Page 170 of 397 FirstFirst ... 70120160166167168169170171172173174180220270 ... LastLast
Results 4,226 to 4,250 of 9912

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Wow. I just realized The Christmas Story starts and ends with the same song. I've only seen this movie forty or fifty times by this point.

Fa ra ra ra ra, ra ra ra ra.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Saw Parasite.Dug it big time.

I give it nine out of ten steaming bowls of kimchi.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Watched Time Trap last night, very silly and pretty poorly acted.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Saw Parasite.Dug it big time.

I give it nine out of ten steaming bowls of kimchi.
    Another big thumbs up for Parasite. A couple of plot twists that no one saw coming.

In the Shadow of the Moon. On Netflix. Stars Boyd Holbrook (Narcos), Cleopatra Coleman (The Last Man on Earth), Bokeem Woodbine (Fargo - 2nd season), and Michael C. Hall (Dexter). Something about this movie felt more like a TV movie. Still, not a bad movie at all. Better than I thought it would be. And not quite what I thought the story would be, based on the summary on Netflix. Only gripe: having Holbrook wear what looks like a wig and fake beard. Has no one learned from Gettysburg?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

https://bloody-disgusting.com/editor...wXsF9XFTvTSAvY

Anyone need a holiday horror flick?
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    https://bloody-disgusting.com/editor...wXsF9XFTvTSAvY

Anyone need a holiday horror flick?
    You were lookin at me weren't ya? A Christmas Horror Story was a lot of fun in the same style as Trick R Treat
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    You were lookin at me weren't ya? A Christmas Horror Story was a lot of fun in the same style as Trick R Treat
    Well........yeah! Speaking of you, I just saw 6 Underground
    A Netflix original starring Ryan Reynolds and directed by Michael Bay. Most fun I have had with a movie in a long time. The action in the opening 15 minutes will leave
    you feeling like you just did an hour of cardio. TONS of action and a lot of humor makes this a must see. Really! Drop what you're doing and watch it now.

^ I saw the trailer and was a bit on the fence but based on your rec, I'll check it out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ I saw the trailer and was a bit on the fence but based on your rec, I'll check it out soon.

A Netflix original starring Ryan Reynolds and directed by Michael Bay. Most fun I have had with a movie in a long time. The action in the opening 15 minutes will leave
    you feeling like you just did an hour of cardio. TONS of action and a lot of humor makes this a must see. Really! Drop what you're doing and watch it now.
    I almost clicked on this one last night, but wasn't ready for an action flick. Instead I watched the first two episodes of The Witcher
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I was another one on the fence about this, but based on your review I am going to check it out once I finish Peaky Blinders.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Watched the Terry Pratchett/Neil Gaiman masterpiece Good Omens on DVD. Excellent. I had read the novel several years ago. Now I have to find some Queen music to listen to.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Re watched The French Connection (1971) and Unforgiven (1992).

Gene Hackmans best stuff !
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Watched the Terry Pratchett/Neil Gaiman masterpiece Good Omens on DVD. Excellent. I had read the novel several years ago. Now I have to find some Queen music to listen to.
    I borrowed the book from the library when it first came out. I think I only got about a quarter of the way through it before I had to return to it, though, and I never did reborrow it so I've never finished reading it. But I remember a few of the gags, like the explanation of the pre-decimalization British currency (with the note that the UK resisted decimalization for so long because "It would be too complicated to switch over") and the thing about every tape that gets left in a car eventually morphs into a copy of Queen's Greatest Hits. Also, the bit where angel says "What's a Velvet Underground", and the demon tells him, "You won't like it".

Anyone catch the remake of A Christmas Carol on FX? It takes place in the mid 19th century but they injected a contemporary sensibility into the story. I'm not sure what I thought of that because it gets little unpleasant in one part. They also changed the story, slightly; one scene in particular I really missed. But it was so well made and acted - Guy Pearce (LA Confidential, Memento, et al) deserves an Emmy - that I have to give it an A–. You can stream it on FX's website if you have a cable subscription.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Anyone catch the remake of A Christmas Carol on FX? It takes place in the mid 19th century but they injected a contemporary sensibility into the story. I'm not sure what I thought of that because it gets little unpleasant in one part. They also changed the story, slightly; one scene in particular I really missed. But it was so well made and acted - Guy Pearce (LA Confidential, Memento, et al) deserves an Emmy - that I have to give it an A–. You can stream it on FX's website if you have a cable subscription.
    We started that one last night, and are going to finish it tonight and tomorrow (Christmas eve). We decided to treat it as a three-part series. So far I'm really enjoying the different take on things. Marley being a much bigger character, Cratchit being a bit less meek, and Pearce's splendid new twist on Scrooge. It won't replace the original(s) for me, but it's nice to watch a slightly different version, it's very well done.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

We watched it too. It was interesting seeing a more modern and gritty approach to something usually coated in sugar. Guy Pearce and the woman who play Mary Cratchit were particularly good. I'm still on the fence as to how well this worked but it was fun to see someone do something new with the old story.

I did about lose my shit seeing that 30 second teaser about the new season of Fargo. That could be fun.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - finally got around to this one, recorded it from PPV (it's weird that you can do that, I now own a copy of it and it only cost me six bucks?) Well, Tarantino's last few films have not lived up to his initial five or six in my view, and this one is no different, although I think it might have more of a rewatchable factor than Django Unchained or The Hateful Eight (both of which I watched only once). Di Caprio is a great actor, but seems a bit over the top here. Pitt was great. Pacino seemed shoe-horned in to the movie. Margot Robbie is gorgeous as always. But the real problem here is that it really isn't much of a story. And to be honest, we've seen Tarantino's nods and homages to the past a zillion times now. We get it, the cans of beans and boxes of cereal looked different in his youth and he wants to recreate the look of the period as much as possible. But do we need endless shots of these things? Do we need to watch a character watch a TV show for minutes at a time? He gets too bogged down in that stuff now IMO, and I find it distracting. Tell the story, man. Don't get me wrong, it had some great scenes, some funny lines, etc. but as a complete film, it falls flat (just as the previous few have) to me.

The Man Who Invented Christmas - This is the second year in a row we watched this on Christmas eve, and it might be becoming our new tradition. A beautifully shot and wonderfully acted movie about Dickens finding the inspiration for one of his most classic novels. The entire cast is top notch, and Christopher Plummer shows what an amazing Scrooge he could have been, had he ever been given the opportunity to play the full role with all the classic lines (I always thought that anyway, and I'd also like to see Ian McKellan play the role). Dan Stevens is excellent as Dickens, and Jonathan Pryce is equally impressive (as always) as his father. High marks!

Downton Abbey (the movie) - We watched this after Christmas dinner. Very good, really just a long episode of the series. A bit heavy on the sentimentality at times, and characters getting together romantically sometimes seem a tad rushed, whereas over the course of a season it might have come across more natural. But a fine watch, and good to see those characters again, with a fun and mischievous sub-plot. Of course, Elizabeth McGovern again proves to be the (very) weak link in the otherwise outstanding cast IMO. Lovely music and scenery as always. It was a good choice for Christmas night.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The Two Popes (2019) on Netflix.

Some serious acting going on here by Anthony Hopkins and Johnathon Pryce.

Highly recommended!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    The Man Who Invented Christmas - This is the second year in a row we watched this on Christmas eve, and it might be becoming our new tradition. A beautifully shot and wonderfully acted movie about Dickens finding the inspiration for one of his most classic novels...
    I considered watching it but then also read something about some inaccuracies and lost interest.

...Christopher Plummer shows what an amazing Scrooge he could have been...
    I've long seen Plummer as, perhaps, cinema's most underrated actor. He was so good in Dolores Claiborne it surprised me. I had to revise my opinion of him. And he's been as good in everything I've seen him in since.

There's another actor of around the same age I also used to consider kind of a light weight until I saw him in his later years in The Ninth Gate: Frank Langella. Of all the movies I've seen him in, I'd say Frank & Robot is his best, which I also thought was the best movie of 2012. Not that I saw all of the biggies but it was certainly better than Argo, Zero Dark Thirty, or Django Unchained. How Langella was overlooked for even an Oscar nomination is beyond me. He, too, ranks as one of the most underrated.

Langella did get an Oscar nomination as best actor for Frost/Nixon. He was also tremendous as a spy handler in the TV series The Americans.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Just got back from Uncut Gems starring Adam Sandler.

NOT a comedy, instead an intense New York roller coaster ride crime drama.

Relentless and entertaining to the bitter end, directed by the talented brothers Josh and Benny Safdie.

The Safdie brothers also made the excellent New York crime thriller Good Time (2017) which is just as good as Uncut Gems.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - finally got around to this one, recorded it from PPV (it's weird that you can do that, I now own a copy of it and it only cost me six bucks?) Well, Tarantino's last few films have not lived up to his initial five or six in my view, and this one is no different, although I think it might have more of a rewatchable factor than Django Unchained or The Hateful Eight (both of which I watched only once). Di Caprio is a great actor, but seems a bit over the top here. Pitt was great. Pacino seemed shoe-horned in to the movie. Margot Robbie is gorgeous as always. But the real problem here is that it really isn't much of a story. And to be honest, we've seen Tarantino's nods and homages to the past a zillion times now. We get it, the cans of beans and boxes of cereal looked different in his youth and he wants to recreate the look of the period as much as possible. But do we need endless shots of these things? Do we need to watch a character watch a TV show for minutes at a time? He gets too bogged down in that stuff now IMO, and I find it distracting. Tell the story, man. Don't get me wrong, it had some great scenes, some funny lines, etc. but as a complete film, it falls flat (just as the previous few have) to me.

The Man Who Invented Christmas - This is the second year in a row we watched this on Christmas eve, and it might be becoming our new tradition. A beautifully shot and wonderfully acted movie about Dickens finding the inspiration for one of his most classic novels. The entire cast is top notch, and Christopher Plummer shows what an amazing Scrooge he could have been, had he ever been given the opportunity to play the full role with all the classic lines (I always thought that anyway, and I'd also like to see Ian McKellan play the role). Dan Stevens is excellent as Dickens, and Jonathan Pryce is equally impressive (as always) as his father. High marks!

Downton Abbey (the movie) - We watched this after Christmas dinner. Very good, really just a long episode of the series. A bit heavy on the sentimentality at times, and characters getting together romantically sometimes seem a tad rushed, whereas over the course of a season it might have come across more natural. But a fine watch, and good to see those characters again, with a fun and mischievous sub-plot. Of course, Elizabeth McGovern again proves to be the (very) weak link in the otherwise outstanding cast IMO. Lovely music and scenery as always. It was a good choice for Christmas night.
    Re Once Upon A time in Hollywood, I think its actually very typical of Tarantinos style. His films contain many, many long dialogue scenes that often impress and resonate more with successive viewings.

I also think the violence in his movies is always misrepresented...there is actually very little of it, but the media always focus on it. Indeed...Reservoir Dogs was largely a bunch of guys in a warehouse arguing.

I always find I enjoy his movies more with multiple viewings. The only two exceptions for me are Death Proof and Hateful Eight.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Re Once Upon A time in Hollywood, I think its actually very typical of Tarantinos style. His films contain many, many long dialogue scenes that often impress and resonate more with successive viewings.

I also think the violence in his movies is always misrepresented...there is actually very little of it, but the media always focus on it. Indeed...Reservoir Dogs was largely a bunch of guys in a warehouse arguing.

I always find I enjoy his movies more with multiple viewings. The only two exceptions for me are Death Proof and Hateful Eight.
    I agree