

The ending was interesting to me, in that -- and I'll try to make this vague to avoid spoilers -- but several things happen which in another movie would signal an impending climax, but instead the movie ends. It surprised me a bit at the time but it makes sense now in terms of being about the protagonist accepting the changes in the world and himself, and less about externalized action or conflict.

I've heard it criticized as a rehash of his classic work and that's not unfair, but I love his classic work enough to enjoy it, and the concerns still feel relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Empire Of The Sun - It's amazing a big budget movie that is centered around a 12 year old boy, Christine Bail. The story is epic and covers an important part of our history. It's a story of survival at the time of war. John Malcovich plays a likeable worm. The visuals are impressive. It has a happy ending, of course.
    It has been years since I have seen it, but I remember it being very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Saw Top Gun: Maverick the other day.

It's exactly what you think it is, and because of that, it's awesome, in its own way. Two hours of fan service, and some great footage of careening jets.

Predictable, cliched, but never boring. If you enjoyed the original, you should definitely enjoy this one.
    I pretty much agree with everything you say. I was no really expecting much but I ended up really enjoying it. Definitely one to see on a big screen if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post
    Finally saw this one last night -- we missed it at the Multiplex and waited until it came to the local arthouse.

With a day's rumination, I feel quite positive about it. While I was watching it, a lot of it seemed quite funny. The weird digestion chair, the obsession with the idea of growing new organs as art, Kristin Stewart's nervous intensity, the random gratuitous nudity, even the early shot of a child eating a plastic wastepaper basket, the phrase "I'm not much good at the old sex." It's so bizarre and over-the-top, and also so much a distillation of the ideas of earlier Cronenberg, that it makes the most sense to process it as humorous.

I don't think laughing is wrong, and I think like most Cronenberg it's meant to register as somewhat funny, but the humor can overshadow some of the more upsetting and poignant ideas about the complexity and fragility of the body. It felt quite funny at the time but has lingered in my mind as disturbing and sad in a more complex way, so the mix of tone is complex and effective.

The ending was interesting to me, in that -- and I'll try to make this vague to avoid spoilers -- but several things happen which in another movie would signal an impending climax, but instead the movie ends. It surprised me a bit at the time but it makes sense now in terms of being about the protagonist accepting the changes in the world and himself, and less about externalized action or conflict.

I've heard it criticized as a rehash of his classic work and that's not unfair, but I love his classic work enough to enjoy it, and the concerns still feel relevant.
    Interesting comments on the humor aspect of the film. I saw it with my wife and a friend of ours in a theater. Our friend laughed off and on through the whole things at things I did not necessarily take as humorous, but like you he thought much of the film was funny. I do get it, but it did not strike me in exactly the same way.

Regarding the ending, I think it could be taken two different ways. When the 3 of us left the theater 2 of us thought the ending meant one thing and the other something else. Hard to discuss without spoilers.

Anyway……it was certainly an interesting film.

Saw this one in the theater this afternoon. BJ Novak wrote, directed and produced it. Most you would probably know him from the TV series "The Office" and this is his first film. I really enjoyed this one and thought that especially for a first effort, this was an excellent film. It dragged a little bit in the middle, but overall would recommend this one.

Grey Man - yeah, they will likely get a mention on some awards show for the special action effects. What I didn't like about the movie was all the clicheyed script points. I won't go into them here because I don't want to spoil it for anyone who will see the flick, but so much of it has been done in so many other moview. Not a whole lot of originality on display. Plus, there was little to no emotional content from the main actors. Very robotic.
    My wife and I attempted to watch this one tonight. I agree with everything you say. It was like they tried to take every action movie cliche there is and put it into a movie. I kept dozing off and we ended up not even finishing it. Some will probably really like this film, but it did not do much for me.

Watched this 2021 film on Showtime On Demand this evening. Excellent Western with a twist.