Page 221 of 397 FirstFirst ... 121171211217218219220221222223224225231271321 ... LastLast
Results 5,501 to 5,525 of 9912

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    LOVED Man on Fire.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    I really liked Man On Fire.
    Yeah, it's a favorite here. I've probably watched it more than any other movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    The cult movie thing got me to wondering, what movies have you seen at least 10x? And you may include partial viewings, where you saw at least 2/3 of it.
    Those would be my favorite type films:
    Alien and Aliens
    Jeremiah Johnson
    Jaws
    Indiana Jones films
    007 films
    The Thing
    Fargo, No Country, just about any Coen bros
    Psych, The Birds, just about any Hitchcock
    Godfather I & II
    John Wayne & other westerns

Speaking of Denzel Washington , I caught the new one , The Little Things on HBOmax . Its a good one. The three leads , Washington , Rami Malec , and Jaret Leto are ecellent. Its a cops vs seriel killer set in the 80s. Well done , did not go the way I thought it was going to. Some twists and surprises I didn't see coming. Worth the watch.

Speaking of Denzel Washington , I caught the new one , The Little Things on HBOmax . Its a good one. The three leads , Washington , Rami Malec , and Jaret Leto are ecellent. Its a cops vs seriel killer set in the 80s. Well done , did not go the way I thought it was going to. Some twists and surprises I didn't see coming. Worth the watch.
    I want to catch that one.

Wow. We caught The Little Things on Saturday and couldn't stop laughing at it. It was Showgirls level of unintentional hilarity, actually. What a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Wow. We caught The Little Things on Saturday and couldn't stop laughing at it. It was Showgirls level of unintentional hilarity, actually. What a disaster.
    It's always interesting when this ^^ happens.

We watched it this weekend, too. I thought it was decent. Not one of Denzel's best, but nowhere near "Showgirls level of unintentional hilarity," IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I enjoyed The Little Things, it was a fun couple of hours on low content value, certainly not showgirls level, no idea why Malek's character changed from a good cop to a loose cannon so rapidly.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I enjoyed The Little Things, it was a fun couple of hours on low content value, certainly not showgirls level, no idea why Malek's character changed from a good cop to a loose cannon so rapidly.
    Agreed. Malek's character's development was weird.

Also, Malek seemed to be sucking in his cheeks, as if he was still wearing the Freddie Mercury dentures, and it was really distracting.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Malek was the reason for most of the laughs. Fkn horrible.

I'm happy you guys enjoyed it though. To each their own. We kinda enjoyed it too, but for entirely different reasons.

Started a 7 day free preview of the Shudder Channel last night. I am loving this site! Saw a couple of movies last night that were on most of the Best of 2020 Horror lists.

A Good Woman is Hard to Find

A low budget Irish slow burner about a recently widowed young woman (kinda reminds of Kate Hudson) and the lengths she will go to protect her family.
    First half hour is a little slow, but it gets pretty intense after. She also shows there's more than one use for a vibrator.

Revenge

A ridiculously hot girl is the other woman to a wealthy married guy. While spending some quiet romantic time together at a vacation home of his, two of his
    associates show up a day early for their annual hunting trip.She was to have been gone before they got there. You can guess where this is heading. A horrific act
    is done to her, leaving her for dead. Or so they initially think. The film is a story about her will to survive, and get revenge on the three men. Suspend your
    belief and check this one out. One of the best revenge films I've seen. Gritty and graphic.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Also, Malek seemed to be sucking in his cheeks, as if he was still wearing the Freddie Mercury dentures, and it was really distracting.
    That's one of those weird mannerisms actors will sometimes pick up, I assume unconsciously. He used to do the same thing on Mr Robot.

George Clooney use to wag his head from side to side. We'd be watching ER and my ex would say, "stop wagging your head, George."

Jeff Bridges started talking out of one side of his mouth. I started wondering if he had had a stroke.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Started a 7 day free preview of the Shudder Channel last night. I am loving this site! Saw a couple of movies last night that were on most of the Best of 2020 Horror lists
    I almost subscribe to this every day I've heard the Creepshow series is great. My problem is I don't want another monthly charge to add to my many monthly charges

Did you do it through Amazon Prime?
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

That's one of those weird mannerisms actors will sometimes pick up, I assume unconsciously. He used to do the same thing on Mr Robot.
    Yep. I don't think it's because of the Freddie Mercury dentures. I remember him doing that on Mr Robot years ago. Although it actually may just be how his face looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I almost subscribe to this every day I've heard the Creepshow series is great. My problem is I don't want another monthly charge to add to my many monthly charges

Did you do it through Amazon Prime?
    Yes. Take the 7 day test drive and see if you find it worthwhile. Speaking of, I saw a couple more last night...

Mayhem

Horror/comedy starring the guy who played Glen on the Walking Dead. A new and very contagious virus has plagued the world. It affects the brain and shuts down self control and morality.
    Which leads to uncontrolled violence and promiscuity. On the day that Glen is wrongfully fired, an outbreak occurs in the law building for which he was an attorney. The building is quarantined and locked down
    by police and the CDC. Mayhem does indeed occur.This is no slow burner! It is fast, funny, and extremely violent. So, so good!

VFW

Fred is ex military who runs the local VFW center. The regulars are all his military buddies. They pretty much sit around , drink, and bust each others balls. Until a young girl bursts in one night with a
    bag of drugs that she stole from the local gang leader. (for killing her sister). The rest of the film is the guys barricading inside the hall to protect the girl, and themselves, from the gang of punks
    trying to break in. A ton of action, and body count, in this one. Includes Fred Williamson (yes, that one), George Wendt, and the Cobra Kai sensei, among others. Great action film!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

George Clooney use to wag his head from side to side. We'd be watching ER and my ex would say, "stop wagging your head, George."

Jeff Bridges started talking out of one side of his mouth. I started wondering if he had had a stroke.
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Yep. I don't think it's because of the Freddie Mercury dentures. I remember him doing that on Mr Robot years ago. Although it actually may just be how his face looks.
    I don't remember him doing it on Mr. Robot, but it's been years since I saw it, so I probably just forgot about it.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Watched John Wick 3. Not as good a story as 1 but it was totally action packed and fun journey along the ultra violence train!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Happy-Go-Lucky 2008 is a Mike Leigh film about Poppy an eternal optimist living in London. She goes out with her girlfriends, teaches school, takes dance lessons, and driving lessons. Overall it's a slice-of-life film, humorous, warm, and charming. It had been in my Q awhile, I'm glad I got around to watching it.

I got the Empire commercial reference to. Funny movie. I really liked it.
    Seriously nice to know I'm not the only one. I actually got to the point where I'm walking around the house singing that ditty. Which is kinda sad, I think. That and Glen Lerner, damn him. It's a funny scene but being in on the joke helps it a little.

Had a weird bit of synchronicity, or whatever it called.

Just watched this cheesy horror flick The Relic and in it the cop has a lucky bullet from when he surprised a robber trying to get into his accidentally locked car. Bullet never went off although it should, which helps this story not at all.

I put on, right after that, Next Day Air, and the robbers lock themselves out of their car.

Just a tad bit weird, that is.

I think NDA looks good, Wood Harris(Avon Barksdale in The Wire), Donald Faison from Scrubs and Mike Epps, "We top flight security of the world!". Yeah, just a few minutes in and I'm already digging it.

I don't think I mentioned Love & Mercy. How the hell I missed that whole "doctor" part of Brian Wilson's story is still tripping me out. Funny, if I had finished that Laurel Canyon book when I started it instead of putting it aside for a few weeks I would have read it. Still would have been shocked, like, how did I never hear of this? A freaking car salesman saves him? Really astounding he's gotten over that crap and has his life back. Paul Giammati plays a really good asshole.

This and Sideways (We're not fucking drinking merlot!) are classic asshole movies. Plus Thomas Hayden Church as an even bigger asshole in that one. Great scene where Sandra Oh knocks him upside the head with her motorcycle helmet. I need to see that one again.

Another, Bloody Sunday about, well, Bloody Sunday. Really good, puts you right in the middle of that catastrophe.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Happy-Go-Lucky 2008 is a Mike Leigh film about Poppy an eternal optimist living in London. She goes out with her girlfriends, teaches school, takes dance lessons, and driving lessons. Overall it's a slice-of-life film, humorous, warm, and charming. It had been in my Q awhile, I'm glad I got around to watching it.
    First time I saw Eddie Marson was in this film. He was quite good. I remember licking this one.

So I managed to score 3 monthes of Amazon Prime foe free. Checking out the streaming service , damn they have alot of movies. Working off a NYT referal list I caught 2 I liked. First , The Peanut Butter Falcon. , Stars Shia LaBeouf and an actor with downs syndrome , Zack Gottsagen whose charictor has DS. Pleasent mix of comedy and drama., beautiful location shooting in North Carolinas Outer Banks. Definitly enjoyed this one.
    Then , Please Stand By , with Dakota Fanning , and Toni Colette. Functional autistic writes a script for Star Trek contest and trys to make sense of an often confusing world. Well filled out cast featuring , amoung others , Alice Eve and Patton Oswald. Liked this also.
    Then theres , Elseware , a comedt featuring the always watchable Parker Posey . Watched because I watch all Posey related flics. Pretty good , and gently funny. Worth a watch.
    The second Borat movie. Despite some uproariously funny parts , it wasn't as good as the first. I missed some images of the fertility dance because I was laughing so hard I could not see the screen. I there were more strong parts it would have been as good as the first. But alas....

Dirty Pictures documentary about Alexander ‘Sasha’ Shulgin who is the scientist behind more than 200 psychedelic compounds including MDMA, more commonly known as Esctasy. Considered to be one of the the greatest chemists of the twentieth century, Sasha’s vast array of discoveries have had a profound impact in the field of psychedelic research. ‘Dirty Pictures’ delves into the lifework of Dr. Shulgin and scientists alike, explores the world of these scientists; their findings and motivations, their ideas, and their beliefs as to how research in this particular field can aid in unlocking the complexities of the mind. Roku

First time I saw Eddie Marson was in this film. He was quite good. I remember licking this one.
    Shameless name check alert...

I used to work with Eddie Marsan in London in the mid 90s. It was a ticket agency and there were a lot of "resting" actors employed there.

You often heard conversations about auditions that would go for, and usually fail.

The only other notable person that went through there in my 5 year stint was a guy called Jason Barry. He did a BBC play called "O Mary, This London" which was pretty good. In one scene he had to run down a London street stark naked. I think he took a week or two off work after it aired, think he was a bit embarrassed.

But he is best known as the plucky Irish guy in Titanic. The one who has the line about "angels coming out of your arse" near the beginning. After this, he had a few roles that were well recieved, though small. Next I saw of him was in a kind of horror/sci fi movie called Mirrors(?). I would need to go back and look it up. But after that he seemed to fade away.

The interesting thing about Eddie Marsan is that no one knew he was an actor. He never, ever spoke about auditions or anything. He was the quietest, most unassuming guy. He was just Eddie. We went out after work many a night and just got merry.

Then about a year after he left the job, I saw him on TV. I was a bit taken aback, as I didn't even know he acted. It was a show called Casualty, set in a hospital. I still remember the scene. His friend had died and he was taken to the bedside to pay his respects. And I was blown away at how good he was.

After that he seemed to be all over the place. Never in high profile roles sometimes small parts but always memorable. It's fair to say he is more of a character actor, and will probably never play a lead role. But I think he knows his strengths and sticks to them.

My favorite role of his is in Gangster No. 1 with Paul Bettany. The scene in the kitchen is incredible. Dont know it? Watch it.

Plus...he has worked with Scorcese, Michael Mann, Terence Malick, been in the MI movies. Guy has always worked, probably always will.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Dirty Pictures documentary about Alexander ‘Sasha’ Shulgin who is the scientist behind more than 200 psychedelic compounds including MDMA, more commonly known as Esctasy. Considered to be one of the the greatest chemists of the twentieth century, Sasha’s vast array of discoveries have had a profound impact in the field of psychedelic research. ‘Dirty Pictures’ delves into the lifework of Dr. Shulgin and scientists alike, explores the world of these scientists; their findings and motivations, their ideas, and their beliefs as to how research in this particular field can aid in unlocking the complexities of the mind. Roku
    Thanks for this post. I'll look on Prime for this, which will be of keen interest to me.