Page 211 of 394 FirstFirst ... 111161201207208209210211212213214215221261311 ... LastLast
Results 5,251 to 5,275 of 9828

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    No, it did not.
    Kind made it hard to watch the movie. I was a little distracted.

Speaking of hot chick, there was a close up of Nicole Kidman in The Undoing recently and she has flawless skin, just amazing. What the hell she was doing with Tom Cruise all those years ago escapes me as he's nuttier than, well, nuts. Neither here nor there.

It's A Very Muppet Christmas Movie. Amazon only has this as a Prime and I want my own copy. Any thoughts? I found one site, retrotv or something that has it but I can't buy it without sending them cash. I really want this but damn, it's hard to find. It's not owned by Disney, it's NBC, so there must be some reason there for it to be so rare.

I did pick up The Muppet Christmas Carol and Muppet Treasure Island. I'm always down for whatever The Muppets do.

Grudge Match with DeNiro and Stallone was kinda cool. The Rocky references made me chuckle.

Watched a lot of movies off HBO but almost all of them are not worth mentioning. The Big Year, Steve Martin, Jack Black and Owen Wilson and The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward what's his name were about the only memorable ones I've seen.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

I recently signed on with Apple TV+ and caught "On The Rocks" with Bill Murray & Rashida Jones. It looked like a "chick-flick", which I guess it is, but I love Rashida and, hey, Bill Murray! The story is pretty uninspiring, but the performances by the stars are excellent. Jones just seems to get better with every project, and she's so beautiful. Murray plays himself, more or less, the rapscallion with the impish grin who gets away with behavior no one else could. The picture is set mostly in NYC and the photography by Philippe Le Sourd is gorgeous, very reminiscent to me of Woody Allen.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I did a google search for Bryan Cranston movies - just picked up the most recent:

2017 The Disaster Artist Himself Cameo
    Power Rangers Zordon
    The Upside Phillip Lacasse
    Last Flag Flying Sal Nealon
    2018 Isle of Dogs Chief (voice)
    2019 El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie Walter White Cameo
    2020 The One and Only Ivan

I didn't even know there is a Breaking Bad movie, any good?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I did a google search for Bryan Cranston movies - just picked up the most recent:

2017 The Disaster Artist Himself Cameo
    Power Rangers Zordon
    The Upside Phillip Lacasse
    Last Flag Flying Sal Nealon
    2018 Isle of Dogs Chief (voice)
    2019 El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie Walter White Cameo
    2020 The One and Only Ivan

I didn't even know there is a Breaking Bad movie, any good?
    If you liked the series you will like it. It basically starts out right where Breaking Bad ending, telling Jessie's story from that point onwards. Lots of cast from Breaking Bad appear in it. Well worth watching IMO.

Speaking of Cranston, it was not a movie, but he played Lyndon Johnson in a one man play which I believe was filmed for Showtime (or one of those). I never saw it but heard it was excellent.

I saw Cranston play the Peter Finch role in the National Theatres production of Network in London 2 years ago.

One of the most impressive pieces of live theatre I have ever seen. Both from a technical standpoint (a fully working news studio, diners being served a full 3 course meal onstage from a fully operational kitchen, actors walking around outside the theatre followed by a remote camera), but also for the acting.

Cranston was astonishing as Howard Beale. He owned tge stage and he used every inch of it. At one point he sat right in front of me (I was second row), and even took a seat in the audience.

And if you know the ending to tge movie, when that happened live I had forgotten about it, and it truly scared the shit out of me, especially as the 'antagonist' sat 2 seats away from me. For a second I honestly thought it was real...

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    It's A Very Muppet Christmas Movie. Amazon only has this as a Prime and I want my own copy. Any thoughts? I found one site, retrotv or something that has it but I can't buy it without sending them cash. I really want this but damn, it's hard to find.
    Where do you live? Target has it. And you can even get it in Blu-Ray from Barnes & Noble. Seems to be out of stock at Hellmart and Best Buy.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Where do you live? Target has it. And you can even get it in Blu-Ray from Barnes & Noble. Seems to be out of stock at Hellmart and Best Buy.
    Thanks Hal. I don't know why that didn't come up in my search results. I have bad ju-ju, it seems. Ordered it and it'll be here in a few days, which is very cool. I've been wanting to see this again for years so this will be a treat. I haven't looked but I wonder if there's a box set of some sort of The Muppet Show from BITD. I did see The Muppets, the more recent show was at Amazon but didn't come across the original. Gonna take a gander right now that I'm thinking about it.

Ok that was weird. They have the first three seasons in separate dvd's but no real box set except one I found that's still not the whole series but it seems to be in French and it's $370. That's not a gonna happen. There's a whole bunch of Best Of's but that's not what I'm looking for but might have to just go with it someday. There's also a slew of movies, Muppets Take Manhattan, Muppets In Space, etc. that I'll have to get someday also.

Forgot about Us. Man, that was totally creepy and cool but that twist ending totally threw me. Have to watch Get Out when I can find it. For a guy who's known for comedy to come up with two really good horror movies, well, I gotta see this and after Us, I'm down.

There was also Black Christmas, a total female empowerment film. Cary Elwes was appropriately cast.

The On Demand with HBO here is quite crappy which is why I can't get the good stuff from them. I just go through the guide and record stuff that sounds interesting and is most times not.

Bad ju-ju is right:

The Muppet Show: Seasons 1-3 for $74.87 on Amazon. Only 3 left in stock. (it looks like it might be out of print)

This supposedly has all 5 seasons for $50. The Muppet Show Complete. I've never heard of the company (cool90s.com) that's selling it. I mention that because I saw another listing somewhere that made me think they're bootlegging it. Who knows? Might want to research them, first.

And then there's this: The Muppets 6 Movie Collection [Blu-ray] [Region Free] on Amazon for $25.

It looks to me like The Muppets might be owned by Disney, now, and when I checked their site, they had all the movies but no show.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Yeah, looking at all that on Amazon was a weird experience. I expected all or nothing and got weirdness. The box set is French but there are seasons 1-3 yet if you buy them all together it's beacoup bucks. Am I getting something better with that or is it the same discs that I can get for 50 bucks? The three season set you mention is more expensive than buying all three individually. So is it better, more stuff? Or am I just paying more for the same thing?

This has been a cool look into this crap. I know MST3K has gone through loads of BS just to get those movies released due to copyright crap and this seems similar. Disney owns a bunch but not all, it seems. Since the movie I was looking for is not Disney, it's out of print and kinda rare. NBC kinda screwed the pooch there, it seems to me. Crikey, it's The Muppets and they really can do no wrong with this brand so just put it out there.

Why the hell did the recent Muppets show get cancelled? That shit was glorious, so reflecting of real life through Muppet eyes. Kermit had a new girlfriend who was a pig, and as he states, he has a thing for pigs. Just too funny. Sam The Eagle as the network censor. Priceless.

I may be an old frakker with nothing to contribute to society but I still have a working brain, supposedly, and The Muppets rock, hard. Just channel your inner Animal is all it takes.

Forgot to add, Their Finest. British film about screenwriters in WW2. Bill Nighy is more than excellent and the rest of the cast are also. Finally found a really good movie from HBO but I'm a sucker for period pieces. Just wish it hadn't had THAT happen(no spoilers) which made sense but really sucked.
    Last edited by TheLoony; 11-15-2020 at 03:32 PM.

Yeah, I was disappointed that the new Muppets show got canceled. It was really funny.

Why do so many really great shows get cancelled is beyond me. The Muppets are such a brand that they can do no wrong yet the show got cancelled. Come on, it's the goddamned Muppets, FFS!

ARGH!

I can watch their version of Bohemian Rhapsody any day, any time. They are just that good at what they do. It's all about money and bull snip but come on, give us something good instead of endless cop shows and what not.

It's a wonder that any show gets a full run these days. Suits and ties have never understood making flicks.

Sorry, rant over.

No, not over just yet.

Last edited by TheLoony; 11-15-2020 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    The box set is French but there are seasons 1-3...

"All 3 DVD Sets - US VERSION and REGION-1 DVD CODED"

There's no where on that page that indicates it's in French.

Am I getting something better with that or is it the same discs that I can get for 50 bucks?
    I didn't really look at that. I was just responding to your comment, "They have the first three seasons in separate dvd's but no real box set except one I found that's still not the whole series but it seems to be in French and it's $370."

Well, I found one in English that's $75.

The three season set you mention is more expensive than buying all three individually. So is it better, more stuff? Or am I just paying more for the same thing?
    Can't help you there. But you can also get used copies for less than $5 each.

When I was in high school, a friend of mine was over and we were watching the Muppet Show. He ran cross country in high school and used to talk about how great New Balance running shoes were. Anyway, Bob was sitting on a Muppet horse singing some song. Check out the horse (I can't believe I found this video!):

My favorite clip from the MS is this, specifically the first minute and a half. To be fair, it doesn't really have to do with the Muppets so I don't know if it qualifies:

When I was little, my brother Frank used to take me to see movies. One of the ones we saw was The Muppet Movie. Great film. had the soundtrack later. Then, last year, for the 40th anniversary, it played for one day at the Cedar Lee Theater, which is down the road from me a bit, so I went to see it again. Still enjoyed it a lot.

Can you picture THAT?!

Hal, I failed to look at the region and coding, I was just going on all the reviews which were in French and the price made me think it was foreign, from a foreign land.

Guess I'll just have to get those three and some of the Best Of's. Not much more I can do.

Loved the Buddy Rich episode and that was six years before I ever stepped behind a drum kit. Never forget what a badass he was.

Ok, back to movies. Buried - Ryan Reynolds. Quite a fantastic one man tour-de-force. All in that wooden box, a great directorial job to make that happen. Didn't catch the directors name, well, not familiar. Ryan Reynolds has really made a helluva a career from his start with Two Guys, A Girl And A Pizza Place(IIRC). Hell, he just bought a Futbol team(read: Fake football aka boring but whatever) so he's made that much dough he can buy a freaking team.
    Last edited by TheLoony; 11-18-2020 at 02:07 AM.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre--a re-watch about gold miners w/ Humphrey Bogart, but still really good adventure film.

Barton Fink--didn't appreciate it as much the first time around, but the re-watch was bliss.

The Silence--Ingmar Bergman film about two sisters, I'm not a huge fan of his, but it was okay. ymmv

The Dead Don't Die. Amazingly crappy zombie movie. Considering the budget and the talent , Bill Murrey , Adam Driver , Cloe Svennywhatever , Steve Bushemi , and more.... it's a lazy waste of time. I think legalizing pot in CA is directly responsible for this. Either it was a result of heavy pot smoking while working or the director died a week into production and the cast and crew didn't tell anyone and finished it with no one at the helm. What a useless mess.

Just watched a rom-com with Anna Faris(kinda cute, gotta say and she shows a lot of skin) and the weirdest thing happened. The TVMALV kinda crap they put up said this film has rape in it. There was obviously no rape in the movie but I wanna ask have you ever seen that before, actual rape mentioned in those advisories? I've seen extreme violence - ETA: graphic violence, it seems - but I can't ever remember seeing rape listed and who the hell said there was a rape in a rom-com? Someone screwed the pooch on that one.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Perhaps it was referring to the Harvey Weinstein rape that allegedly occurs before shooting begins.

You're right. Rape scenes seem to be nonexistent in romantic comedies I have seen.

I have not seen the word 'rape' appear in movie rating advisories. Usually they say "graphic sex" or "graphic nudity" or "graphic violence." When did the adjective "graphic" come to add such supposed awfulness to nouns?

Yeah, it's all kinds of weird. At one point in the flick her girlfriends referred to him as the "rapey guy" but I don't see that as a reason to use rape for even a R rated rom-com. It's slightly raunchy and has some knotty language so the R rating I get but come on, what the heck is going on here.

Yeah, graphic. Just say the word five times fast and all of a sudden it doesn't become a word. Everything is graphic. Or not, whatever, I just hate being played for a fool. I don't need Big Brother reminding me that I'm a fool.

I do think it was an accident that that got displayed, though. Just odd to see something so specific as rape where murder doesn't get that. So rape is worse than murder?

Bloody hell, I need to get out of this room. I'm working on that.

Gotta agree, The Dead Don't Die sucked. WTF with Tilda? It was working for a few minutes but then went downhill quickly and is easily the worst zombie movie I've ever seen, and I've seen some bad ones.
    Last edited by TheLoony; 11-28-2020 at 04:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Perhaps it was referring to the Harvey Weinstein rape that allegedly occurs before shooting begins.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony
    ...have you ever seen that before, actual rape mentioned in those advisories?
    No. But I can see why they'd add it. Not to that specific movie but in general. Imagine a different scenario: an Iraq war vet with PTSD is watching an innocuous movie which cuts to a scene of war. He/she should get some sort of warning, no? But then, I'm of the opinion that rape should never be depicted, anyway, if there's any kind of nudity because it then becomes a visual contradiction in terms.

But, I agree. Adding "rape" to an advisory just because the word is used in the script is going overboard.

The one that gets me is the addition of "smoking" in an advisory. Ever see that one?

The Lie (2018), starring Mireille Enos, Peter Sarsgaard, and Joey King. Saw this on Prime. "When their teenaged daughter confesses to impulsively killing her best friend, two desperate parents cover up the horrific crime with a web of lies and deception."

Good movie. I watched it on a recommendation and just went along for the ride. Note: it didn't score well on RottenTomatoes or on IMdB.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony
    Just watched a rom-com with Anna Faris
    I am familiar with Anna Faris in that I've seen some of her films and can put a face to the name, but I don't know the name of the movie you are talking about. Perhaps I've seen it. Perhaps I never heard of it. Which flick? Apologies if you are a fellow sufferer of movie-name amnesia, and forget the title right after the movie ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal...
    The one that gets me is the addition of "smoking" in an advisory. Ever see that one?
    I notice that one a lot. I suspect it has to do with the changed attitude toward smoking (at least in the US, where many movies are made and equipped with ratings and advisory warnings) and the finding that beyond doubt it is bad for your health to smoke. No question that a lot of flicks made prior to the warning on cigarette packs had characters smoking almost constantly. Not really a bad habit you want to encourage in your children.

I saw a quote recently where someone suggested that one way of getting rid of some of the covidiocy in this country would be to remove the health and safety warnings from everything and let nature take its course. Might even work better than certain officials encouraging the ingestion of bleach.

I see that one all the time, and I agree the warnings are getting a bit silly. That being said, I do find the mass amount of smoking in movies and TV shows to be quite annoying and distracting. Every series I watch now has main characters who are constantly lighting up. I don't have a moral issue with it, I just find it irritating to wait for them and to see streams of smoke spewing across the screen. It distracts me. And with the proliferation of period piece series, we apparently need to be force-fed the fact that most people smoked back in the old days. I like authenticity, but unless the smoking has something to do with the plot, it could be drastically reduced IMO.

But then, we all have our pet peeves. I also hate waiting for audiences to stop applauding during a comedian's routine.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***