Page 291 of 394 FirstFirst ... 191241281287288289290291292293294295301341391 ... LastLast
Results 7,251 to 7,275 of 9833

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Saw Jonathan Demme's fantastic Talking Heads movie Stop Making Sense Sunday. I had forgotten how good it was, and how deeply embedded Talking Heads music is in my brain.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I finally watched The Batman. I have thoughts.

Cons: Yeah, it was too damn long and ponderous in places. There was also at least two or three endings, one would have been enough. And just a few plot holes but nothing that made me want to shut it off.

Pros: Batman is a detective again. It seems like every Batman since the Tim Burton films have forgotten that. Of course, the Riddler was always a step or two ahead of Batman but it was the Riddler's game to play. Pattinson was fine as Bats/Bruce. A bit angsty but that goes with the territory. I like what they did with Selina. Zoe Kravitz can come by and feed my cats anytime. Gotham as a cesspool always works for me. Jeffrey Wright was a fine Gordon. I'm interested in where the series goes from here.

Regarding DC in general. I'm not a Snyder fan though his Justice League remix was a thousand times better than the Joss Whedon atrocity. But DC's decision to go all dark/grit led to a lot of bad movies. Now they've got James Gunn and he certainly knows how to have fun with superheroes. The guy had a manshark in Suicide Squad. A fucking manshark with Sly Stallone doing the voice for it! And Peacemaker was just over the top glorious, from the title sequence to the tiny judo boy to the references to Aquaman's sexual habits, this managed to have some weight behind its redemption story and yet have so much freaking fun.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

King Shark is awesome! And easy on the eyes THE Suicide Squad and Peacemaker were both a lot of fun!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Belfast--Kenneth Branagh film. It depicts a violent, tumultuous time in Northern Ireland, but it does so through the innocent, exuberant eyes of a nine-year-old boy. It goes into the boy's family life, school girl crush, etc. It was fine, but a bit dull for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    "Guillermo del Toro presents". Has he done or been involved with anything decent besides Pan's Labyrinth?
    Pacific Rim.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Guillermo del Toro--I liked Crimson Peak and The Shape of Water.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Belfast--Kenneth Branagh film. It depicts a violent, tumultuous time in Northern Ireland, but it does so through the innocent, exuberant eyes of a nine-year-old boy. It goes into the boy's family life, school girl crush, etc. It was fine, but a bit dull for me too.
    I totally agree, a case where the acting is superb but the movie, as you say, was quite dull.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Cronos, Mimic, Blade II, the original Hellboy and its sequel. Crimson Peak, and Pacific Rim. Other than that I can't think of a whole lot. At least, that I've seen.
    Pacific Rim and The Shape of Water are awesome (and very different) movies. Del Toro gets the most out of his actors.

The odd man out in GdT's filmog, for me, is Blade 2. I don't like it.

Cronos, Mimic, Blade II, the original Hellboy and its sequel. Crimson Peak, and Pacific Rim. Other than that I can't think of a whole lot. At least, that I've seen.
    I stand by my original question.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

You really don't like The Shape of Water? It seems to be a hit with everyone else...

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    You really don't like The Shape of Water? It seems to be a hit with everyone else...
    I haven't seen that one.

There's also one I neglected to mention: The Devil's Backbone, which I actually started watching many years ago. I got about a half hour into it before my eyelids started getting heavy. I never did finish it, but have meant to.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Hellboy and Mimic aren't bad. If Pacific Rim is the one with the robots with people piloting them, coming from someone who hasn't seen all of it , shit. 10 minutes was all I needed and could stand.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Hellboy and Mimic aren't bad. If Pacific Rim is the one with the robots with people piloting them, coming from someone who hasn't seen all of it , shit. 10 minutes was all I needed and could stand.
    I didn't care for Mimic and I almost never like movies like Hellboy. And, yeah, Pacific Rim:

How does it compare to Empire of the Sun?
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    How does it compare to Empire of the Sun?
    IMO, not as good, and lacking the action scenes. It's been a while since I've seen Empire of the Sun however.

The Ice Road--Liam Neeson actioner tale cobbled together somewhat from The Wages of Fear or the remake of Sorcerer about trying to get rescue equipment to a collapsed diamond mine. For an action film, it's pretty flat with cardboard characters and dialogue. It's hard to tell why this one is so dull for an action film, but I guess it's a bit of everything: acting, hacked plots (evil corporation), unbelievable situations that aren't handled very well, a tough 100lb. 30 year old woman stereotype, the main evil guy has nine lives, and other things. It's was an okay watch, and even has a bit of emotion towards the ending, but some of Neeson's films have been much better like The Grey or Taken. This one skates on pretty thin ice. Netflix streaming

For A Few Dollars More--sequel to Sergio Leone/Clint Eastwood "Dollars" trilogy.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Watched

The Power of the Dog - excellent slow dark modern western with good performance from Benedict

Venom Let there be Carnage - a joyfully silly romp

Moonfall - completely ridiculous bonkers Scifi 'comedy' kinda fun if you park your brain
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

For A Few Dollars More--sequel to Sergio Leone/Clint Eastwood "Dollars" trilogy.
    Don't you mean it's the second movie in the Dollars Trilogy?

Don't you mean it's the second movie in the Dollars Trilogy? Yah.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Watched C'mon C'mon (2021) last night. Guess it was supposed to be artistic. And Black & White. No question the acting by the three main characters was great. But we both fell asleep. And the movie seemed to end where it began, without much progress being made. YMMV, if you happen to like movies about talk and emotion and little else.
    I saw it last night, and couldn't finish it. A lot of the dialogue goes nowhere, and sounds ad libbed in places, not much plot, and what there was minimal. Boring.

We watched Death On The Nile last night, the second Poirot story Kenneth Branagh has attempted. I don't know, I really like Branagh but he makes a lot of changes to Poirot. He's given him a new back story in this film, as a soldier in WWI who gets part of his face blown off and therefore the huge mustache. That automatically makes him born at least 30-40 years later than every other Poirot I've seen. Also, the pacing was really dull. Nothing happens for the first hour, which is the kiss of death for a murder mystery that relies on intrigue to keep the viewer's attention. Then everything happens all at once in the second half and feels rushed. Also, I could really do without the four or five swing numbers played in full, with loud, brash vocals. I'm trying to watch a movie, not listen to a record from the 1930s.

Again, I like most of what Branagh does, and he's got a strong cast to work with here (although I loathe Russell Brand, at least he's subdued in this film), but ultimately he has failed with both of these Poirot adaptations. It shouldn't be hard to get them right... I'm not sure what he's thinking here.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm not a huge Tarantino fan, he always acts high on speed or something in his interviews, but some may like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    We watched Death On The Nile last night, the second Poirot story Kenneth Branagh has attempted. I don't know, I really like Branagh but he makes a lot of changes to Poirot. He's given him a new back story in this film, as a soldier in WWI who gets part of his face blown off and therefore the huge mustache. That automatically makes him born at least 30-40 years later than every other Poirot I've seen. Also, the pacing was really dull. Nothing happens for the first hour, which is the kiss of death for a murder mystery that relies on intrigue to keep the viewer's attention. Then everything happens all at once in the second half and feels rushed. Also, I could really do without the four or five swing numbers played in full, with loud, brash vocals. I'm trying to watch a movie, not listen to a record from the 1930s.

Again, I like most of what Branagh does, and he's got a strong cast to work with here (although I loathe Russell Brand, at least he's subdued in this film), but ultimately he has failed with both of these Poirot adaptations. It shouldn't be hard to get them right... I'm not sure what he's thinking here.
    Saw it in the theater and pretty much agree with your assessment. I didn't hate the film, but it could have been better.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Everyone suffers in comparison to David Suchet.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.