Page 140 of 397 FirstFirst ... 4090130136137138139140141142143144150190240 ... LastLast
Results 3,476 to 3,500 of 9912

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Anybody catch the Apollo 11 premiere on CNN last night? The footage was indeed stunning, and I really enjoyed the fact that everything you saw and heard (soundtrack music excepted) was archival: no interviews, commentary, or added footage of any kind. Made for fascinating watching on historical and sociological levels as well as scientific. It still boggles my mind that the moon project enjoyed the success it did given the technology of the time and the time frame which they had to work with. Truly one of the most awe-inspiring achievements of mankind.
    Now that I'm an old man, it takes a shit ton for me to get slack-jawed about anything. This did.

Apollo 11 made me gasp at times, and was visually magnificent!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Now that I'm an old man, it takes a shit ton for me to get slack-jawed about anything. This did.

Apollo 11 made me gasp at times, and was visually magnificent!
    Did you see it on the big screen or watch the blu ray?

And yeah...it is pretty magnificent. I vividly recall watching it live as a kid. Was glued to the TV for the whole duration.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Watched Old Man and a Gun last night, not bad character study of a career criminal.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Did you see it on the big screen or watch the blu ray?

And yeah...it is pretty magnificent. I vividly recall watching it live as a kid. Was glued to the TV for the whole duration.
    I recorded the CNN telecast and watched it on my 55' TV.
    Last edited by progeezer; 06-25-2019 at 09:57 PM.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

This morning watched The Wages of Fear (full length version). I've seen it a few times. One of the most tense films ever.

North Avenue Irregulars: this was on TCM last night, a Disney picture from 1979. Edward Hermann plays the new pastor the North Avenue Presbyterian Church. He ends up recruiting a group of women to shut down the crime syndicate running the town. The rest of the cast includes Karen Valentine, Patsy Kelly, Cloris Leachman, Majorie Bennett, Dena Dietrich (do the words, "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature!" mean anything to you?), Michael Costantine, Alan Hale Jr, and, as the Ecumenical Enchantress, Ruth Buzzi!

Yeah, I know it sounds incredibly stupid, but as "family entertainment" goes, it's very funny and entertaining. I've seen it numerous times over the years. In fact, I think my family (or at least me and brother Frank) saw this in it's original theatrical run. Say what you want, I dig a lot of those 70's Disney pictures, from The Computer Wore Red Shoes to Freaky Friday to The Cat From Outer Space.

And as preposterous as it sounds, apparently it's based on a true story. The movie was inspired by the memoirs of one Reverend Arthur Faye Hill, who fought the mob back in the 60's in New Rochelle, New York.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I remember they played that commercial A LOT before the debut of the movie... had everyone really stoked in anticipation!
    Sure did. I was only 8 y.o. and I begged anyone/everyone to take me to the theater to see it. I slobbered over the pix in Famous Monsters of Filmland (I hadn't graduated to Fangoria yet).

Bought a few DVDs with a gift card. One of 'em was......The Martian. Good film. I liked the science. There were, of course some things about this film/story that made me shake my head and Roll my eyes. Good movie but probably won't ever watch it again, or for several years.

North by Northwest tonight on TCM.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    North by Northwest tonight on TCM.
    Trivia question: what is the origin of the title?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Soul To Keep 2019

Took one for the team last night and saw this on Netflix. Please do not make the same mistake!!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Ya know, I actually don't know. I believe I've said this several times before on this forum, but it's been said that Hitch had the finale in his mind, the stuff that takes place on Mount Rushmore, and he went to his screenwriter and said "OK, I need you to get me to Mount Rushmore" or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Ya know, I actually don't know. I believe I've said this several times before on this forum, but it's been said that Hitch had the finale in his mind, the stuff that takes place on Mount Rushmore, and he went to his screenwriter and said "OK, I need you to get me to Mount Rushmore" or whatever.
    Close enough.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I was actually asking Staun. But that's my fault since I forgot to specifically mention his name. Sorry.

I'll wait until he sees my question before I answer.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Rampant--Woody Harrelson, plays a dirty cop whose world is crumbling around him. Pretty good.

Castle Freak--Stuart Gordon, not as good as some of his other horror fare.

The Homesman (2014, Tommy Lee Jones, Hillary Swank).

Slow, slow western. Good story, good acting, but it felt like a long TV episode of some old western show. The ending was very disappointing. I think they kind of left it open ended.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    The Homesman (2014, Tommy Lee Jones, Hillary Swank).

Slow, slow western. Good story, good acting, but it felt like a long TV episode of some old western show. The ending was very disappointing. I think they kind of left it open ended.
    I loved that film.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

It's a good film. There were some WTF moments that left me with an empty feeling, and when the credits started to roll at the end I thought.....c'mon, I wanna know what happens next.

Welcome To Marwen.

Robert Zemeckis latest, based on the true story of an artist who suffers horrendous physical and psychological injuries after being beaten up by thugs.

He begins making model houses and villages, and populates them with dolls based on himself and other people he knows.

It's about a person trying to come to terms with the trauma he has suffered, by retreating into a fantasy world.

It's a little heavy handed and syrupy at times, but I still found it quite fascinating.

I know it was not popular on release and reviews were not great, and I guess a lot of people still expect something of a wow factor from a Zemeckis movie

It also looks incredible...the blending of live action with the miniature world is very well done.

Like i have often said, I would much prefer to watch a movie like this that at least strives to be different but may be somewhat flawed, than a lot of the rubbish that is around out there.

The Edge Of Seventeen. This kept popping up in my Netflix dvd recomedations. I watched it based on the Woody Harrilson clip in the preview. Its a highschool drama but not the usual drek. Thoughtful considering. Amusing and well done. Harrilson is very good , if not brief .

Spider Man - Far From Home.

I liked it. There were a few surprises I didn't expect. Managed to avoid spoilers before watching.

I thought Jake Gyllenhall was having a ball as Mysterio.

Its lighter in tone than the previous movies and comes as a bit of welcome relief after the seriousness of Infinity War and Endgame, though I loved those movies. Character interaction was good too.

And did anyone else get a bit of a National European Vacation vibe from it...especially in the closing credits song?

Some of the effects of the snap take a bit of getting your head round...the fact that some characters have aged 5 years and some have not.

As for the credits sequences...loved the first one, sets up a different vibe for the next movie and harks back to the Raimi era movies.

Not sure about the second one...someone may need to explain that one to me...
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Spider Man - Far From Home.

I liked it. There were a few surprises I didn't expect. Managed to avoid spoilers before watching.

I thought Jake Gyllenhall was having a ball as Mysterio.

Its lighter in tone than the previous movies and comes as a bit of welcome relief after the seriousness of Infinity War and Endgame, though I loved those movies. Character interaction was good too.

And did anyone else get a bit of a National European Vacation vibe from it...especially in the closing credits song?

Some of the effects of the snap take a bit of getting your head round...the fact that some characters have aged 5 years and some have not.

As for the credits sequences...loved the first one, sets up a different vibe for the next movie and harks back to the Raimi era movies.

Not sure about the second one...someone may need to explain that one to me...
    I saw it also.

Overall , a good spidey movie, although I thought too much silly humor.

And I wish Tom Holland would just man up when he puts on the suit. He sounds like an eight year old.

The Raimi films were for the boomers who grew up with the comics and new ones are for the milennials.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Hal, gotta admit I don't know the answer to this one. But I've always assumed it had something to do with the longitude and latitude of Mount Rushmore. I'm not going to look it up as I will wait for your answer.

Watched two extremes over the weekend. Bette Davis in, The Letter. A film which says everything about Bette in my opinion. And Tarantula, one of the great B&W sci-fi's from the 1950's.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Hal, gotta admit I don't know the answer to this one. But I've always assumed it had something to do with the longitude and latitude of Mount Rushmore. I'm not going to look it up as I will wait for your answer.
    I thought I knew but after looking it up, there are various answers. Hitch doesn't really explain it. I guess it was a working title but what I read nearly 40 years ago was that the characters traveled north by Northwest Airlines. And, in fact, Northwest does appear in the movie.