Page 224 of 397 FirstFirst ... 124174214220221222223224225226227228234274324 ... LastLast
Results 5,576 to 5,600 of 9912

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

[QUOTE=spellbound;1028940]
    Bug - a recent purchase of a 2006 William Friedkin movie I don't think I saw before. Two people descend into madness (contagious, it is) in what may have been the beginnings of Qanon. Movie made from a play takes place in a motel room. I liked it.
    That's the one with Ashley Judd, isn't it? That was a weird movie.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Yep. Ashley Judd & Michael Shannon.

The Shooting (1966), streaming on TCM. Stars Jack Nicholson, Warren Oates, Millie Perkins, and Will Hutchins. Kind of a strange western with a back story that isn't entirely clear. At the beginning of the movie Willet (Oates), a bounty hunter turned prospector, returns to a mining camp to find his friend Coley (Hutchins) all by himself and hiding out in a mine. Coley explains in flashback that a couple days prior, Willet's brother Coin lit out early in the morning. Leland, their other partner, told Coley that Coin rode a man and child down in the street in a nearby town, possibly killing them. Coley then explains how shortly after Coin's departure, Leland is shot and killed but Coley doesn't know by whom. Shortly after Willet's return, a woman (Perkins) walks into camp and hires Willet and Coley to lead her to a town located several days ride away. Most of the rest of the movie plays out with them traveling across a desert.

I know I'm not explaining a lot but I'm avoiding spoilers.

Directed by Monte Hellman, best known for directing Two-Lane Blacktop (the movie with Oates, James Taylor, and Beach Boy Dennis Wilson), The Shooting is a movie with little exposition, requiring the viewer to infer much of what's really going on. Plus it has a bit of a surprise ending.

It's worth a watch.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I saw the movie you describe (The Shooting) not long ago on television. It was pretty interesting and not a typical cookie-cutter Western.

Unrelated, our broadcast channel "Grit," which showed Western movies 24 hours a day, no longer comes in here. One less thing to watch while we are stuck at home, with the slime coming out of our TV set.

I caught "Heaven's Gate" for the first time the other day(s). I had always avoided it because of the terrible reviews and the nearly four hour running time, but I have to say I liked it.
    Yes, there are far too many scenes of people sitting and staring at each other, or into space, with nothing going on. And I definitely could have done without the huge, choreographed dancing and roller skating scenes.
    But the story itself is good, and the direction and photography are first rate. Very detailed and authentic set design and what seems like thousands of extras. And an excellent cast: Isabelle Huppert, Sam Waterson, Chris Walken, Jeff Bridges. And Kris Kristofferson who's not much of an actor in my opinion but was ok here.

We watched I Care A Lot over the weekend. Rosamund Pike deserves all of the awards - she's such a great villain. And of course, Peter Dinklage is excellent, as always. This one didn't go the way I thought it would, and that's a good thing. This film is extra "scary" for many of us here, who have aging parents, or are of an advanced age already. The sad part is that the evil-doing in this is "legal" in several U.S. states.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I agree on the Lily James comment

However as nice as the Dig was it was historically inaccurate.

DtB

We watched Mank yesterday. I thought the acting was very good and the film had a great look and tone. It seemed to stray from its own plot quite a bit though, which was odd, but overall worth watching. At one point, the actor Wallace Beery is mentioned, just in passing, but it was noteworthy to me because my grandfather used to do stand-in shots for him back in the 1930s because they looked so alike.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I highly recommend Nomadland (2021) starring Frances McDormand living out of her van.

It's free on HULU
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I highly recommend Nomadland (2021) starring Frances McDormand living out of her van.

It's free on HULU
    It just won the Golden Globe for best picture of the year last night.

I Care A Lot

Netflix original. Started off pretty interesting for a bit and then it just got completely ridiculous. Except for maybe the somewhat satisfying (but soooo predictable) final scene, the only thing I liked about this film was seeing Peter Dinklage. The writing in the last 1/3 is so lazy and lame, but props to the actors for doing good with what they were given. Awful!

2 out of 10 Peter Dinklage is awesomes
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I Care A Lot

Netflix original. Started off pretty interesting for a bit and then it just got completely ridiculous. Except for maybe the somewhat satisfying (but soooo predictable) final scene, the only thing I liked about this film was seeing Peter Dinklage. The writing in the last 1/3 is so lazy and lame, but props to the actors for doing good with what they were given. Awful!

2 out of 10 Peter Dinklage is awesomes
    LOL. I liked it. Like, I'm not giving it any awards or anything, but I'd give it a solid 6 out of 10.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    No Twin Peaks fans?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

You mean like these?

Absolutely.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    LOL. I liked it. Like, I'm not giving it any awards or anything, but I'd give it a solid 6 out of 10.
    Oh man...I was cool with it for the first hour and had a good, strong hatred for this heartless beeatch goin , but when suddenly she turns into James Bond I was like...oh cmon!! I just thought the writing absolutely sucked after that especially the last 20-30 mins. But hey...glad ya liked it!

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    You mean like these?

Absolutely.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I watched Unforgiven the other day. Again. I don't know why. It's really not that interesting of a movie... other than the last 20 minutes, of course.

One of the things I've always liked about it is how scared of getting into a gunfight even the deputies are. Westerns often gloss over that aspect but it was very common, from what I've read, that the vast majority of people shunned gunfights. That's one of the things movies like High Noon, Shane, and even Blazing Saddles got right. And of those people who didn't shy away from gunfights, most weren't very skilled at shooting. So, I like that some of those deputies clearly have the drop on Clint but are too scared to shoot at him, too afraid of his reputation. And of those who did shoot, couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.

The other thing I really like about it is how William Munny is really a bad guy, when you get right down to it. Sure, he turned his life around, but he killed women and children as an outlaw and yet you still can't help but root for him as he kills indiscriminately as revenge for what happened to his friend Ned. He even shoots one guy in the back. So while he was once a ruthless villain who didn't care who he killed, one of the last things he does is to warn the town not to hurt the whores, making him a hero. At least to the hookers and the viewer.

One thing that always kind of cracks me up is how defiant Little Bill is when Will tells him he's there to kill him and Bill moves in even closer to Will, making his death all the more certain. Gene Hackman is so good in that movie.

Also watched The Electric Horseman for the umpteenth time. It was first released when I worked at a movie theater when I was 16. It's still enjoyable after all these years.

Finally, I also watched Our Idiot Brother last night. It stars Paul Rudd, Elizabeth Banks, Zooey Deschanel, and Emily Mortimer. Everybody was good in it. The story not so much.

Finally, I also watched Our Idiot Brother last night. It stars Paul Rudd, Elizabeth Banks, Zooey Deschanel, and Emily Mortimer. Everybody was good in it. The story not so much.
    One of the most idiotic movies I've ever seen. The only thing good about it was being able to ogle Zooey Deschanel.

I watched Unforgiven the other day. Again. I don't know why. It's really not that interesting of a movie... other than the last 20 minutes, of course.

One of the things I've always liked about it is how scared of getting into a gunfight even the deputies are. Westerns often gloss over that aspect but it was very common, from what I've read, that the vast majority of people shunned gunfights. That's one of the things movies like High Noon, Shane, and even Blazing Saddles got right. And of those people who didn't shy away from gunfights, most weren't very skilled at shooting. So, I like that some of those deputies clearly have the drop on Clint but are too scared to shoot at him, too afraid of his reputation. And of those who did shoot, couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.

The other thing I really like about it is how William Munny is really a bad guy, when you get right down to it. Sure, he turned his life around, but he killed women and children as an outlaw and yet you still can't help but root for him as he kills indiscriminately as revenge for what happened to his friend Ned. He even shoots one guy in the back. So while he was once a ruthless villain who didn't care who he killed, one of the last things he does is to warn the town not to hurt the whores, making him a hero. At least to the hookers and the viewer.

One thing that always kind of cracks me up is how defiant Little Bill is when Will tells him he's there to kill him and Bill moves in even closer to Will, making his death all the more certain. Gene Hackman is so good in that movie.
    I love that movie!

The Richard Harris (English Bob)/Gene Hackman(Little Bill) scenes are the best
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I have a question for the class....

What actor (s) do you dislike that everyone else seems to enjoy? Based solely on their performances, not because of
    any religious, political, or social leanings.

When I think of this, Clive Owen comes to mind first. I honestly do nor get what people see in him. All he seems to be able to do is brood. Or be a dick law enforcement person.
    Not believable as a tough guy. I've actually laughed out loud at him in some of his films. (not meant to be comedies)

Yours?
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Yours?
    Jack Black. I find him utterly intolerable. To the point where I hit the mute button even when he appears in things like Rush documentaries, etc. - you specified 'based solely on their performances', but even in interviews, he's performing.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I love that movie!

The Richard Harris (English Bob)/Gene Hackman(Little Bill) scenes are the best
    So do I. In fact it's one of my all time favorite Westerns.

Yours?
    Colin Farrel...his eyebrows are distracting

I have a question for the class....

What actor (s) do you dislike that everyone else seems to enjoy? Based solely on their performances, not because of
    any religious, political, or social leanings.

Yours?
    Nicholas Cage.

I would say Adam Sandler, but everybody seems to think he's an imbecile, so he doesn't fit the criterion.

The worst movie of the year, Coming 2 America with Arsenio Hall and Eddie Murphy, James Earl Jones and other notables. It is so bad from the very start and I'm checking out at the 30 minute mark.